Don't know if this is a bug, for I have only failed one quest (and by failed I mean beat an old lady over the head with a shovel), but when you do fail a quest, the Quest stays in your quests journal, however it is marked red and the objectives are crossed out. Is this supposed to happen or is this just an error? If in the future maybe have it move to a Failed Quests category below completed. 
The quest in question is Madame's, Magic Wand.

Cheers

-Artyom

You did the same thing i did. Lol ive been wondering if there is a way to go around that to redo the quest. Ive lost two so far. That and the one with the motilene spill. The bobbies started chasing after me working on another quest and i killed them by mistake. 

Guest Meetrock

I think you can't do the quest again once it fails. A tip I can give is always make saves, I always save my progress when I end a quest or I'm about to start a quest in case I fuck it up. Also, when you try to load a save, the game offers you to start from the last hatch you visited, so in case you started a quest without saving and fucked it up, and you have visited a hatch prior to that, you can use it.

Hi TheTeaWolf,

You are correct in your assumption that once you fail a quest by "beat an old lady over the head with a shovel" then you will not get a second chance to give it a shot. Unless you have a save game previous to you failing the quest it will stay red and you cannot redo it.  It is not a bug.

Hope that helps!

Regards,

-Mike