Sign in to follow this  
Naila

Pre-alpha Build 13: PAX East 2016 Demo!

Hi everyone!

This month’s build is a little different to our usual update. We have created a short, demo version of the game that we showed last week at PAX East 2016, and we would love to get your feedback on it on the forums.

It’s a little different. Items will be easier to get (in fact, we’ll straight up give them to you), the game world will be much smaller, and there are a bunch of new features we have created. And you escape in a slightly different way...

We’re looking for feedback on everything in here. We want to know about all the little things that drive you nuts. We want to know about the weapons that don’t feel great. We want to know about the weird things the Wellies do when you throw the berserk bomb. Do stealth, conformity and combat work well enough? Basically, this is our chance to take a look in the mirror and fix up all the little things we’ve ignored until now.

“But Compulsion, I don’t want to play the small map!” If you want to roam around the previous version, you still can! It’s available on the “oldschool” branch on Steam, which does not require a password to unlock.

Here is a short summary of the changes:

World

• Smaller world.

• New building generation system is in, meaning that the Village and Garden District are more densely packed. This should also mean no more missing bridges.

• Massive art upgrade to the Garden District. No, really. Literally everything in the Garden District has changed.

• Garden District buildings now have gardens! Finally. It’s like we weren’t even trying before.

• The train station is back, temporarily. Good luck getting in!

• Village security systems have been upgraded - be careful.

• There may be some useful loot in the Village safe house.

Gameplay

• Improved tutorial/intro experience.

• 5 new encounters! These are the first “real” encounters that show what level of complexity we’re aiming for.

• Manuals have been added! These allow you to permanently modify some built in stats, like your stamina regeneration and stealthiness. These do not persist across playthroughs.

• New “second chance” mechanic. This will be a more forgiving alternative to permadeath, where instead of dying outright, you are given a chance to recover.

UI

• New HUD! The needs system (including health) has changed, and is now represented by different icons at the top left of the screen. We now have location text letting you know where you are, and a suspicious icon will pop up when you’re breaking the rules.

• You now have a status screen! The ? screen in the player menu has now been activated, and can tell you all about what kind of state you’re in. Keep in mind that the art for the player menu is still placeholder.

Performance

• Improved optimization for low end machines. We need to review the default settings for Low - Ultra, but all settings should be improved from previous update.

• Load times have been improved, but this is mostly a consequence of the smaller map. We are doing work in the background on improving this for the main map.

Dang im going to be house/dog sitting all weekend. Its like xmas morning has been delayed by 4 days. :P Still, this is super awesome! Thanks Compulsion!

You weren't kidding when you said it was small! I crashed after trying to throw a molotov but hopping back in now. I really love the bridge crossing, and all the little scenarios. owo

@Naila, whoever decided to put that little pun about Mrs. Stokes being off her rocker? Give 'em a good slap on the wrist for me. (I jest, of course.)

It was such a terrible pun but it really made me laugh a bit more than I should have.

Hey @Iris_Lockspur!

Thanks for reporting the crash. We'll be putting up a patch today with a few crash fixes - it should fix the molotov crash as well.

Guillaume.

Not a fan of the new survival stats and notification icons. They don't feel like the real We Happy Few, the new ones are so generic compared to the old stuff, and they're a lot harder to read that the colored bars, at least for me.

I personally really like the new icons. I found the old bars cumbersome on the screen whereas I find the new circles easier to grasp at a glance. Really impressed the build as a whole so far. The second chance mechanic helps me get less frustrated.

@wellet24, @OG_Jester, thanks for sharing your thoughts!

I actually agree the HUD icons feel generic compared to the rest of our UI... I didn't like the idea at first, but I have to admit it's grown on me. It is very toned down, but the purpose behind it was to make the HUD better at telling you what's wrong at a quick glance. Having the needs bars plus a status icon (and the masked lady, not my best idea) didn't register very well in focus testing, but after making the change, it was clear from our first prototype that this was better messaging. So I came to accept that sacrificing style over function is the right choice in this case.

@Camille, maybe include a setting to switch between either? I really liked the Wellette face indicating just how suspicious you were looking to others, because there were multiple phases so it made it a bit easier to judge just how close you were to being found out. (Could change it to Arthur's face if you don't like the Wellette. I bet @Otherbuttons would appreciate his face always being visible.) The big red eye doesn't really say anything to me except "Hey, this area is off limits." since that's the only time I ever saw it appear was when I was inside of a restricted zone.

I won't go into detail about how I feel about the rest since I put it all in my big feedback post. But I just really don't get the needed info out of the new icon system, even after spending 3 hours testing everything last night.

It might just be my computer (she's a little dated but she deserves love), but the new build is not running anywhere nearly as smoothly as the last, and the graphics are way chunkier than before. Combat is also a bit more difficult now (I was never very good at combat in the first place, but I've died like five times today just trying one on one combat).

@wellete24. that's odd... I felt like the combat was made a bit easier, at least with the Bobbies. But I understand combat being difficult with lag. When I first started playing the game I had so much trouble landing hits because of frame loss.

It's possible all the new particle effects could be causing some performance issues on your machine.

Hello! Just thought you should know there's some problems with the save and quit button (although it might be my computer I didn't think so though) . When you press the button it logs you out fine but when you press continue it starts all over with the same message about how you're a downer and Mrs. Stokes is still in the trash can, so if you don't have a jimmy bar or the pieces to make one you're going to die from starvation or dehydration. Also, the game is just a little slow which makes combat a little more difficult for me at least. Again, just thought you should know not trying to complain :)

@wehappyfew2u thanks for bringing this up to our attention, we are currently working on the issue :)

Do you mean the game feels slower than before or did you always find it slow?

I think it's always dragged a little bit but now it's even slower. And I've never claimed to be the best at combat, but now it's pretty difficult to kill a wastrel that doesn't even have a branch. Sill not complaining though.