Sign in to follow this  
thedillinger

Eat, Sleep, Drink

I am enjoying the game so far. It has a cool concept, creepy and unique look and tone. My only issue so far is the time it takes in between having to eat, sleep and drink, etc. I am having a hard time exploring and finding clues before being distracted by my characters needs. I also feel the night and day cycle is too short. If my nourishment stats didn't drain so quickly, it would make the exploration much more enjoyable.

I ABSOLUTELY agree with this. I would recommend that the developers look at other survival games like Ark Survival Evolved (I've logged nearly 1,000 hours on that I think...). In any event, yes survival includes eating/drinking/staying warm/etc. but there's also a point where in order to explore I have to go away from the water, bring some food with me, etc. The day/night cycle on this game and the incredible need to go resupply constantly means I always feel rushed to explore and never have enough supplies, though I want room for new things. Also, unlike Ark, this game has sleep as a requirement. That's another pain that I can't seem to power through. Something like illegal "caffeine" in this game may not be bad but the day/night cycle and rates of hunger/thirst are huge. I understand that some supplies are scarce, but clearly not all of them are. Look at water- in the shady district, it is incredibly plentiful and in the nice district it is laced with joy but still readily available. Thirst shouldn't be something I constantly have to attend to, nor should hunger/sleep.

*In short, please lengthen the day/night cycle and make the rates less tedious. I understand you want them there, and as I said I have no problem with survival, but if eating/drinking required too much time, then in Ark it means I wouldn't bother taming/riding/hunting dinos and, likewise, I don't have much interest in exploring in this game. This micro-management of needs is a pain and hinders exploration at present.

Thirded.

I have a feeling this feature is going to take at least five or six iterations to get right.

Make the needs timers too long, the feature fades into the background.

Make them too short and it pulls the player out of the immersion for a tedious minigame.

Right now it's way too short.

I say make it like humans really need. Three meals a day, sleep every 12 to 17 hours. The days just need to last longer. If every hour were maybe 5 or 10 minutes instead of 1 minute, I think that would help significantly.

I agree, and I read someone else's post about how the time ratio could be extended from a one second equals one minute in game, to a three to five seconds equal one minute in game, it's a marginal change but could be too lax, at some point in the next six months of the alpha you could try that out and see if it makes the game unbalanced.

I do feel some kind of balancing needs to be done though, as I too find myself spending a majority of my time in the game trying to find sustenance and a place to rest.

Totally with you on this one. The game is fun to explore and interact with, but you're stopped so often to fuel up again it becomes a bit of a drag. Perhaps some of that is intentional, whereas you just go through your regular daily activities, eat, drink, sleep, start it over again, but it's just not as fun that way. Either make time go by slower (which I recommend, as that'll affect everything) or make resources go down slower. Much, much slower.

I completely agree with the fact that there is way too little time between the need for food/water/sleep etc. Most of my time playing the game lately has been spent on just trying to find resources. This could ruin the game for a lot of people and make them not want to play it for very long. I like the survival concept but this game doesn't seem to deliver it correctly.

Hi there! Yes the game currently is work in progress and the balance of the game will change often. It is very delicate because it is all tied together with the loot that you get that can be a bit random, the quests you complete also give you rewards, and we will add more of those too, etc. We can also give more or less loot in the starting shelter to give a head start. And of course we will be tweaking the survival needs depletion rates and also looking into the duration of the day.

We will keep tuning and balancing the survival needs and daytime as best as we can so that it is enjoyable and does not become a chore.

Thank you all for the feedback!