Sign in to follow this  
LuminalSquid

WHF mite help me with my depression.

I know this is kind of heavy but its basically about taking antidepressants and trying to hide the overwhelming sadness coursed by some types of mental illness. the idea for the game seems almost the same as how i fell about my depression. I don't know if any one reading this has depression (or any other mental illness) but the games idea seems the same as what i and friends have to do on a daily basis. I feel that people without an mental illness want people to hide what they feel. I feel like i have to pretend that i'm happy, i have to take antidepressants that don't work and i want to be able to feel happy but at the same time not to have to pretend so I'm not judged. I want to know if any one else feels this way or thinks it could help to stop the stigma around mental illness.

Hey @LuminalSquid. All topics are welcome - and thank you for posting. Any posts you want to make will be welcomed and supported here.

I can't answer for anyone, and I have very limited experience with this subject. However, members of our community and of the public have drawn the parallel a few times since we announced the game a year or so ago (I have seen it in blog comments, reddit posts, etc). So, even if people don't reply on here, there may well be others thinking along the same lines as you are :)

@LuminalSquid I can attest to some of the same feelings too. I've been struggling a little bit with workplace depression (doing much better now), and in a workplace environment, you really feel the pressure/expectation to hide whatever negativity you're feeling. Whenever coworkers ask me how I am, I've often said, "I'm good", and then under my breath muttered "Snug as a bug on a drug" :P

The fact that the developers based some of the Joy/Downer culture on the "happy Facebook (or Internet in general) culture" also gives people that kind of feeling too.