Sign in to follow this  
EzraFier

Hunger, Thirst, Sleep

I got this game through Steam early access and so far am enjoying the concept of the game. I've got about 2 hours into the game thus far (just bought it today) and so far my only complaint is how your hunger, thirst, and sleep depletes so fast I found myself constantly on the search for resources as opposed to doing any missions. I would understand if eating healthy food would last longer as opposed to rotten food but it seems like what you eat matters very little to how long you're able to stay "full." Thirst has the same issue but with water spouts available throughout the area it doesn't seem as cumbersome yet the constant need to check and "refuel" so quickly detracts from the ability to focus and complete missions. I like the mechanic overall but it needs to deplete much more slowly in order to enjoy the mission/story aspect of the game as opposed to simply walking around trying to find items so you don't starve to death or dehydrate.

I'll second this, too. I was left wandering around for what seems like a very short period of time (especially during the exploratory stages of the game) before I was forced to retire to my safe house. Later I tried to steal some sleep from a bed in a house but an angry mob came and killed me. Without beleaguering the semantics of the game, how is it that there isn't a spare bed anywhere but there are spare dressers with consumable goods just hanging around the abandoned houses?

I think a small reduction in the depletion of status/effects could do some good.

It feels like I'm constantly abandoning objectives to find water and food then it's time for a nap; same feedback as the three members at the start of this thread. I'm looking forward to any future balancing on this :)

I'll add my quick agreement here, in particular the sleep cooldown seems a bit restrictive since you can only refresh in a bed and it impacts time of day, whereas the others can be reset using a variety of items throughout the world.

Perhaps it's more an issue with the speed at which time moves in the game, rather than the cooldowns themselves? I feel like if a full day took longer in-game, maybe this would be a bit friendlier to players in trying to manage sleep, hunger and thirst.

Thanks Clement and the team for taking our feedback :-D

I also agree. There's not enough down time to explore and do objectives without having to constantly be looking for food/water/beds. Longer days or a slower timer would be much better.

using the canteens allows you to have water for days, as well as having easy access to it through the pocket inventory system. All they really need is a tutorial to get this across :)

The water is fine for me. I have a bottle that I can full. It holds 3 waters in it. Its the food that keeps killing me and need for a lot of sleep that keeps killing me!

- Wake up hungrythirstybritishcomplaining at tube house

- Drink water. eat least dangerous foodthingy

- Open menu to plan next step

- Check available quest info, choose best option

- You're thirsty

- Check map and plan route

- Route planned, double check weapon health, inventory

-Shit, time got away from me. Tiredness at 75%

- Rush to clear some inventory space and get up the ladder

- Oh god shit the canteens need to be filled

- Get outside, rush to spigot, drink, fill the canteens

-Hunger approaching 50%

- Eat again, drink again, open map to double check

-Tiredness now at 50%

- Ugh. I head toward mission objective

- character starts complaining again, comments on needing a bed

- omgf I just GOT OUT THE DOOR

- Patience at 0%

- Change course, now heading toward the closest shore

- hungrythirstybritishcomplaingsleepy meters can blow me

- Ocean finally in sight, break into a sprint, full charge for the water

- He's suffering anyway, it's for the best

- Reach the cliff's edge at full speed and jump as far out into the water as my half starved, semi conscious body will allow.

- I hit the water and lean back in my chair, finally able to take a breath.

- Funny, the water must be freezing and now he's not whining at all

- I plummet toward the depths, my vision fading, hungrythirstytiredbritish meters depleted

- Finally. Peace. Plus the water doesn't carry sound for shit so fuck him if he's talking anyway I JUST HAD TO KILL HIM HE LEFT ME NO OTHER CHOICE

- Goodnight, sweet prince

- exit game, defeated and head directly here because omg, devs.

devs

fix this. please. before anything else, fix this.

you built this wonderful, beautiful thing that people will remember ten, fifteen, twenty years from now

its going to change all of your lives forever. its a bioshock. its a fallout 3. everyone's going to get laid

but this goddamned survivaloOHMFHFSF KHJ OGOgGG

please. i dont think i've ever actually killed my own game character to shut him up before, and if i did, i definitely wasn't that enthusiastic about it.

i just wonder how much customization there will be in this at the end. it's difficult to find a balance that pleases everyone's taste. The food and sleep seemed a bit too quick, or more or less catered to a certain play style. You set those hourglasses and it limits the play style. i'd like to be able to adjust that. (sliders? on/off)

Unrelated, was I missing the map button? are there any quick keys? No offense to the in-game interface menu, but I remember in the Witcher 3, you could cycle through each category, and then do what you wanted re: inventory, character, potions, or glossary/bestiary... but, the main difference is... the game was paused! :P it's weird selecting to use something and having the menu block 90% of whatever it is i'm doing (getting attacked again maybe). If crafting is going to be a big aspect of the game, provide a quick key for it, same with the map, weapon selection etc.

And, i'm sorry! But, i was hoping for a lot more buildings that you could actually go into.. it seems a bit copy/paste..

I'm going to make some coffee now, and i'm going to start back over... i apologize for any criticism seen as negativity.

Really good job being EA. Thanks!

I also agree I think you should lose food and water if you sleep or at least not as much.... Plus the drain rates should be adjusted slightly... adjust them to much and it wont feel survival anymore....

Yeah you definitely get thirsty, hungry and tired too quickly. It feels like all I do is look for food water and beds. I really like the game, I just think that need to be tweaked a little.

I agree that Thirst, health, and hunger is definitely too short of a time frame. During the first hour of play I felt that I had to feed my myself at least 5-6 times and when I finally got into the swing of things, I had to sleep.

Yes, I agree. Also I am running out of "good" food and haven't got many anti-sickness drugs left. i seem to be finding much more rotten food than good food, but that may be due to being in the garden zone? Therefore getting out of the zone may need to be a priority?

No, guys and gals. I can admit when I'm wrong and I'm admitting it now. I was wrong to complain about the harshness of the survival system. I didn't understand that there's greater meaning behind it. I just answered another player's question about the lack of police presence in this section of the city and in the process, came to realize that this game is way, way darker than I had any notion of.

I don't want to type it again, so here's the thread link:

http://compulsiongames.com/forum/discussion/2604/are-there-supposed-to-be-cops-roaming-at-night

The concentration camp thing makes sense., hence my previous comment about getting out of the zone being a priority. However it would be nice to be able to get some quests done first!

I about shit bricks halfway through that cop response post when it hit me, but I think I felt more like jerk for totally missing the point, complaining about something I didn't even understand and not giving the developers their due. They know what they're doing. I'll go back to catching bugs.

I agree that the hunger, thirst, and fatigue meters run down too quick. I understand it's a bleak world, but I want to explore more before I have to rest and such.

I think that's the point they're trying to make. You're not going to run around the entire map in full sprint, burning down your quest load and checking every part of everything if you're A: freshly detoxing off of powerful medication that you've been on for years, especially when you're still dabbling in it just to stay awake due to the fact that B: your diet has recently been adjusted to revolve almost entirely around spoiled foods, antibiotics and hardcore recreational drugs, homemade and otherwise.

I strongly feel the survival needs to be balanced out better , or perhaps even make it an optional feature . Enjoying the game so far and can't wait to see what gets added in future patches .

Ya, I totally agree.

The joy falling to 0% after reaching 80% also feels quite silly. I think the survival aspects should be halved to allow for actual exploration. Worst case, make hunger, thirst, and tiredness decay at half the rate, but also make them less available.

I completely disagree with those saying its hard, since running away from enemies, etc feels quite manageable. The survival in its current state is merely tedious.

[really do love the world you've created. very excited to see what it becomes.]

I agree, it really does take away from the main point of the game if I am on the constant search for food and water ALL the time. The water not so bad, but the food is trying. I could eat and literally 60 seconds later I am hungry again.