Sign in to follow this  
MISFIT

What type of drug IS joy?

So, from what I have seen in the trailer/the inhabitants of the lovely town of Wellington wells, I think I have figured it out. Joy is both an opiate, with a bit of cocain. The reason I say opiate is that in the game informer featuring we happy few, it said that "under the masks there are wild, staring eyes filled with fear." Most drugs (especially opiates) cause paranoia. Also, the towns people are extremely aggressive (side affects of cocaine and methamphetamines) correct me if I'm wrong on this. Thanks!

Hey @MISFIT!

Sorry for the tardy answer, I was away on vacation but I am back now :)

Joy is for sure a mix of several drugs, not the drugs in their entirety though, just some effects from various types.

What comes to mind first is Ecstasy (for the Euphoria + Energy), a hint of LSD in there (Psychedelic + Paranoia) and a little bit of cocaine (for that extra Umph and aggressiveness). The memory loss is a bit trickier to associate to common drugs. The only drug that comes to mind is Rohypnol (Roofies) but I believe the memory loss effect goes hand in hand with the fact that it is an ultra potent sedative/sleeping drug. I am not sure we can pick that one apart and say that Joy contains some of it.

As for Opiates, I am not sure... I believe an Opiate would slow down your entire body movement dramatically and is more used for physical pain like morphine no? As you know, the Wellies can run ;)

What do you think?

I would first like to say thank you for even reading it (nobody from E.A ever does something like LISTEN. Or think for that matter) while yes, opiates do slow down your body, they are heavily addictive, lead to disfiguration, and do one other thing important to joy. They make you feel invulnerable, and reduce pain and fear. While I'm not trying to correct the developer (seriously, no sarcasm. You guys are awesome.) I do believe joy is sort of like a faux-opiate, mixed with cocaine, a little of meth, definite elements of ecstasy and LSD, with a pinch of strong bourbon.

@MISFIT

Because Joy is fictional, we don't really have a definitive answer for that question, so we are pretty much free to debate it for fun with the community :)

You seem to know way more than me about Opiates, if you feel Joy has some in it, then it does!

The only thing I know about Opiates and more precisely Opium, is from Tintin xD

TS7ICec.jpg

Ah Tintin, you little scamp.

Incidentally, Tintin is awesome. It was originally distributed in groups of 4 panels - so every four panels contains some sort of joke, event, or revelation. It was only later that it was turned into books.

Joy reminds me the 'Pretty lesions' in Scott Westerfeld's series Uglies. When someone turned 16 s/he underwent full body modification that included (but was initially unknown about by the common citizen) a brain modification to make that person 'bubbly.' It made them mostly forget all about their years previous to the surgery and gave them a constant high of happiness (bubbliness). From what I've gathered about Joy, it reminds me very much of this concept.