Sign in to follow this  
Guest Anfo

Joy meter explanation

Guest Anfo

Hello

Maybe I'm not alone, but I mistakenly clicked too fast through the in-game explanation of the Joy meter. I was wondering if someone might explain the different facets of the Joy meter and the consequences of loss or gain of it's attributes please?

Guest Meetrock

You have 2 meters actually (sort of). One for how much joy is in your system, when it's full, you are intoxicated by the joy, meaning you won't be able to run faster and have less stamina, you can't craft some stuff as well (I might be wrong). Always keep your joy level at the middle, only re use the joy when you are close to withdrawal so you don't suffer from these penalties. The second meter is for memory loss, the more you use your joy, the higher your memory loss. I think if you take joy at least 7-8 times-ish, you will have a %100 memory loss, fatigue, hunger and hydration, meaning you are weak, you need to rest, you need food and you need to drink, and people will spot you being sad/upset easily. Another weakening factor, is the joy withdrawal, when the joy if flushed out of your system, you show symptoms of it, the only problem with it, is that villagers can spot you easily, so always try to hide.  If you can't handle these penalties, consider crafting sunshine, it imitates joy, but has no penalties.

Is there any way to get the memory loss meter to go down though? Seems like as you go through the withdrawals and over time the penalties for using it should go down as well since some areas its unavoidable to use

Guest Anfo

Oh right, thank you. If it wasn't clear I am speaking of the large meter with the word Joy in it. As opposed to hunger/thirst/sleep meters.
So Joy should be in the middle of the meter and I can regulate by popping Joy - got it.
Some final confirmation questions please?

1. If I am devoid of Joy, I could spontaneously go into withdrawal? I think that is when it goes red with an "eye" logo?
2. The line wrapping (and increasing it appears) around the Joy meter is memory loss?
3. This happens after taking 7-8 Joy pills?
4. So the more it wraps, the more memory loss I have? This is the one that most concerns me.
5. Apart from the resulting hunger, thirst and fatigue, what is the result of 100% memory loss? Do I perhaps black out and appear in a random location? This happened to me once and I didn't know what caused it.

Guest Anfo
5 minutes ago, Ragnar0k n Roll said:

Is there any way to get the memory loss meter to go down though? Seems like as you go through the withdrawals and over time the penalties for using it should go down as well since some areas its unavoidable to use

Good question. If the meter can only go up and memory loss is inevitable, then from a story POV every citizen popping Joy must experience memory loss on a constant basis.

Guest Meetrock
On 8/25/2018 at 4:01 AM, Guest Anfo said:

Oh right, thank you. If it wasn't clear I am speaking of the large meter with the word Joy in it. As opposed to hunger/thirst/sleep meters.
So Joy should be in the middle of the meter and I can regulate by popping Joy - got it.
Some final confirmation questions please?

1. If I am devoid of Joy, I could spontaneously go into withdrawal? I think that is when it goes red with an "eye" logo?
2. The line wrapping (and increasing it appears) around the Joy meter is memory loss?
3. This happens after taking 7-8 Joy pills?
4. So the more it wraps, the more memory loss I have? This is the one that most concerns me.
5. Apart from the resulting hunger, thirst and fatigue, what is the result of 100% memory loss? Do I perhaps black out and appear in a random location? This happened to me once and I didn't know what caused it.

1. Yes, when you see the the meter going red with the eye, it means you're suffering Joy withdrawal, which only affects how other NPCs see you.

2. Yes, the wrapping around the joy meter is the memory loss, once it's full you'll suffer from fatigue, hunger and thirst, some crafting penalties are also applied (You can craft basic stuff, but you can't use a crafting table for advanced stuff, you can't sleep or sit on a bench or hide in a trash bin until the effect wears off).

3. More or less, yes.

4. It's iterative, having memory loss doesn't affect your character as far as I know, it's just a mechanism to make you think strategically, sometimes you hit the 100% memory loss during a fight, which hella hard to handle since you're very weak and can't hide. I've had 6 full memory losses with Arthur, then decided I should use an alternative, which is sunshine, I crafted a whole lot of it (around 200) that lasted me through the entire journey, both main quests and side quests. For Sally, do the same, she can craft a lot more sunshine, and for Ollie, just don't take any Joy or sunshine, he's supposed to be joy-free (you'll understand why).

5. Blacking out and appearing in some other place is caused by the fatigue, not the memory loss. Once you feel very fatigue you'll black out, once you feel very hungry or thirsty your health starts going down. Memory loss does all of them more or less, it triggers a fatigue, hunger and thirst, their meters all go down to 0%, so you need to act fast.What I did to solve this problem, is stack up some coffee and some food, coffee will cure the fatigue AND thirst, while food cures hunger.

On 8/25/2018 at 4:04 AM, Guest Anfo said:

Good question. If the meter can only go up and memory loss is inevitable, then from a story POV every citizen popping Joy must experience memory loss on a constant basis.

The memory loss meter doesn't go down unless it reaches a 100%. And yes, it was proven through the story that the citizens are facing severe memory losses.