Otherbuttons

WHF: We Happy Fanart??

This sketch happened as a consequence of work avoidance and liking the character designs. Sorry for the lack of polish.

tumblr_nq6gke9xFl1un8nxio1_1280.jpg

I also think "Incipient Wastrel" would be a great band name.

@SyAlmans Lack of polish? It looks perfect!

*printing it to put on our wall*

Do you mind if I add this in the fan art section of our update on Kickstarter today?

Sure, go ahead. To be honest it's partly a consequence of cooling my heels waiting for the Kickstarter to go through so I can have my pre-alpha pack. I'm actually freelancing as an editor/localizer for another game and discovered I'm one of those weird mutants who enjoys trying to break early builds, so...

Oh, I did have a question: Are the Wellies using masks or makeup? I went with the latter based on Jack's broadcast, but Jack's an actor -- the advertising photo definitely looks more mask-like. At the same time I could swear some of the footage I've seen depicts Wellies moving their mouths, so I'm not sure which design was settled on.

@SyAlmans

I love the expression on that oh gosh! She looks almost feral.

Also, they confirmed they're masks (I thought it was makeup at first too).~

Also not related to the reply:

I'm going to be doing an art stream later on, and I'm basically just going to be drawing more We Happy Few (and possibly a comic to do with Satan herself). I'll be taking doodle prompts too if anybody's about.

It'll be starting around 7pm GMT (so around 2 hours) over at my Picarto.

There'll be art, and 60s music, and me babbling on about art and my thoughts on the game and probably being a fangirl to be honest (run now).

Thanks, @Otherbuttons . Masks are definitely more interesting in a conceptual sense, since they prevent you from seeing any expression but the eyes and the lack of expression as they scream and whale on you is nicely dissonant. The uniformity of masks also renders everyone effectively anonymous, which seems like it might have a tie-in to whatever crime led them to take Joy in the first place. If there's no individuality then there's no "self" to blame, after all...

@SyAlmans

They seem- at least to me, looking at it from a costumer's sense- to be latex-style face masks? They attach to your face quite securely but it also means they can move with your expressions. It would mean you'd still get a human sense of expression and speech such as Jack (and others I've seen in game) have, however it almost pries open your eyelids and forces a smile.

At least that's what I've gathered? I could be completely wrong.

@Otherbuttons

Latex or silicon application, fixed with some adhesive, does seem like the most logical option from what little I know about costuming and makeup. Also, if you've worn a rigid mouth-covering mask you know that the condensation gets slightly oppressive. (And would raise the question of how they eat.)

Not that it really matters insofar as the game is concerned, it was just something that struck me for Art Purposes when I was trying to decide if I should give the wastrel a facial expression or not.

@Naila

That'll be brilliant, thank you! (I'll be sure to send everyone to the Kickstarter from there too ♥)

@SyAlmans

Mmm, that is a thing. Masks are always going to have condensation troubles no matter the type anyway, so it'd probably just be something they'd have to deal with.

I've personally got to try and figure it all out for cosplay purposes, but yeah it does help with figuring how the face works.

Wow this stuff is great. Nice work!

If I have fan art to post, should I bother with starting a new thread or should I just post it here?

Hey guys, because I like We Happy Few so much (no really :P), I decided to just make a 3D model based off it. It's inspired by We Happy Few but isn't meant to be a direct copy. I'm fairly new to 3D modelling, so forgive my model if it's bad please! :P

0sOjeUV.png

I can't wait for you guys to release the game :P

Ah what the heck, I'll post it here. Here's some fan art I made the other day.

tKcrizy.jpg

For those who are interested,

@fwiller

This is really lovely. The light-bounce on the mask is especially cool. (As is seeing people draw with a tablet. You kids these days with your Photoshops and your layers and your copy tools - although weirdly watching how you did the wallpaper was especially fascinating.)

@Fwiller

Since we don't have a creative forum space I made this one for everyone to post art in. ♥ I'm super glad you did because holy crap! I'm in love with that colouring style (and the eyes are spooking me out in a good way).

@Spiderman555

Ooo that thing's creepy. It reminds me a little bit of Five Nights at Freddy's too?

@SyAlmans

Thanks! I'm glad you liked the video. I always find that it's pretty neat to see 7-8 hours of work condensed down to 2 minutes.

@Otherbuttons

Thank you! And thanks for making this thread! If there's one thing every forum needs, it's a place for fans to post their artwork. :)

@Otherbuttons

Yeah, I tried my best to make it as creepy as possible, especially with the lighting :P

When I was making it, I remembered the Marionette from Five Nights at Freddy's and took some inspiration from that as well, that's probably why it reminds you of it :P

The eye needs some work though (it's mishapen).

Thanks for the feedback :)

I'm super nervous in posting this, I recorded it at 2AM...probably should have not been so sleep depraved, but I hope you all enjoy:

Note: This is just a fan created project that I will continue if I have permission from Compulsion. I do wish I had some of the music from the game for future episodes though, lol.

@BeyondSpectrality

That was pretty neat :D. I like the idea of a reporter investigating (and getting trapped in) Wellington Wells. Great work :)

@BeyondSpectrality

Your voicing is really neat! Agreed with Fwiller, the idea of it is rad.

However wouldn't it be better to wait until more about the backstory and such is released? Unless you're not too bothered about it matching up, it might be hard to report on details without any details released, etc.

I haven't decided yet, I might do episode 2 and pause there for awhile. Because you're right. I want to know more about Wellington Wells and I do want it to be accurate.

Thanks for the support, I'm glad you liked it. The idea spawned from my passion for the old Twilight Zone radio shows. This was my first attempt at trying something like it.

@BeyondSpectrality

Well whatever you decide to do, I'm certainly interested in seeing (i guess hearing) what happens to Casey. :)

tumblr_nqco8bT35w1s7eaz7o1_1280.png

And another of- surprise surprise- Mr Sideburns. I promise I'll draw someone else next time. Maybe the mad Scotsman.

I had to research so much 60s advertising/colours for this, and even now I'm not entirely happy with it (i've been staring at it for 3 days so it might be my eyes) but I tried to get that old bleached/contrasted 60s advertising style down as much as I could.