Sign in to follow this  
WasabiIceCream

Inventory and UI Management

Just a few ideas to make the inventory a bit easier to navigate and manage.

I think all the items should be color-coded by their use.

So, like, drink items could be Blue, Food could be Yellow, Weapons could be Red, Equippables could be Green, and pure crafting materials could be Grey.

These are just examples, and would probably need color-blind options as well, but that would tell you exactly what items you had.

Another thing that would make looting quicker and easier would be some tooltips while looting, and being able to pick individual items to loot without bringing up the entire Inventory. Maybe show what tools can be created with the loot that is found before it's picked up, or its stats if it's a weapon or something.

I'm sure you guys have already thought of things like this, but these are just things that glared at me during my 5 hours of play today.

Thanks in advance!

Thank you I agree. My biggest complaint for the game is that I can't see anything on the inventory screen. It is a pain to see which item is highlighted or not. Also I think the map is a little annoying to use and I'm not sure if compulsion did this on purpose or not but it would be really helpful if for quests I knew where I was going. That crazy guy with the dolls wants me to rescue peachy? Well where is peachy? Oh he marked locations for items to craft a first aid kit. I am seeing nothing of the sorts. Those are my minor issues. But overall I love the game and I'm. throughly enjoying it so far.

I think all the items should be color-coded by their use.

So, like, drink items could be Blue, Food could be Yellow, Weapons could be Red, Equippables could be Green, and pure crafting materials could be Grey.

This has been on the table for a while, and we sent out a user survey during Kickstarter backer alpha. There's some unforeseen issues like red items registering as "broken" items rather than weapons. And having that many colours just plain out looks noisy. I want to get it right, but categorization is definitely in the works.

Another thing that would make looting quicker and easier would be some tooltips while looting, and being able to pick individual items to loot without bringing up the entire Inventory.

That's a bit contradictory -- the goal of the quick loot window in the HUD is to be able to make a quick snap decision about looting or not looting without losing control of your character while it's up. If you need full control over the looting process, that's what the inventory loot is for.

Maybe show what tools can be created with the loot that is found before it's picked up, or its stats if it's a weapon or something.

I feel like that might be a bit heavy handed, but it could be prototyped... If anything, it'll tell us at a glance if something isn't very useful. ;)

It is a pain to see which item is highlighted or not.

I actually implemented a new inventory highlight last week, it should make it into the next update.

it would be really helpful if for quests I knew where I was going.

Some of what you describe are just plain oversights or bugs with the quest tracking and map markers -- unless it's a trivial objective, most of them are supposed to have map markers. We've been fixing these over time, next update should be much improved on that aspect.

Rotation of items in inventory would be nice too!

As would a weapon switching animation, instead of having to stare at the inventory UI while you get whaled on lol