The51stDragon

Game Should Not Have Released

We Happy Few has a lot going for it including a groovy art syle, intriguing plot and characters, and engaging gameplay systems.The problem is that the game runs terribly on PS4 PRO and suffers from a host of annoying bugs and glitches, ranging from mildly annoying to game breaking.

The frame rate chugs along, often dipping well below 30 fps, which is odd because I know the PS4 Pro can do way more than this game seems like it would demand. I can only imagine the dumpster fire this is on the base Xbox One. 

A number of quests are bugged so that you cannot complete them. Icons stay on the map even after you finish the mission, The sad thing is I am not sure if that is some sort of feature or another bug. You will get stuck in scenery and enemies and corpies will often freak out and do crazy glitchy stuff.

The bottom line is this game was rushed to market because August is realistically the last month this year this game could hope to compete. it seems they felt they had to get it out. As a result the reviews are terrible and sales in turn will be terrible, threatening promised future content and patches. Its a shame because the core game itself is pretty good. 

I have read devs saying a patch will be along in the coming WEEKS. That really isn’t good enough. Who even knows if they will fix everything or if you will have to start a new game once (if) they actually patch this crap because old saves will probably be irredeemably broken. We shouldnt be walking on eggshells trying to pray we can get through an up to 80dollar game. I can already smell Gearbox and Compulsion trying to cut the cord on this.

Sad. The devs probably wont even respond to this because they know its all true. i suggets everyone go to their retailer and ask for their money back.

Edited by The51stDragon

Guest Hmmm.

I am certainly glad that I have not experienced the problems you seem to be having, aside from icons staying on the map. I purchased this game two years ago and I can remember the first time I played. This game has come a long way, I cannot say that I feel that it was rushed. With all the effort they have obviously put into this game, I also do not see them abandoning it as quickly as you seem to think.

Also, game seems to be reviewing just fine.

I don't know about the PS4 but I've been playing on PC and have had very few issues, the worst I've experienced is a a quest breaking bug for one minor and unimportant side quest, Hive Mind. Perhaps what you're experiencing is a bad port?

10 hours ago, Shibou said:

I don't know about the PS4 but I've been playing on PC and have had very few issues, the worst I've experienced is a a quest breaking bug for one minor and unimportant side quest, Hive Mind. Perhaps what you're experiencing is a bad port?

Considering how this game began as an Xbox exclusive title in 2016 and on release it is by far the most broken version. While I'm happy you're not experiencing what others are....just look at the support forums to see just how many are indeed having terrible issues with this "final version game build".

I am on standard xbox one with a ssd external drive the game is saved on and have no real frame rate issues.

Unknown if the ssd is truly helping this performance, but theres that 

I'm also playing on Xbox One and have had the game for about 2 years in Game Preview mode. I am floored at how far the game has come, both graphically and with the story. I'm only about 4 hours in and I can't wait to find out more (I'm currently stuck on a quest but it's not a game bug - I just keep dying LOL).  So far I haven't experienced any frame rate issues or story/quest glitches. I have had one crash, but that's the only negative so far. (For the record, I do not have an external hard drive on my Xbox One; the game is loaded directly from the console.) I'm really sorry to hear PS4 people are having a difficult time. The game is fabulous and definitely has a lot of potential. I'd at least give the devs a chance to gather all the comments and come up with a patch... they have years of blood, sweat, and tears (and money) invested in this; I doubt they will throw in the towel immediately after launch. FWIW, I've always had great responses from their customer service/support team in the last 2 years in preview mode.

• Like 1

I agree that the game is severely bugged but I still can’t stop playing it haha

as for the quests and dig spots not disappearing I found that if you save and quit then go to the main menu, once you return to the game they finally disappear. Tedious I know but I’m sure it’ll be fixed in an upcoming patch. 

Having had the beta game from the start and playing both on Xbox one (primary) and pc, I found the progress very impressive. 

• Like 1

Bugs I've experienced off the top of my head:

1. Graphics menu not working, pressing space doesn't apply changes You have to exit to menu and reload.
2. Reticule being dot when it says circle in the menu.
3. Icons on the map which should be static, moving and shifting about.
4. Icons on the map not matching up to the Legend (orange filled circle where there should have been and objective point)
5. Pause menu items highlighting two at a time.

Save games not actually saving your location, just progress is this intentional? It moves me to outside of the building or area.

Edited by dr_zoidberg590

Guest The most important thing..

I feel as if the producers have done the bare minimum to meet their legal obligations to the financial backers, and released this game not caring what the impact might be. I hope it's removed from shelves and retailers refuse to sell it. I also hope Microsoft retract their offer to make compulsion games part of their studio group. Further more, other than the researchers and designers for the scenery and characters, I hope none of your company ever works in any media position ever again.

10 minutes ago, Guest The most important thing.. said:

I feel as if the producers have done the bare minimum to meet their legal obligations to the financial backers, and released this game not caring what the impact might be. I hope it's removed from shelves and retailers refuse to sell it. I also hope Microsoft retract their offer to make compulsion games part of their studio group. Further more, other than the researchers and designers for the scenery and characters, I hope none of your company ever works in any media position ever again.

I respectfully disagree. If you had followed the development of this game you would know how much work as has gone in to WHF and how much the devs care. Yes there is an argument that perhaps it should not have been released in its current state but to vilify the team in that way is just unfair.

• Thanks 1

Guest dr_zoidberg590

I agree that's too far, we just need to fix this.

Guest Agree

I wouldn’t go so far as to say the game was released to soon… It seems it does have a few more than the typical release glitches though. Constant crashing, very poor frame rates, constant reloading in the middle of scenes, glitches in the scenery where you get stuff done nothing, buged quests… I’ve experienced all of these!   A forthcoming patch is good news… But it would be better sooner rather than later.

Im amazed by everyones opinion and feelings about this game. Ive been waiting for the game to come out since 2015 when a friend send me a video of it. I watched the whole walk tru of the early released and got me pumped to get it. Patiently i waited and got my hopes up and heart broken with each time release and dates pushed back. Finally it came out. Ive been playing it, not as the mayority seems to be frantically playing it. Ive savored and enjoyed the beauty of the game. Yes enjoyed it, down to the hilarious glitches. It has bugs, yes i give you that. But coming from a time when games where squared up shadows and tini lil boxes, and you had to blow in to a cartridge to make the game work, or tamper with the door, oh and lets not forget adding cardboard to hold the game down so the damn thing worked, i trully can appreciate the craftmanship of this game. Im surprised that all of the people crying about the bugs in the game, havent discouraged the makers of this game to give up. All that whinne just shows how impatient some of you are. Im happy with my glitches. Im sure with time the developers will get them fixed. Im glad i can be part of this project and help them figuring out the wrong to see this awesome game evolve and grow. So yeah get some cheese for that whinne, you knew what you sign up for bro.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Guest Papabear

For PS4, I have to constantly save for fear all my progress will be lost to the CE-34878-0 blue screen error.  Right now I lost a lot of progress with a failure to load: continue story, auto save, last shelter visited and two previous manual saves gets me the error code.  I find the story hilarious and fun to play (when it works).  For a $60 game, seems more like a beta-run then a production release.  

I believe that the worst mistake in the game in ALL versions is localizationThe game presents lines of text in English also in other languages, very serious to be a final version.

I put myself in the shoes of those who pay more than € 50 in this game (I had it with the early access): Foreign players must be extremely frustrated with this situation, and even in the final of Arthur the subtitles are not even in English! 

The bugs of the frame optimization maybe you can solve in time, but first of all we must solve this huge problem that can lead to a bad feedback of the game.

Guest vekter303

Yep, draw distances, jittering scenery, lag, loading screens and crashes. When I saw the Kickstarter logo I feared the worst, obviously not an established studio. The bugs make the shitstorm of feedback that Battlefront prompted seem trivial. The concept is okay, not as groundbreaking as I had hoped (take one part Fable and one part Bioshock and mix that with equal measures The Prisoner and 1984, and you have the general idea) lets just get a patch or whatever. I paid full price and simply do not have a product that is worth that.

Guest Papabear

Version 1.02 update file for PS4.  Able to play for a bit a few blue screen, frequent saves was able to finish Arthur.  Loading Sally then screen goes grayish and says corrupted data, now the only option is new game Arthur start all over...  Brilliant...

Guest Chris
27 minutes ago, Guest Papabear said:

Version 1.02 update file for PS4.  Able to play for a bit a few blue screen, frequent saves was able to finish Arthur.  Loading Sally then screen goes grayish and says corrupted data, now the only option is new game Arthur start all over...  Brilliant...

Well im gonna wait I'm sad for you I lost 3 time my game so I know what it feel to lost all is progression 

Guest Papabear

Can a patch come out that unlocks all ACTS?  I'd rather not go through Arthur's entire storyline again in hopes that Sally's will load up.

3 hours ago, Guest Papabear said:

Can a patch come out that unlocks all ACTS?  I'd rather not go through Arthur's entire storyline again in hopes that Sally's will load up.

I feel that is unlikely but you never know. 

I disagree. I bought the early access in 2016, and have followed it and loved it ever since. Maybe it's becuase you are used to having games that run perfectly, but honestly a few glitches or bugs that only some have is not entirely discrediting the game. Back in the early access, this game was ever more bugged than it is now, but it was still a joy to play. I don't entirely agree with everything they have done, but I doubt they will just never patch something or change something in the future. Hell, they literally changed how the entire game was becuase of how the community felt. It was supposed to be more survival, but now it's primarily a story driven game. Surely, if a large part of the community is expressing a want to have bug fixes or patches, they will do it. I hate seeing these comments saying that it shouldn't be on shelves, or that it should have never released. 3 years of work, and all you do is complain about it? You clearly have no appreciation for games, nor do you have the simple capacity to give hope to making the game better, or appreciating that a game is good with its bugs. I am sure there is some game you love out there that has glitches and bugs, but you still play it becuase you like the elements of the game. It's playable. Enjoy it if you want. If you don't want it, don't play it. If you do want it, be patient. These game devs don't ignore the community. I have seen things over the 2 years change entirely from this forum alone. Quit whining unless you actually want to see the game succeed, and not just complain about how it's not your flawless 2000fps game, with no errors, like all the other games you play that are, which clearly don't exist. Just, stop being a downer. 

• Like 1

Cockney Charmer, considering I backed the Kickstarter in 2015, and I wouldn't have backed an XBox-exclusive title, your " this game began as an Xbox exclusive title in 2016" is untrue.

vecter303, WHF is Compulsion's second game.  Their first was Contrast.  They weren't new to developing games, but they hadn't done anything as ambitious as WHF.

I have been following the development of this game for 3 years.  From the weekly Kickstarter updates, which contained status reports from every major department, the team poured their hearts into this game.  I am disappointed that it contains so many bugs, that the game play isn't as balanced as I'd expected.  But Compulsion aren't evil, they aren't trying to make a quick buck, or do the minimum effort to satisfy investors.  I think they made a mistake releasing when they did, and I'm sure they understand and regret that it's gone so poorly.  The story is great, the voice acting is wonderful, just the quantity of voice lines is amazing.  The game has a lot going for it on that side, which makes the broken bits even more disappointing, but nobody shipped a broken game on purpose.  We all make mistakes.

I'm still thrilled to see that "and 7433 Kickstarter backers" in the credits during loading.  I believed in them, I've been with them all this time, wondering when this game initially slated for a 2016 *release* was going to finally come out... though I cut them some slack when they said feedback caused them to re-imagine the game as something deeper and more complex than they'd originally planned, and it was going to take more time.

I do really believe they're going to fix the game-breaking bugs.  It will just take some time.  They're a small studio, and *they're people* just like you and I.  Cut them some slack... the fixes will come, I'm sure of it.  If it really bothers you, set the game aside and play something else until the patches come out.