Sign in to follow this  
TheTeaWolf

Pre-Alpha Build (the newest)

As a streamer i these are some comments I personally had as well as well as some of the people who watched had:

Pros

• Everyone loved the music and how it looked; consistent art style and period accurate music created immersive in depth experience.
  • It took 2 hours to find both the service hatch and the broken multi-tool
  • my previous issue with the bunkers being too dark have been fixed

Cons

• Obvious city mesh collision issues
  • The top of the building where you get the multitool are personally way to dark
  • the nights are personally way to dark
  • No way to tell what your sleep, hunger or food levels are without having to open the settings and turn it on.

Gameplay Suggestions

• Quicksave button
  • maybe funny reactions or something if you wear no clothes, even if Arthur says something, currently its like wearing a proper suit
  • add way to check hunger/sleep/thirst in journal
  • Maybe make the frequency of hunger/sleep/thirst a SMIDGEN longer

Thanks again guys you really made my day

Talk to you again

-The Tea Wolf

• Like 1

I think that the inside of the multitool area is super dark to force you to craft a torch (also a vast majority of the components are on the ground in front of you at the window entrance, furthering suggesting the crafting). I noticed the torch doesn't illuminate other areas of the map well however, and so I agree on that one.

What's your twitch channel? I'm twitch.tv/lucigen and I've streamed this game a lot but I'd like to support others who are doing the same!

I can agree on the level of darkness at night. I think there's something up with the lighting engine because it just goes to pitch blackness after a certain hour at night and it's like wandering in the pawn shop without a torch.

And to add to the reactions, I want to know when people are looking at me like a loony wearing a shrubbery.

Hi guys - can you please post up some screenshots of situations when the lighting is too dark? We've experienced something similar internally once but had thought we'd fixed it.

Edit: it is possible that this will be fixed in the next update - we've been changing the global lighting a bit the last couple of weeks, and this may have the result of fixing the issue. Having said that, because we haven't been able to replicate this, I can't confirm if it will be fixed yet. So, any screenshots (whether it is now or next patch), along with a description of how it occurred, would help us a great deal!

@Iris_Lockspur @TheTeaWolf thanks guys! This screenshot is a good start. If you can remember anything unusual about what you were doing, it might help us reproduce it :)

@Sam, the video can be found here:

(The game lag and audio latency of the video is on my end. I forgot to turn off something in the program, and that's why there's that little square up in the corner. It's recording things twice. Also, video is unlisted so no one can see it except for people who click through from here.)

I've found that outdoor lighting is the main cause of the blackness. Outdoor sources of light or light used outside causes everything around it to get incredibly dark, to the point it's near impossible to see. This is really only prevalent in the Garden District, since most buildings are open-air.

I did some tests with the magic fountain tree, wherever there are candles or lanterns, and using the torch while outside at night and those are some of the prevalent causes. I only showed a few things in the video, so I'll leave the further spotting to you guys. Inside of houses in the Village seems to be fine. Not sure about the City or around parks. I am playing on (I think) medium settings. Could actually be High.

Definitely +1 for the too dark! After 11pm particularly in the Garden District it's really almost impossible to navigate, even with the gamma way up. Everything on Ultra for me.

Outdoor sources of light or light used outside causes everything around it to get incredibly dark, to the point it's near impossible to see.

Yeah, that's what I expected. Unfortunately, a lot of our night lighting values were set with no external lights and eye adaptation enabled, so they'd look right once the "eye" is adapted. But as soon as you have an external light source in the scene, the eye adaptation kicks in and overcompensates for that added light. Very much like the human eye losing night vision when exposed to bright light, except it's currently way too intense. Ironically, the torch makes this problem worse by virtue of triggering this problem.

We've been working on addressing these extremes in lighting, but since it's been slowly creeping in with every bright material added to the game, it's going to take a bit of time to fix all of these cases.

Sam is concerned that there may be a separate bug where everything is dark regardless of external light sources -- if there is such a bug, I'd definitely want to figure out where it's coming from since that would fall more into my (programming) purview than art issues.