Sign in to follow this  
Protagonist

Navel Gazing/Speculation on Wellington Well's Ideology

Oh, I was just thinking about our good friends the Wellies and what their outlook might be like. Some of this might be obvious or inaccurate, but I feel like speculating anyways:

It would make the most sense if their ethics were some kind of perversion of hedonism/utilitarianism. If something makes someone happy, it is therefore ethical. If something makes someone unhappy, it is unethical. Therefore every sentient being has a moral duty to be happy and not get in the way of the happiness of other beings.

Due to Joy being a pill that, essentially, makes someone happy, at best, refusing to take it is neutral. Since depressed people can cause distress to others, expressing sadness is therefore, evil. More over, since dead people don't feel pain, putting someone out of their misery is therefore, a good idea. Individual life only has value due to its ability to create happiness, after all.

It's not 100% clear from gameplay, but the intent of the Wellies in beating you about the head and shoulders is to get you to take your Joy. Sometimes they get a bit carried away, of course. But they are not actually intending to kill you, even if they do. They think they're helping.

I don't think they think overmuch about ethics. Ethics make people uncomfortable. They try to avoid thinking too deeply about anything. It tends to lead to remembering things.

I personally think that the Joy pills have a deeper meaning than to just make citizens happy or euphoric like many modern-day recreational drugs. Since the E3 trailer which shows the pinata turning into the rat, the Joy pills seem to not just put Wellies in a state of euphoria but actively alter their perception of the world around them.

Granted, the pinata turning into a rat could have been used just to shock the audience and act as an event to make the protagonist not want to take his joy (thus, moving the story of the trailer forward) but I doubt this.

For me, there seems to be a bit of a discord between the E3 trailer and some of the other trailers/gameplay so I guess we will just have to hope for an new Early Access trailer to give us some more evidence to work with!

@JaamesPatterson, without spoiling much, Joy does in fact alter the world. Instead of it being overcast it'll appear sunny and lovely. Colours pop more. Things will be cheery, maybe some butterflies will appear.

Also, what you saw at E3 was not a trailer, and was in fact live gameplay. I highly recommend giving the game a try next month when it hits early access!

Makes sense-I can't imagine Joy is particularly conducive to forming comprehensive ideologies :).

I could, though, imagine Uncle Jack espousing something along these lines as a rationalization for their actions.