JPLeighton

[CRASH] Game crashing when loading your save file? Please read/post here!

We're currently working on v1.4 which will address performance, stability and other major gameplay issues, such as the crashes mentioned here. We're aiming to release the patch late this week or early next week, however we don't have an exact date yet.

If you're still encountering issues and require an immediate response, please file a ticket with our support team at <https://gearboxsoftware.zendesk.com/hc/en-us/requests/new> and they'll get back to you as soon as possible.

Cheers,

Lee

2 hours ago, Lee said:

We're currently working on v1.4 which will address performance, stability and other major gameplay issues, such as the crashes mentioned here. We're aiming to release the patch late this week or early next week, however we don't have an exact date yet.

If you're still encountering issues and require an immediate response, please file a ticket with our support team at <https://gearboxsoftware.zendesk.com/hc/en-us/requests/new> and they'll get back to you as soon as possible.

Cheers,

Lee

Thank you very much for the update, Lee! May I ask, more specifically, will this update definitely solve the issue where the game crashes after Act I and proceeds to delete all saved data as "corrupt"? I believe this is a PS4 issue. I just hope to know because the other little issues really don't bother me - it's just this one that makes 2/3 of the game unplayable because they can't be reached. If the update will solve the issue for sure, then I'd much rather wait for it within the next two weeks than get a refund on the game, as I thought I might. Thanks, and cheers!

The issue of corrupt save data on PS4 is being caused by the game crashing while saving. Anytime the game crashes when a save is being updated, this problem can occur.

On PS4, if the console detects that a crash occurred while the save file was being accessed then it will flag that save file as corrupt. Whether the file is truly corrupt or not doesn't matter, the console marks it as such. Unfortunately there is nothing we can do about this on our side, as that feature is controlled by Sony and we can't bypass it.

Because the game is quite large, and world generation can drastically change memory usage, users are encountering crashes from low memory on the regular base PS4 consoles. If these low memory crashes occur while the game is saving, then that save data becomes corrupted.

In Patch 1.3 we added a failsafe to prevent the game from saving while free memory is too low. This has reduced the number of cases that can occur, however it does not solve the problem fully, especially in memory intensive areas such as the Parade District where crashes are more frequent.

With Patch 1.4 (upcoming), we are addressing major gameplay issues as well as various other crashes that can occur. This should improve build stability while also reducing the number of cases where a user's data can become corrupt.

With Patch 1.5, we will be focusing on optimizing memory for the base consoles to fix the issue fully.

I hope this helps.

Cheers,

Lee

Guest lexiexana

Hi guys, experiencing similar crashing issues. Deleted the application on 3rd Sept, downloaded it again today. After manual saves 1 2 & 3 wouldn't load, I tried the auto save, which seemed as though it was about to start, then the familiar blue screen and error message once more. You need to fix whatever is causing this. I have , like many others, loved watching WHF grow for the last few years, wishing and hoping it comes to consoles. Even after seeing Jim Sterling's review I still went ahead and bought it on ps4. And it was great fun for afew hours, until it started to crash for no reason. Ahhhh, I feel somewhat disappointed and yet still hopeful. Let's hope it doesn't need a complete 'no man sky' overhaul hey or we could be waiting years rather than weeks/ months

Guest lexiexana

Hi guys, just read most recent post from Lee at Compulsion. Thank you for the update in advance. I had to have my say, I felt powerless. Having vented, I find I am still powerless, yet I have got it out of my system and can continue with my life. I look forward to playing WHF again soon. Any ideas on a date for the 'fix'?

We're aiming to release v1.4 mid next week on PC, however we don't have an exact date yet.
The PS4 and XBox One updates should be ready a few days after PC.

Guest Lexiexana
17 hours ago, Lee said:

We're aiming to release v1.4 mid next week on PC, however we don't have an exact date yet.
The PS4 and XBox One updates should be ready a few days after PC.

Thank you so much, Lee.   We ps4 gamers will have to be patient for a bit longer, no worries.

Guest Jes

Omg.. i havent been able to play the game since some days after Its release.. i’ve been waiting forever man.. my game crashes, EVERYTIME i try to load my save file. (It is not corrupted ((Sorry if i spelled i that wrong)) on my system.) Im Sorry if i Sound salty, but Its been so long that i cant remember the name of the quest, or the Island. But the island is the one where you grew up i think. You know, you kinda play the most of the story to get there, you finally get that pass, and cross the one bridge you couldn’t cross until you crossed the others. Damn.. i cant remember the name of the Island, man.. but please help, man. I really like this game, Its so “new” and original. Please read this xD 

Guest Angry

What are the refund terms for this game? Yep, I am that upset. Soooo much progress lost, I don't want to go through this heartbreak again. 

11 hours ago, Guest Angry said:

What are the refund terms for this game? Yep, I am that upset. Soooo much progress lost, I don't want to go through this heartbreak again. 

Refunds are based on the retailer you bought the game from (Steam, GOG, a physical retail store, etc.). You would need to speak with them if that's something you wish to pursue.

If you're still experiencing issues, please file a ticket with our support team at < https://gearboxsoftware.zendesk.com/hc/en-us/requests/new > and they'll get back to you as soon as possible.

Cheers,

Lee

Even after the 1.4 update, crashing issues have - if anything - gotten worse (PC). Cannot start new game. Sometimes manage to get thru entire prequel "cut scene" of Arthur in office, to various "generation" messages about setting up world only to have crash happen at that point.

Tried making a screenshot of another issue where WHF *is* running as it can be seen in the Task Manager and music is playing, but no icon showing on Taskbar nor a "window" open to Tab to thru Win 10 interface....

On 9/27/2018 at 10:38 PM, Nimshabane said:

Even after the 1.4 update, crashing issues have - if anything - gotten worse (PC). Cannot start new game. Sometimes manage to get thru entire prequel "cut scene" of Arthur in office, to various "generation" messages about setting up world only to have crash happen at that point.

Tried making a screenshot of another issue where WHF *is* running as it can be seen in the Task Manager and music is playing, but no icon showing on Taskbar nor a "window" open to Tab to thru Win 10 interface....

Hi there,

We're sorry to hear you're experiencing this issue.

First, we suggest updating your graphics card drivers. We recommend manually uninstalling your drivers and reinstalling them from scratch as sometimes drivers do not install properly over existing installations. The most recent drivers can be found here:

Nvidia
http://www.nvidia.com/Download/index.aspx

AMD
http://support.amd.com/en-us/download

Verify Integrity of Game Cache (Steam):
The Steam download may not have completed successfully which can cause the game not to launch or crash.

How to Verify Integrity of Game Cache:
1. Open steam
2. Navigate to Library
3. Right-click on We Happy few
4. Select ‘Properties’
5. Select ‘Local files’
6. Select ‘Verify integrity of game cache…’
7. Steam will verify the game's files - this process may take several minutes.

If you're still encountering issues, please email us at support@compulsiongames.com after performing the following:

1 - Rick-click We Happy Few in your Steam library
2 - Goto: Properties > Local Files > Browse Local Files
3 - Browse to: \Engine\Binaries\Win64
4 - Look for the file: CrashReportClient.exe
5 - Rename it (e.g: CrashReportClient BACKUP.exe)
6 - Start the game and trigger the crash
7 - Once the game has crashed at least once, press: Windows + R
8 - Paste: \Users\%USERNAME%\Documents\My Games
9 - Press enter
10 - Select 'We Happy Few'
11 - Right Click on 'We Happy Few' and select 'Send to' > 'Compressed (Zipped) folder'
12 - Attach We Happy Few.zip to email

This will disable the automatic crash reporter and allow crash dumps to be generated directly on your PC. With this we'll be able to identify the specific crash you're experiencing.

If possible, sending us your PC Specifications would also be helpful:
1 - Press Windows + R
2 - Paste: dxdiag
3 - Press enter
4 - Select ‘Save All Information…’
5 - Attach dxdiag.txt to email

If you want to re-enable automatic crash reports in the future, simply change the file back to it's original name (CrashReportClient.exe).

Cheers,

Lee

1. PS4 Pro
  2. Version #1.572408
  3. Quest: Mastermind

One ps4 account profile loads fine but any manual or  auto-save crashes the game. On the other ps4 account profile the game crashes as soon as the load finishes as Arthur starts to stand up.

Everything was working fine on v1.4 but we haven't been able to play after installing v1.5.

1 hour ago, D4rkFr4g said:
  1. PS4 Pro
  2. Version #1.572408

One ps4 account profile loads fine but any manual or  auto-save crashes the game. On the other ps4 account profile the game crashes as soon as the load finishes as Arthur starts to stand up.

Everything was working fine on v1.4 but we haven't been able to play after installing v1.5.

I also tried starting a new game to see if I'd have the same issue. Right after the intro in the tunnel I'm guessing it auto-saves and because it crashes in that same spot every time. I also tried deleting the game and re-installing and I also deleted all my game saves and tried starting a new game but the game is unplayable in its current state.

Is there a way to roll back the update?

Hello,

I updated to version 1.04 on the PS4 (a PS4 system update also downloaded) and since that any loaded game crashes within a minute and when I try to start a new game it crashes as soon as the bobbies chase you out of the Parade.

I just purchased this game this morning and I am having the same issue as Jewelz on PS4 pro software version 6.02

game build v1.5.72408

Update 1.04

I have tried uninstalling and reinstalling, booting the game with and without boost mode enabled as well as skipping through cutscenes and collectibles in the intro sequence. No matter what it crashes upon loading after the piñata party and chase cutscenes. This is beyond disappointing from a title that of which I had high hopes.

Edited by Bassman333
Added a name from another post

20 hours ago, D4rkFr4g said:
  1. PS4 Pro
  2. Version #1.572408

18 hours ago, D4rkFr4g said:

I also tried starting a new game to see if I'd have the same issue. Right after the intro in the tunnel I'm guessing it auto-saves and because it crashes in that same spot every time. I also tried deleting the game and re-installing and I also deleted all my game saves and tried starting a new game but the game is unplayable in its current state.

Is there a way to roll back the update?

18 hours ago, Jewelz said:

Hello,

I updated to version 1.04 on the PS4 (a PS4 system update also downloaded) and since that any loaded game crashes within a minute and when I try to start a new game it crashes as soon as the bobbies chase you out of the Parade.

17 hours ago, Bassman333 said:

I just purchased this game this morning and I am having the same issue as Jewelz on PS4 pro software version 6.02

game build v1.5.72408

Update 1.04

I have tried uninstalling and reinstalling, booting the game with and without boost mode enabled as well as skipping through cutscenes and collectibles in the intro sequence. No matter what it crashes upon loading after the piñata party and chase cutscenes. This is beyond disappointing from a title that of which I had high hopes.

Hi everyone,

I am really sorry to hear that you guys are encountering this issue. We are currently working on a fix for this issue, but in the meantime we do have a workaround to help avoid these crashes.

On the PS4 home screen, select Settings > Sound and screen > Video Output Settings > HDR > select Off

- Stephanie

On 10/22/2018 at 10:30 AM, Jewelz said:

Hello,

Downloaded version 1.5 and it is now working, no crashing and loads first time, played for a few hours with no issues, thanks for fixing this so quickly.

• Thanks 1

Xbox one version 1.5.72492

So about 2/3 of the way through Arthur's play through, the game began occasionally crashing causing the console to turn off, and when I restarted it and loaded the save file it worked fine again. But during Sally's playthrough after entering Nick Lightbearer's house the game crashed again and now no matter which save file I select (any manual save or the auto save) the game loads to a completely blank screen except updates telling me I'm well rested etc. appearing briefly in the corner. There are background noises coming from the environment but I can't see or do anything, and none of the buttons that I press do anything so I end up having to quit the game via the xbox menu. 

To be honest, I'm quite disappointed since the game wasn't cheap and I'd been awaiting it's release for a long time, so I don't particularly want to have to restart the game.

On 1/2/2019 at 10:13 AM, Rosalind119 said:

Xbox one version 1.5.72492

So about 2/3 of the way through Arthur's play through, the game began occasionally crashing causing the console to turn off, and when I restarted it and loaded the save file it worked fine again. But during Sally's playthrough after entering Nick Lightbearer's house the game crashed again and now no matter which save file I select (any manual save or the auto save) the game loads to a completely blank screen except updates telling me I'm well rested etc. appearing briefly in the corner. There are background noises coming from the environment but I can't see or do anything, and none of the buttons that I press do anything so I end up having to quit the game via the xbox menu. 

To be honest, I'm quite disappointed since the game wasn't cheap and I'd been awaiting it's release for a long time, so I don't particularly want to have to restart the game.

Hi there,

We're sorry to hear you're experiencing this issue and we apologize for the late reply.

Are you still experiencing this issue?

If so, I would suggest trying the following:

1 - From the main menu, load a save game named 'Last Shelter Visited' (this is the save from the last time you entered a safehouse and you will lose some progress, but not all)

2 - Progress in the game and see if the crash or black screen issue still occurs

The issue of loading into a black screen is a problem that can occur in some rare cases, especially if the game crashed previously. We don't have an exact date yet, but we will be releasing a patch on Xbox One (v1.6) in the coming weeks which will address stability and many other issues.

If you need more immediate support our customer service team can be contacted at < https://gearboxsoftware.zendesk.com/hc/en-us/requests/new > .

Cheers,

Lee