Sign in to follow this  
Zhuzha

A question about masks.

As we all know, all Wellies wear a mask that somehow locks their facial muscles in a permanent wide grin.

But why does nobody seem to mind the protagonist not wearing one?

Are the devs planning to add a mask item that can be worn for additional conformity points? Or is wearing a mask, while heavily encouraged, isn't mandatory? Or as long as you're smiling, Wellies don't care if it's natural or mask-induced, so we're meant to assume that whenever Arthur walks past a Wellie, he simply puts on a forced smile?

I can't find it at the moment, but in an earlier post I believe it was @Sam who confirmed that Arthur is in fact wearing a mask as well. Also, the art piece Whitney made for PAX East 2016 has Arthur at the front with a mask on.

f5ec73c22cf631bb43dfe0194a759fc0_original.png?w=639&fit=max&v=1461968486&auto=format&lossless=true&s=bffeb4513668d7de3edfe7d484d64e6f

Oh, okay then. I was under the impression that Arthur's not wearing a mask because of his picture in the inventory screen.

I assumed it wasn't a "hard rule" so much as a "social convention" (could be wrong about that), though It makes sense that the protagonist would wear a mask, too. Pretending to be a wellie would probably require smiling a lot, after all, and the mask helps with that. Can you imagine how much everyone's cheeks must hurt?

It can be a bit confusing, for sure. But logically he'd have one from the start after escaping from the city, and would have to keep it on to fit in past the Garden District.

And physically speaking @Protagonist, smiling requires far fewer facial muscles than frowning does. So after awhile it would probably feel like having a straight face.

@Iris_Lockspur that is actually no fact. Just a common misinformation that people like to spread because it bears a nice message :) And it definitely takes more effort than having a plain expression :D

You mean the nice lady from that etiquette class my parents made me go to lied to me? (I joke, of course.) From what I've read around it's really up in the air whether or not it's true or false. Though I like to think it true, my face tends to hurt more after bouts of upset than it does when I'm happy and been smiling a bunch.

But no argument over it being more strenuous than a straight face.

Yeah, in reality it is just impossible to determine what a smile is and what a frown. Is smiling just pulling up your mouth a tiny bit? Or showing teeth too? And does the wrinkling of the eyes count towards this muscle count? But whatever, smiling is more fun anyways :D (also makes for nicer wrinkles, later on in life)