Sign in to follow this  
Downer

We Happy Few kickstarter ideas

Leave your ideas as to what Compulsion Games should do for the kickstarter below! And remember don't be a downer!

We're listening :) Quite seriously, if you guys have ideas, we'd love to hear them.

Just a few ideas for rewards:

- digital/physical copies of the OST

- Posters (Wellites, Wellington, Uncle Jack)

- Original artwork used in production, signed by the artist

- Designer "Joy" bottles used for keeping kitchen spices or candy.

- Dear Uncle Jack : Backers name will be put in the game as the author of a letter sent to and read aloud by Uncle Jack during an advice-column style radio show.

- Jack Will Fix It : Backers will get to write and send letters to Uncle Jack regarding a problem they have in Wellington Welles, and Uncle Jack will Fix It.

- Uncle Jack's Gallery : Backers will be able to send artwork and poetry to Uncle Jack for showcase and critique on his sophisticated art program.

- Uncle Jack and the Jack-o-lytes : Backers will be sworn in as honorary Jack-o-lytes on Uncle Jack's hit children's edutainment hour designed to teach basic manners, hygiene, and the importance of Joy consumption. A puppet, "Downer," will be engineered in your likeness and filmed for a series of educational shorts in the style of Goofus and Gallant, titled "Dandy and Downer."

- Work with Compulsion to create a unique Wellite or Wellette.

Please include FLAC version of the OST in the release :) I like when they are released in lossless to allow transcoding for those who want it without losing quality.

It's hard to come up with good rewards ideas, but I can express some general crowdfunding points from experience with previous campaigns.

1. Don't set the core reward tier (digital release of the game) too high. For example Underworld Ascendant set it to $20 (with limited amount) and most people ended up paying $25 for that tier. I think it actually reduced the number of backers. For example Wasteland 2 had it at $15. In the past some highly successful titles had it higher (Torment: Tides of Numenera - $20-$25, Pillars of Eternity - $20-$25), but recently crowdfunding scene got a bit harder (at least so I've heard, I'm not really an expert on this). After some major failures, backers are more cautious about paying a lot.

2. If you plan to develop for Linux and OS X - don't set them as stretch goals. Linux and OS X users are more likely to contribute if they know that you are going to develop the game for their platforms. Setting them as stretch goals would leave them in doubt (i.e. if the goal won't be reached, their investment in the project won't yield anything useful for them). Underworld Ascendant project came to realize that, and included Linux and OS X in the base goal.

I hope your crowdfunding will succeed!

I would absolutely back if OS was an option and not just a stretch goal. Then again, I'd also back if WHF was released for PS3/PS4. I like the idea of creating a few Joy bottle replicas as a reward. Perhaps a concept art poster signed by the entire development team/artists would be a good reward too. As a high level reward, I think it would be cool to allow backers to have a small figurine/model made of them in We Happy Few art style. I wouldn't allow more than 5-10 backers for that tier though, could create a lot of work for the artists involved if a lot of people would invest in that reward, maybe it would be better to allow backers to send a picture of themselves and have the artists recreate it in the WHF art style instead? Besides that, I think it would be AWESOME if you had a reward package that included a physical copy of the game with a large map of Wellington Wells included as well. Game art is always a popular reward option for video game kickstarter campaigns.

@erbeardeclares Those are some good ideas, we have been discussing signed concept art posters as a reward, I can't confirming anything since we are still discussing it but it just makes sense, especially since our games are highly stylized :)

As for the small figurine, I love the idea, I am a sucker for figurines. But indeed we would have to look into how much work it is such as: Is the quality good enough? How and where do we manufacture them? Is the cost worth it for our backers?

Personally, I picture something like this, it looks amazing but we need to check if it's a good deal for everybody.

niqNj5a.jpg

Love the idea of a picture of a backer drawn WHF style, I will add it to the list :)

A map of Wellington Wells would be tricky since the city is procedurally generated in each playthrough :P

What better for a cerebral game than to possibly have the backer contribute/ spectate some problem solving talks. As you know individuals love to have a head up on news, but more importantly can witness one of the rarest phenomenon in gaming; it's evolution into art.

here some ideas I had, some already mentioned but tweaked a bit:

- posters are great, BUT hand numbered/signed screen prints are better, and for the money seem more worth it to me

- if you do make a physical soundtrack, CD's are cheaper and have a faster turn around, HOWEVER vinyl is great, but expect higher prices on manufacturing and an even higher turn around rate.

- the JOY bottles are simply a great idea, maybe a set shot glasses?? something to really show off the JOY in the world

- if you go the figure route, it could be amazing, figures would be pretty fantasitc

- are there any characters that have jobs that require button up work shirts? maybe something from one of the in game businesses along those lines.

- cricket bat with engravings/symbols/mottos from the game. signed/hand numbered

- set of post cards from wellington - between 10-18. can double as small art prints

- art book w/ all basic instructions from the game (how to spot a downer, hygiene, etc etc etc) in an older 50's looking font set in a leather book w/ embossing in the cover. all hand numbered and signed by team members, artists or something along those lines

- some of the masks/facial coverings w/ screen print

- shirts w/ characters/mottos from the game. short or long sleeve, maybe even hoodies.

if there is a possibility of this coming to console, give them the option to get the game w/ all DLC coming to it for free, console games get hit the worst for DLC for various reasons (retail stores, trade ins, lack of continued interest due to "the new big thing out now" syndrome I see). that kind of donation would also increase visibility for the game, independent games are growing and this could be something huge for the movement.

I think any kind of physical merchandise would make for a great reward. I personally love things like artbooks, prints and anything concept art related. Figurines would be great too. Masks would make for a very unique and I think popular piece.

I think it would be cool to be interviewed or call in to talk to Jack. For top donors most likely.

Some other ideas

- Uncle Jack's Guide to Dealing with Downers

- @DenDen's idea of masks is also excellent

- Some timed skype/whatever discussion with the devs about the game mechanics/issues/innovation whatever might be interesting for people (like me)

- To build on the idea of a cricket bat with engravings, physical one and code for a marked on in game as starting weapon... with serial code even?

- love postcards/art prints ideas also (signed by Uncle Jack?) prints signed by artist/whole team

- audio file with a narrative from Uncle Jack (or even just the stuff he says in game)

- if there is some kind of underground community that has a marking, that would be cool to get one (like a pin or something)

- i love polos with video game content on them so I can wear them to work, WHF polo (and other apparel)

- bundle with Contrast

these folks above me are far more creative, nice job up there!

also just quickly googling about the figurines, found this 3-dtechnicalservices.com/model-making.html Still not sure how feasible this stuff is, but if its plastic injection molding there has to be some way to do it reasonably. Otherwise kickstarters for miniature stuff would never get off the ground. Not sure how painting works though

If you have any type of art that is limited or signed, I will donate into that instantly. I'm a complete nut for collectors items, especially in the games I love.

The OS selection is a tricky one. If the commitment is there to do a Linux/OSX version up front then that will definitely encourage those users to participate, but you're basically just committing to do it. It's much the same as simply saying 'we're making this for Linux/OSX no matter what and we hope that we'll sell enough units to recoup that effort'. Alternatively, making it a stretch goal is a good way of 'budgeting' for the extra dev/test/support costs associated with it. I guess a mid-way point behind that could be to commit to doing Linux/OSX versions at some point in the future, but the stretch goal reward is to have Linux/OSX compatibility at release?

One thing that springs to mind is that the Humble Bundles do very well because they provide visibility to Linux/OSX users who are backing the project. This is a pretty good way to encourage support from a community that is often somewhat evangelical, anyway. Especially when you add in the 'feel-good factor' aspect of being able to show that the users on average contribute more than Windows users, when given the option.

I'm not entirely sure how that could be shoehorned into the Kickstarter type model, though. Specific alternatives to the main tier items that are called out as 'Linux user' versions would give an option for people to say whether they would play it on Windows, Linux or OSX for instance. Perhaps that could be folded into the stretch goal idea above, something like 'if >1000 people back the Linux or OSX tier, we'll have it on release'. I'm kind of assuming that they're same price/same reward, just named differently to allow people to put their flag in the ground, so to speak.

The figurines idea sat in the back of my head and rolled around a bit. I've always thought the idea of being able to pull models out of games and 3D print them is kinda cool. Using something like Shapeways could be an option to do something that doesn't have the intense one-off cost of an injection mold. That would give a lot more options for people to choose different figures posed in different ways, etc. Combinational scenes and so on at different tiers would then also be possible without too much up-front effort.

One thing that really tickles me is the option to take the rigged 3D model and pose it yourself. I imagine that might be beyond some people and may have the added downside of possibly not being printable or able to stand at the end of it, but it still strikes me as something that would be really awesome. Perhaps some of that could be mitigated with a simple centre-of-mass calculation?

I'd probably take a menacing Bobby. That'd be sweet.

-signed/unsigend artbooks

-High quality prints-lithographs

- replica of some objects/items in the games(badges,bottles,masks,propaganda items etc)

-figurines-maybe this would work only as a very limited piece

-a collectors editions that includes more of these items in the same package(with the option to pay extra for more items that you want).

-physical copy of the game

-propaganda posters

I love the idea of posters and cards. It'd also be great if the range of artwork covered Contrast as well.

I've got over 200 games on Steam, and Contrast is the only one I've bothered to collect all the cards for.

@Muncha:

Alternatively, making it a stretch goal is a good way of 'budgeting' for the extra dev/test/support costs associated with it. I guess a mid-way point behind that could be to commit to doing Linux/OSX versions at some point in the future, but the stretch goal reward is to have Linux/OSX compatibility at release?

The common sentiment amongst Linux users is to show extra support to developers who don't treat us as second class citizens. Many were not happy with OtherSide setting Linux as a stretch goal for Underwolrd Ascendant. They later switched it to your another idea - Linux was included in the base goal, but delayed release. It's not perfect but better, since at least they are committed to release it even if later. Making day one release a stretch goal sounds acceptable too to me.

Also, OtherSide made some surveys for what version potential backers might prefer, and they got quite a number of Linux users providing feedback, so they eventually decided to include it. Compulsion can make such survey too. Something like what is your operating system of preference for playing games? And etc.

@schmerl:

I think the second class citizen thing is fair enough, but I still don't really know any Linux users who eschew having a Windows install around somewhere for one reason or other. Personally I've been running some flavor of Linux as my main OS for a bit over 10 years now but I've never been without either a dual-boot install or an entirely separate PC for gaming or other specific Windows-only software. That hasn't stopped anyone (myself included) from backing things that don't have Linux support, but I see where you're coming from in that there have definitely been things that I've bought/backed simply because of the possibility of a Linux version.

So for all that I agree from an idealogical perspective, I think that sometimes you've just gotta make the numbers add up and the danger with promising to support Linux out of the box is that it's a little bit of a gamble. I don't know enough about the actual hard data behind it all to really assert it either way, but I think the key thing from looking at the success of the Humble Bundles is to have some form of avenue for alternative OS users to feel like they're supporting their cause, preferably in a visible manner.

Thinking about it, even allocating some specific test/dev/support time towards running under wine is a good step! I can't remember what game it was, but one of the ones that I was playing started out with a native version and then dropped back to specifically supporting being able to run under wine. I think that might have been EVE?

@Muncha:

I still don't really know any Linux users who eschew having a Windows install around somewhere for one reason or other. Personally I've been running some flavor of Linux as my main OS for a bit over 10 years now but I've never been without either a dual-boot install or an entirely separate PC for gaming or other specific Windows-only software.

I don't use Windows for quite a while already, including for work as well as home use and gaming. And recent gaming renaissance on Linux especially increased the number of people who stopped dual-booting. I've heard more than once from different people that games were the only thing that made them keep Windows around, and now with Wine improving and a lot of games coming out natively, they ditched Windows for good.

That hasn't stopped anyone (myself included) from backing things that don't have Linux support

Personally, I back only projects that include Linux support, as a way to encourage it. There are enough Windows users who can back other projects if they are interested. Recent couple of years were close to incredible though, with major digital distributors starting selling Linux games, more and more engines adding support, studios starting releasing Linux games and things like Vulkan API coming out. So the situation is way better than it used to be a while ago.

@shmerl:

Fair enough. That's awesome that you've found yourself able to be in that position. For me it would still be impossible for work, as well as undesirable for a lot of personal passtime considerations.

To avoid this going completely off the rails, I think we can agree that Linux support would certainly be something valuable to feature in a potential Kickstarter campaign. I'd be extremely interested to hear any comments about this from a dev/marketing perspective. I'm sure it's evident that alt OS users tend to be a minority, but a vocal one!

I don't have much input on the way of exact rewards, though I'm always a sucker for goodies like soundtracks, art and physical items (especially figures!), but I do have a request on how the backer rewards are done. There have been so many Kickstarters I'd love to have thrown more money at had they had worthwhile rewards, or any rewards for that matter, a few steps higher than what I was at. For example, a recent game I backed, I pledged at $25 because there was worthwhile between that and $100. I would have gladly gone to $50 or $60 just for some cool cosmetic or non-tangible additions. My other suggestion is to allow for add-ons. Say you want that art book, but don't want to pledge the $150 tier for it, allow it as an add-on.

I'm a huge fan of 60s culture, decor, and music, so a soundtrack for backers would be fantastic. Vinyl would also be amazing.

Not to be too demanding, but will the kickstarter offer only the PC version for backers or will console versions be offered as well? I'm primarily a console player and I see many kickstarters that only offer PC versions of their game to backers even though they confirmed they'd be bringing their game to consoles.

An Artbook.

As an illustrator with hopes of becoming a concept artist/character designer, I could legitimately (well, virtually) beg for this and I know other people could too. We Happy Few has such an interesting style to it (that colourful street design oh gosh ♥) that it would be such a shame for the art of it to not be put into a physical reference.

Another thing that's always amazing is in-game items, such as posters, vinyls, weapons etc. I'd love to see something to do with Uncle Jack.

And on the vinyl thing, I've noticed they've become a very popular form of promo/merch for games/film lately (I recently purchased the Octodad 7", and then there's the gorgeous Hotline Miami vinyls, and the Bioshock 2 vinyls from a bit further back...)

Figures are always a way to go too (especially of the player character if he remains anything like the concept one ;D).

I have to agree on watching the prices too; not all of us have money (but I'd happily give it all to this game if I had it to spare).