Sign in to follow this  
Otherbuttons

[Questions/Discussion] Wellington Wells!

I was having a millionth second look over the PAX videos and screenshots, looking at the setting more than anything this time... and I really have to say, well done Compulsion for how accurate you've made Wellington Wells to a small English village.

Having grown up in a town not far away from the countryside, I've seen my fair share of Wellington Wells': tiny villages where you're pretty certain that if you're not local, you're going to die or become local (League of Gentlemen hit the nail on the head). Brown brick, cobblestone, weird pub names, pointed roofs and crooked houses are a normal thing for some of the elderly towns or the ones hidden in forests or in the middle of the moor. I really wish I could say that the citezens weren't accurately creepy too, but honestly tiny South-West English villages are straight out of horror movies with the vines they give off. Of course WW has its candyland goodness added on, but past that it's on-point.

anyhow without the tl;dr...

First up, two questions:

1) Were there any specific villages you based the visual appearance of WW on? Or was it just a case of researching it all in general?

2) Long shot, but is Wells a reference to another little 'perfect English utopia/dystopia'? I reference because the ever brilliant Hot Fuzz was filmed in Wells, Somerset. If not, it's certainly a funny little coincidence!

And also to discuss with everyone: What are your favourite parts about the setting, and perhaps what are you most looking forward to seeing? Or any opinions on it in general really. Scenery talk, yay! Let's admire the beautiful game world.

We did watch and love Hot Fuzz, and the creepiness definitely comes from there among other places. But it's Wellington Wells because Tunbridge Wells is Everyenglishvillage, and our citizens are "Well, well, well!" hence the reduplication. But then making it Wellington Wells makes the citizens Wellies, and they are insulated from the outside world, as if they were wearing wellies. And the Iron Duke is a great English hero who won a great battle against a continental dictator ... Few names in We Happy Few are there accidentally. Wait till you get to the thiomotiline.

Honestly I completely forgot there was anything that far into the South-East. Googling it though... Yep, looks like every other village; stuck in the old ages yet shops from the recent times.

The fact that there's that much into the name makes me overjoyed! It'll be fun trying to figure out all of the references/where it came from.

i- is that a reference to Thiotimoline? is this going to get scientific?

Thank you for the answers!~

A~nd now you've lost me.

I know science up to basic understanding of Schrodinger's Cat and other theories a friend discussed with me a few years back. |D Perhaps I'll learn a thing or two from the game!

Another relevant thread question:

I was showing my housemate the trailer/PAX footage, and I realized that the bins looked a lot like a certain classic plunger-alien.

This wouldn't be the first Doctor Who reference, so I have to wonder if that was on purpose?

If you think something is on purpose, it's probably on purpose. Or at least subconscious. Unless it makes you mad at us. Then it's completely accidental.

Will there be a salvage/crafting system in the game + a continual over-arching story (I know you guys said Wellington wells would be procedurally generated) or will you drop us in and let us fend for ourselves until death, running around evading the angry inhabitants? Or something new?

@MISFIT Yes, salvage/crafting is in the game, as is a continual over-arching story. And we'll drop you in and let you fend for yourselves until your death :) Ultimately, whether you choose to pursue the story or not is up to you, but it'll be there when you want it.

Bringing this back for more ~area questions~.

Seeing what the map looks like in game, is Wellington Wells a set of islands or is that just a borders thing? Because of how thin it gets down here, we have a lot of coasts in the south-west, so I was wondering if that was a part of why it was chosen. Or was it more historical thing to do with the occupying in the world war? A lot of down here did get bombed (particularly Bristol) and Plymouth has the navy.

Also not related entirely, but the Wastes really remind me of certain places of Dartmoor. The buildings aren't quite as bombed, but they have that outside-of-the-village brick look to them. It's really cool to notice similarities with how close things look, so kudos to the designers for the realism. ♥ and kudos because i'm going to exploit that for glorious cosplay photos

Is the name Wellington Wells also a reference to the character John Wellington Wells from the Gilbert and Sullivan opera The Sorcerer? He was the eponymous sorcerer who dosed an entire English village with love potion, so if it's a coincidence it's a crazy one.

@Otherbuttons I'm not entirely sure about it having to do with historical or actual geography, but from a Gameplay standpoint, we needed to have a way of separating the different areas and making a funnel (bridges) to have some transitions/challenge between those areas. Some other ways of separating the areas have also been discussed, but you'll have to wait and see in a future update ;)

There's some (probably accidental) influences from Fahrenheit 451 by François Truffaut. That film is a mid-sixties dystopian production as well. And it's got the same sense of modern society being seriously wrong. Technology is going backwards. Television is government propaganda to get over there's no mental stimulation from books or thinking. The population routinely take stimulants and sedatives and overdoses are common. It all looks safe and reassuring on the surface, but the police state is efficient and ruthless and your neighbours can inform on you so you get a visit from the firemen. The whole world is on the brink of war, so the only rational course of action is to escape before it breaks apart.

I love the intro to this film with a spoken voice and the zooming on the television aerials. The music is amazing as well, ranging from (1) soothing propaganda music from the cousin announcers, (2) the nightmare string sections as Montag does his job as a fireman and risks getting caught and (3) the hope theme with harp and strings at the end as Montag joins the rebels and lives out his life as a book.

If you haven't seen it, it's a classic British dystopia film and it is highly recommended by me. It was the film that came to mind when I first saw the Kickstarter video.