Sign in to follow this  
Downer

We Happy Few kickstarter ideas

Just note, that physical production is always costly, so I tend to be reserved about asking for physical rewards. Digital artbook is also fine.

@shmerl

Perhaps the option for both? As costly as it is, it then gives the option for those who want to go all out to get the physical copy versus the digital?

I've found a lot of kickstarters that do that and work it really well.

Yes, the art book is something I would for sure donate to. I'm ok with it being a little costly for a physical version. Something I can feel, and admire anywhere I am is priceless. Plus i'm just all around an art freak.

- As @godframedme i would love some t-shirts, with the whf logo or with the Bobby.

- then of course, digital and physical copies of the game

- a beta access to the game

- the white mask would be also nice

- propaganda posters! as highres pdf or print

- the ost main theme on vinyl single

I had one idea where you could have an ability similar to "Patsy" from [Prototype].

For those of you who are unaware, the ability to Patsy someone means that you can point them out as being suspicious, to lift the suspicion off of yourself and shift it to someone else.

Of course, in this game, being called a 'Downer' is pretty much a death sentence, so why not call someone else a 'Downer' to momentarily create a distraction. Of course, if your Patsy attempt fails, then everyone might just turn on you...

Of course, it is based on chance, the success of the Patsy depends upon several different things:

- How suspicious you already are. If people find you reasonably untrustworthy, then they may not be fooled by your Patsy attempt. Example, you are already being mowed down by the mob.

- How agitated they are. If people are already looking at you strangely, it might help to quickly shift the blame. Of course, randomly choosing a patsy in public with no reasonable excuse might have the opposite effect than intended.

- How quick your Patsy reacts. Your targeted Patsy may just outright deny it (which may or may not convince the bystanders), but they can have other reactions, like running away in fear or quickly attack yourself or other bystanders in pre-emptive self-defence. They could just brush it off, returning the blame to you.

- How suspicious the Patsy is. If your targeted Patsy has committed some sort of faux pas, like stepping out of line or said an odd phrase, then people will be quick to take your side over theirs when they are targeted.

On success, you are no longer deemed suspicious while the mob finishes off the 'Downer', which could also create a lovely distraction if you needed, say, to break into a nearby house without anyone noticing.

I think game mechanics should not be part of reward tiers. It won't be fair for other players as well as will complicate development.

Although it might complicate things, it is a neat idea though. Perhaps just an ability that makes it easier on the player in certain situations, but still takes nothing away from the game; perhaps something limited per runthrough?

I wouldn't suggest it as a reward tier though; maybe a special edition version. Bioshock did that pretty well with some extra plasmids if I remember correctly.

@shmerl I tend to agree, mechanics suggestions make a bit more sense as stretch goals, rather than reward tiers.

Some great ideas in here everyone! Keep 'em coming. We have had a bunch of them internally, so once it looks like we've got an interesting collection, we'll ask for some feedback on them. We can always look at new ideas that come up over time, too.

If you'd like a prompt for ideas, one question I have is: what could we do, inside the game, that is reasonably simple for us to do but could offer something genuinely cool for you guys. Eg, the graveyards in Pillars of Eternity was a neat way of getting unique, interesting content (here lies Sir Fluffy Marshmallow, the softest knight of the realm), but I'm not sure that would work for our game.

What about naming one of the storefronts? Since the game will be procedurally generated, there should be lots of opportunity to rotate through names. Or using a backer's likeness in one of the ads around town?

@Alianin I like that one, I think it is in our list of ideas, it is simple yet super cool

if you do that- especially likeness- you may as well just take my bank card and my pin number. can you say narcissism?

I suppose with randomly generated paths (or at least I assume with the randomly generated world) it could be do-able? I mean imagine on the rare occasion you see a sign or something related to your name, it'd be so cool. *u*

I have to suggest street-names too; believe me we have some of the weirdest damn names over here, and depending on what sort of street-sign style you're going for, they always look super cool too.

@Otherbuttons, @Sam: Sure, the idea is interesting. And it indeed makes sense as part of the base or stretch goals. I was just saying that enabling it for some players and not for others would be awkward.

@sam

What if there was a Pub that could appear, and a sandwichboard outside that had randomly-generated lunch or drink specials?

The kind with cutesy names like "Paul's Cod Platter" or "Crazy Aunt Sally."

Give people the opportunity to name the specials?

Perhaps you could do something like " Wellington Wells Welcoming Wall" Where those who donated a certain amount could have a name they sent in on a wall somewhere, maybe in a museum or in a park.

@shmerl I get what you mean, I wouldn't like it either.

@Pullahoko @Downer I am a big fan that one and having the community leave their mark on the game

Hello,

Physical rewards are always gravy, but I think their scalability/production cost is an issue and as such shouldn't feature too strongly in the KS campaign.

That being said, something small like a Joy shotglass/logo or decal would be great. Artbook and Soundtrack are hopefully uncontroversial offerings, too. (I second the wish for FLAC audio. I can't remember if Steam distribution would get the in way of it). Basically, I would prefer more behind-the-scenes type physical goods (book, CD) than branded t-shrts, figurines, etc.

Personally, as a backer I'd relish the chance to contribute in some small way to the lore or flavor of the world in-game, even if it's something as small as a name (street, character, storefront, shrub). Or, along the lines of Brave New World, a jingle or truism (A gramme is better than a damn). I guess that's hypnopaedia, technically...

Con: Offering slight backer collaboration windows is always a strange beast and usually results in things that very tucked-away so as to not tamper with immersion (tombstones in PoE, for example).

In general, I'd actually appreciate a relatively low-frills KS with a modest flat buy-in tier, a slightly immodest alpha/beta buy-in, and absolutely indecorous price points for heavy player collaboration/input/physical rewards.

If things overshoot enough I suppose you could have physical goods as stretch goals. I'd rather have you guys pick whatever you are most excited about & feel is the most scalable, though.

Nice to meet everyone.

One idea I had was some Special content exclusive to Kickstart donors.

You know, Stuff really related to the Era. Like different outfits and weapons if that's possible.

Like a Austin Powers inspired outfit called "The Groovy Spy" that grants a slight stamina and stealth bonus.

Or a Beatles inspired Guitar weapon called "Moptop" that makes a twang every time you strike someone with it with a slight chance of stunning someone.

Or a Hippie outfit called "Peace and love" that does lower the effects of crashing but makes you seem a bit more conspicuous.

And finally for the digital goods a Tiki Idol weapon called "The big kahuna" that does a fair bit of extra damage

As for tangible goods if you're publishing a CD of the game's soundtrack, There's Vinyl topped CDs, Memorex makes them I think so you may want to talk to those guys.

Another thing is slogan buttons, Given they were another fad of the time.

If you want to go mid tier A tie Dye Tee with the game logo on it.

That's all the ideas I have for now. I hope you guys take them into consideration.

I'm kind of turned-off by anything that offers in-game upgrades that can only be gotten by backing, especially if their equivalents can't be found in the game normally, and ESPECIALLY especially if there's any multi-player components.

@Pullahoko: Yeah, I think this was already discussed above. This can be handled differently, like for example backers getting them more easily than the rest. But as long as it's not cut off from any player completely, it should be OK.

@MISFIT we have a similar idea... you'll see :)

And, also, great points everyone on the "in-game advantage" idea. We'd rather people get the chance to contribute creatively, than get some sort of easy mode, so we're not going down that route.

A trip to merry old England for a real life day of joyful carnage and poppycock ;) or maybe a poster print? Maybe have a high-tier backer help design some art for a character or location in the map?

For those of you who didn't see it, the kickstarter goes live on June 4!!! Thank you so much to everyone who expressed their ideas here, and i hope to see you all supporting the kickstarter that we helped make :)

As always, don't be a downer!

Are we going to get any sneaky perk previews?~ Or is it all going to be a jolly surprise that my wallet hates you for?

I've legitimately started doing cheap commissions so I can fund this thing. this is what you've drawn me to. ;u;