Sign in to follow this  
JohnHankies

We Happy Few ESRB Rating?

I was just curious, what is We Happy Few going to be rated? Is it going to be rated M? All that would do is limit your purchasing audience. You will not lose ANY sales by making the game T, but if the game is rated M... I guarantee you will lose sales. Look at these amazing games:

-Five Nights at Freddy's series

-Slender: The Arrival

-Dead Realm

-Dear Esther

-Emily Wants to Play

-KHOLAT

-Kraven Manor

-Sir, You Are Being Hunted

-Statues

-Knock-Knock

-Slender: The Eight Pages

-Among The Sleep

-Among The Sleep: Prologue

What do all of these games have in common? All of them are very clean (content-wise). What else do they have in common? They are all VERY highly praised horror games by the big-shots (Markiplier, PewDiePie, jacksepticeye, etc.) and the community. So the question come down to this: Why would you fill your game with content that will ONLY limit your audience? All those games were clean and they have been VERY successful. The big-shots and people that don't mind bad content will still like a clean game.

For example, the new game Firewatch that just came out ended up having loads of language and nudity (Rated M) and many people I know didn't buy it (and they would have played it otherwise... including myself). It does not add any quality to the game; it detracts quality. Please make sure that you are willing to lose sales before you add all this terrible content to your game.

I would love to hear your thoughts. Anyone with me?

Thanks!

Hey, Thanks for the feedback!

Here's the response we've given previously.

The game will feature bad language, violence (although blood is currently toggleable), sexual references and (obviously) drug use. It may reach M, or a higher tier, but it's too early to tell.

Reading your concerns, I suspect this may not be for you. It's an adult game dealing with a range of difficult subject matters, including some that are provocative. I wouldn't recommend it for a PG audience, so if that is the rating you prefer to watch, I'd skip it this time. Of course, you're also welcome to wait until the full game is released and then ask friends/read reviews etc.

Righto.

True shame. I talked with Sam about this. I really love your company and I was hoping for better.

Sadly, you're gonna lose sales because of this... starting with me.

Still all the best!

They're going into adult themes as mentioned, themes that happen in real life. You know what also happens in real life? People bleed.

I personally feel- and this is all my own personal views- that if I were to try and get immersed into a world that deals with such themes, and I was to bash someone's head in and for it to not do what it's meant to- bleed- it would break that. It would take away from the game, and to me (and I know other folk too) immersion is very important.

You know what else has been a hit with blood in?

the Halo series

Call of Duty

the Bioshock series

Resident Evil series

Mortal Kombat series

Tomb Raider series

Most recent Telltale games

the Grand Theft Auto series

the Witcher 3 (which is currently one of the most awarded games of all time)

You've probably heard of most if not all of these games, because they're extremely successful, and you know what they have? Blood, violence, and many, many adult themes. I've heard of five on your list, because they were cult classics that- in my opinion- attracted far too many underage players that actually game some of the fandoms/games a bad reputation (the FNaF and Slender fandoms being the ones notorious here). Less people may buy it, sure, but quality over quantity and ratings are there to keep the right age audience viewing it.

So basically, please cite your claim of 'More people will buy this', because I'm pretty sure if you put the sales of your list against mine, mine would win.

Anyone with me?

(Also tons of people brought Firewatch and the only complaints I've read is it was too short, but past that it was an absolutely glorious game.)

So just because the game has "many, many adult themes" means its better? Why make a genre that restricts players?

You're argument is desensitized.

Also, blood is not just what I'm talking about. You honestly think that F-Bombs fit in a 1940's era game? You honestly think "provocative situations" fit in a stylistic survival horror? It just doesn't fit.

Go ahead. Be desensitized. I'd rather involve more people in their "fun and innovative" organization (check out their "about us" section of their website.)

Hey man... Take it as you will. I just hate to see Compulsion go all... generic.

No, I'm not saying many, many adult themes make it better, I'm saying it doesn't take away from it either. You seem convinced it does.

... Mate, have you been to England? We swore then and we swear now. A lot. Swearing happens everywhere. Swearing's been around for centuries, it's just thanks to society and up-turned ways that it's seen as a bad thing. In fact here's how I feel about it, as explained by Britain's National Treasure:

We Happy Few is actually set in the 1960s, not 40s, but here's an excerpt from a site that lists some examples of 'ON Air' swearing. I've listed since the beginning of the 1900s to just after the decade set for this example:

Shot by an anarchist while standing on a Brussels railway station, The Prince of Wales utters the immortal words, “Fuck it, I’ve taken a bullet."

Music hall comedian Hector Thaxter becomes the first man to say “Arse” on the radio.

After cutting food rations as part of a new economic drive, Chancellor Hugh Dalton is accosted by a beggar in the street who says, “You bloody bastard! What am I meant to do, eat shit?”

Interviewed live on BBC News, a British teddy boy is asked his opinion of Bill Haley. He replies, “Haley? I wouldn't piss on him if he went up in flames. I’m an Elvis man meself.”

Appearing on a late night live satire programme called BBC3, Kenneth Tynan becomes the first man to say “Fuck” on TV. A national fit of apoplexy follows with one Tory MP suggesting that Tynan should hang!

After watching an episode of "Till Death Us Do Part" that includes 44 uses of the word “BLOODY”, Mary Whitehouse fumes, “This is the end of civilisation as we know it”

Buzz Aldrin becomes the first man to swear on the moon “Bloody hell,” he tells Neil Armstrong, “I’ve just taken a shit in my space suit”

Oxford English Dictionary includes the words “FUCK” and “CUNT” for the first time. The National Campaign for Real Swearing issues a statement which reads: “We’d be a bunch of lying cunts if we didn’t say that we were totally fucking delighted”

Being desensitized leads to less prudish views on the world, in my opinion. I have in fact read the 'About Us' section, in fact I've read the entire website and followed them quite closely for months, and you know what I've found? They're fun and innovative. I've played the game, in fact I've voiced lines for the game and yes there's swearing and violence, but there's also reason behind it, emotion, purpose. Swearing isn't hollow, blood isn't illogical.

Genericness isn't caused by a simple addition of mature rated themes, genericness is something that is the same as everything else. But single things like mature content don't make it generic- I mean, are we all generic because we've all got skin and blood? No. And this game isn't generic just because it works with real content.

I think the fact that Bioshock Infinite and Fallout 4 are both rated M for mature and both did extremely well and are extremely popular negate the idea that M ratings decrease a game's popularity. There are plenty more, like Otherbuttons has said, but these two games are the ones I love the most so I listed them by name :D

But anyway, it sounds like these are just your personal preferences, not what is and isn't successful in the market.

@Naila: "It may reach M, or a higher tier, but it's too early to tell." You're right in that it's too early to tell, but I doubt the game would be rated higher than M, since (from what I understand) it's rather tonally similar to Bioshock, which is "merely" M-Rated (albeit a solid M). I can definitely see WHF getting an M-rating, though.

Yeah. I read somewhere that Uncle Jack says some "terrible things."

Still seems shoe-horned in, but whatever.

Just wish this game was for a wider audience.

Hello Otherbuttons,

Reading through your list of games, I noticed a common trend... and that's they are all triple A titles (except for telltale, more on that later). None of these games had to have a Kickstarter, none of them (other than telltale) needed it. I would also like to add that none of these games were successful because of their adult themes but because they're amazing games. Witcher 3, for example, considered to be the best game of 2015 didn't receive high praise because of its adult themes, rather it was praised for expansive world and fun game play. I also know people who will not be playing it (including myself) because of its adult themes. Referring to Tell Tale, I and others won't play them because of the adult themes in the game. Now I will agree that some themes do belong in some games (such as blood, violence, and drugs.) This will make the audience need to be more mature but at more of a T/PG-13 level not of an R/M rating. The game can and will survive without swearing, most people (and I would argue more) would still play it even if there were no F-Bombs in the game. I will now ask you... Would you still play We Happy Few if it were T? Would you still play it if it had NO F-Bombs?

Now I would like to add a list of my own of top selling games that aren't M:

Tetris - 425 million

Wii Sports - 82.72 million

Minecraft - 72 million

Destiny

Star Wars Battlefront

Super Mario Bros - 40.24 million

Mario Kart

Legend of Zelda

Pokemon

Kinect Adventures

The Sims

Sonic the Hedgehog

Most of the Final Fantasy titles

Crash Bandicoot

Little Big Planet

Tekken

The original Tomb Raiders

Now I'm not saying that an M game can't be successful, but games that are not M can also be wildy popular. (I guarantee more people know Tetris and Mario than Bioshock and Resident Evil)

Referring to your list of "on air" swearing... "Appearing on a late night live satire programme called BBC3, Kenneth Tynan becomes the first man to say “F***” on TV. A national fit of apoplexy follows with one Tory MP suggesting that Tynan should hang!". Now I hope I'm not the only one to notice the backlash to his language... "Tynan should hang!" and "a national fit of apoplexy" (meaning a state of shock much like one of a seizure) Now does that sound like a people who "We swore then and we swear now. A lot". the term "bloody" has more reason to be there than the F-Bomb ever does. I did watch the video that Stephen Fry made and it felt so one sided and selfish it hurt. I was personally offended when he said "I couldn't imagine going though life without swearing and without enjoying swearing." I along with many of my friends, peers, and coworkers go everyday without swearing. I would say the times the people in the video weren't swearing were the times I found it to be the funniest. "I dont give a flying toss." I laughed at that point when the rest of the time I was offended by the comments that they were making. "It's just thanks to society and up-turned ways that it's seen as a bad thing" This argument is completely wrong , just look at this thread more people are defending swearing than going against it. Swearing is more accepted today than it ever has been in the past. Disgusting.

You also seem a little confused about what we don't want. I don't really care about the blood either way. (I will leave it off but would still play it even if I couldn't) It's the rest of the mature content that I am worried about. There is no need for content that would make this game even close to rated M. The only mature content this game needs is drug use and violence. Swearing isn't needed nor is any sexual content of ANY nature. It's really sounding like the language is what will make this game rated M.

The best of luck and wishes to you and Compulsion. I would love to be able to play this game but if its rated M, I personally wont be playing it (along with many others... I guarantee that.) I just don't want to see a great game go this way for no reason...

So my questions still stands... Would you play the game if it were rated T and there were no F-Bombs?

Then why does it HAVE to be Rated M?

Okay. For starters, I am about 90% sure that you two (sdawgsc2 and JohnHankies) are the exact same person based on the timing that sdawg's account was created and the formatting and style of writing in the response. If not, no ill feelings about it but really, it's just too much of a coincidence.

Secondly, did either or you (or just you, John) even do any research into this game before coming on here? When I saw the Kickstarter I knew that this game was most likely going to get an M rating. When the premise of your game deals with a dystopian society, where something so horrifically terrible has happened to cause the society to create a drug to make them forget everything, while remaining extremely hostile and violent towards those who refuse that choice to the point that they'll straight up murder the non-conformers....this game isn't going to have a happy and pleasant, fun-for-all experience. When people are already calling it a spiritual successor to BioShock, a very bloody and violent game with language aplenty, that should have been your red flag to stop following We Happy Few's development and gone back to your FNAF and your Slender games. You know, those games about children that get murdered by demonic entities and robot animals? Those sure are fun for everyone. You should enjoy We Happy Few, considering the children of Wellington Wells may have suffered a terrible fate.

And now onto the topic of swearing. I've been playing the game as a pre-alpha tester since build 7 or 8, I believe, and I'm pleased to inform you that many of the Wastrels and Wastrelettes are more than happy to scream expletives at your face should you be crass enough to steal their precious foods and materials while in their presence. Even walking past them is enough for them to tell you to 'bugger off'. So it's already there, mate. I think our resident Forum Wastelette @Otherbuttons is the voice behind some of those lines. And this latest build added a new wake up scene that has Arthur uttering the dreaded "S" word to himself as he climbs out of the shelter bed. (That word would be "shit" by the way. It's English.)

Personally, I don't swear except on very few occasions, such as being overly frightened or just incredibly frustrated with something. Heck, I've even included swearing in some of my writing when I felt it was best suited. But I couldn't give two flying flips (see what I did there?) if someone else or a character in some form of media were to swear. I'm currently a sound designer for the theatre troupe at my college, and the play we're putting on right now is chock full of "fucks", "shits" and "damns". And before you even ask, the show is "All In The Timing", and it is a critically acclaimed show in the world of theatre. If you worry about swearing being in media you're going to have a very boring life. Because it's everywhere. At some point you're going to move on and accept that these words exist, and people will use them.

Look. You've come onto a forum for a game that, from the start, should have been obvious it was going to contain many, many mature themes and content. Your original post came across, to me, as very rude and biased the way you seemed to tell Compulsion that the game they're making will not sell unless it conforms to the formula of YouTube fodder. This game isn't going to be a game someone can record while screaming into a microphone. Reading everything the devs post here and share with us every Friday, it's going to be a very well thought out and engrossing experience. Yes, there's going a lot of uncomfortable and mature situations involved in the narrative. There might even be more swearing. They're not going to change it simply because you think people aren't going to buy it (starting with you) if it has swearing. If your only point of argument is "You're going to lose sales because of swearing/violence/blood/drugs/etc" you really do need to just go. This game is not certainly not for you, complaining here will not change that.

And no, I would not be turned away from playing this if it were rated T. Just like I'm not turned away by the likely M rating. If you can't handle an M rated game, then maybe you should go back to playing something more kid-friendly like FIFA and Mario Party until you're ready to take on games with more mature and complex subject matters.

Cheers,

Hayden Locke

So my questions still stands... Would you play the game if it were rated T and there were no F-Bombs?

Then why does it HAVE to be Rated M?

Yes. Just as I would play a game if it were M rated and had F-bombs.

So why does it HAVE to be Rated T? Most people have generally adapted to not being stuck-up about swearing these days, perhaps it's the moment to 'get with the times' as they say?

Also, literally everything that @Iris_Lockspur said. That was very beautifully written.

Whoa this thread exploded in the last few hours! Haha.

First off... sdawgsc2 and I are NOT the same person (good Sherlock Holmes skills, though.)

I want to personally apologize to Compulsion Games. I did not mean to be rude. I was just frustrated because I LOVE the concept of this game and I LOVED Contrast. I really wanted to play this game and this news was hard to swallow. I don't like swearing. I can't stand it. That's really my only concern about We Happy Few and I was just hoping that Compulsion could see that I am a huge fan and I really wanted to support this game. It literally was/is the game I am MOST excited for in 2016! My friends and I have been closely following this game and we have been STOKED!

Sorry to you guys, Otherbuttons and Hayden... I didn't mean to make you guys mad. However, Hayden, yes I was rude to Compulsion and for that I really am sorry... But you were also rude to me. Just remember that being rude to someone that is rude still makes you rude. I, despite my awful wording, hope that you guys can see that not everyone likes foul language. Have compassion. Look at this from another perspective please. I see your points and I understand them. Please just see what I'm saying as well.

Otherbuttons... While I respect your argument, no. I will not 'get with the times.' I firmly believe in standing up for what you know is right... and I can say that cussing is not right. Feel free to cuss yourself, but don't force that belief on everyone else. It's unfair. I will not change my beliefs to something corrupt simply because it's 'with the times.'

My real concern is with Compulsion. If anyone from Compulsion is reading this... Please, I beg of you... Hear me out. I am very sorry for my previous rudeness. Please just see that foul language is wrong. It's not needed to express the emotions that this game is trying to portray. All I was trying to say is I know that you can write creatively enough to not use cussing. This game really doesn't need to be rated M. It can be violent and use minor cussing if you really see it fit, but this game doesn't NEED to be M. It doesn't have to be. If you make it T, more people can play it. Otherbuttons and Hayden both said that they'd still play it if it's T, but if it's M, I and others I know will not play it. It's backwards compatible. See what I'm saying? It's like in math where you can say that a square is a rectangle, but a rectangle is not a square. I just want you to see that. I feel like it is the right thing to say. If you want to just toss my words into the trash, I understand. At least I've done my best to plead that you guys open this game up to us massive fans who REALLY want to play it. Who REALLY want to support it. Who REALLY want to support you. I promise you... If you make this game T, I will be your best salesman EVER. Haha! I love your company. I just want to be a part of this.

Thanks for hearing me out. I really want the best for you guys and I hope you can see what I'm trying to say even though I'm not a wordsmith. Sorry for my original approach. It was stupid. But I'm pleading that you hear me now.

Thanks!

Respect,

-John

I do, too, apologize if I came off a little annoyed. I was more just trying to get an opinion across, same as you. I only actually replied to this in the first place because- as you've apologized for- it did seem a little rude to force your beliefs on Compulsion without any cited research or academic backing up- and that can make all the difference in a case like this.

But you say to me that I'm forcing an opinion on you to 'get with the times', however that is literally all this thread has been: you trying to force Compulsion to adhere to your beliefs. beliefs that they may not share with you. And there's a difference between going 'have you considered?' and opening up this whole can of eggs with threatening that people won't play it and having zero fact to back that up. You say ' I will not change my beliefs to something corrupt simply because it's 'with the times.' then why should Compulsion do the same to get with one or two people who have different beliefs? I've often heard the whole point of Indie compared to Triple AAA is that we don't have to stick to these big ol' 'we need stuff that SELLS. MONEY MONEY MONEY' rules, where-as you're making that out to be the reason for change here.

In the fact that the only way to argue back is to hit their same notes, so I too ask you to please hear me out and see my side. We can agree to disagree- I'm fine with that- but the hypocrisy here is quite alarming.

We'll agree to disagree, but I hope you can also see that it's not only 'one or two' with this belief. This is a worldwide issue here. I don't know if you have children, but if you do (and even if you don't you'll see what I'm saying), would you cuss in front of your little innocent kid? Would you say 'terrible things' and F-Bombs in front of them? Why do they rate movies R if there are three F-Bombs? Why is it frowned upon to swear in public? It's more than just me, man. Why would there even be Parents' Guides for games and movies if people didn't care?

As for my proof... I've got a big group of friends that LOVE you play horror games and games like WHF. All of us won't buy this if it's filthy like this. I know we're not the only group of people like this, just like you're not the only person who doesn't mind it.

I'm not meaning to be hypocritical, I just am trying to stand up for what I believe in. (And no offense... But what is there to stand up for with cussing? It's wrong and society knows that. That's why we have ratings.) I just don't see how cutting a few 4-letter-words out of the game hurts it's originality and purpose.

Why not have fun together? Why do you seem so hard set in cutting those of us who don't like cussing out of the loop? We're just like you... We just want a thrill with an innovative game.

I don't mean to be rude or 'unprepared,' I just want to be a part of this.

Hey guys!

Thanks for sharing your opinions. We don't set out to make a game "Mature", or "Teen". The inclusion of Mature content in We Happy Few is not a commercial decision, but an artistic decision on the story we are trying to tell. We could try telling it with a PG rating, but it wouldn't be the same story, and it wouldn't have the same impact.

If this is difficult to understand, I'd suggest Pan's Labyrinth as an example. It is a movie masterpiece, and consistently named as one of the best of the century. It is also very violent (much more so than We Happy Few), and it would never achieve it's artistic integrity without juxtaposing the violent reality of Ophelia's surroundings with the dream-world she creates to cope with something she is not yet old enough to comprehend. That is a story you cannot tell compellingly with a PG rating.

We Happy Few touches on very strong (and inherently mature) subjects that are still current today: Drug use, Denial, Social Conformity. It is our feeling that we cannot treat these subjects with integrity, nor tell the story we want to tell in it, in a PG Game. I'm genuinely sorry if this disappoints some of you. We may well make another PG rating game in the future, but we're firm on the direction and our vision for this game.

Guillaume.

Hey there, Guillaume!

Wow, what an honor to speak to the CEO of this operation!

I understand your stance and I'll have to catch you guys later. Good luck!

However, in closing, I still just want to reaffirm that you could keep the full 'integrity' of Drug Use, Denial, and Social Conformity without the use of F-Words. Look at Fahrenheit 451. Bradbury was a genius without excess cussing. I just felt like you could tell the story with a PG-13 rating (of course not a PG rating). I understand the violence, and even minor cussing, but I just feel like the F-Bombs are just not necessary for your environment. But I understand your view and decision.

Good luck!

-John

I find it funny you use Fahrenheit 451 as an example for your argument, considering it was once under fire (heh) for the abundant use of "damn", "hells" and "goddammit". In fact, copies were once handed out to a school with every instance of swearing blacked out, taking away any meaning those words held in those particular sections of the book and taking away the literary strength of those passages. Not to mention the subject matter of 451 is literally about censorship in media, something you seem to be trying to impose on We Happy Few.

Honestly, do you even read, play, or watch any of your examples? In your base post you mention the Youtubers Markiplier, PewDiePie, and Jacksepticeye. And then today you say "...would you cuss in front of your little innocent kid?" You do realise that each of these personalities swear, a lot, and are watched by millions of people every single day, including a very large portion of children. Many of the games you listed may be rated T but their content is not "family friendly" just because it lacks foul language.

I've honestly cannot fathom how you continue to be so steadfast despite Guillaume, Naila, Buttons, and myself telling you that simply censoring the swearing will not get the T rating you so desperately want. I'm sorry if I'm coming across as rude, but really I am trying my hardest to keep from saying worse things. I hope you can someday understand that but carrying on like this is not going to help get what you want.

Please, do try and lighten up a bit. A little swearing never harmed no one, except maybe Mary Whitehouse. All the best.

Cheers,

Hayden Locke

I leave you with this: 'It's wrong and society knows that.'

At one point society also thought that blacks having any power was wrong and that being homophobic was wrong. Times change.

All's been said that I can say anyhow tbh.

Alright ya'll... If this is the community for this game, I dunno if I want to be a part of it anyway. It's pretty sad that a company that once made Contrast now attracts... this.

I apologized. I was being very respectful in my post today, but you guys aren't.

Hope you enjoy the game! Enjoy it for me, will ya? Thanks for looking out for a fellow person! Have fun!

Hey @JohnHankies!

We try to be inclusive in all the work we do, but we also hope you guys have an understanding and appreciation of the creative direction we decide to take for our games. I - for one - read every e-mail and forum post you sent us. But the story we have to tell this time around just isn't something suited for children. I'm in a unique position to appreciate what that means as I've had to explain this to my own two daughters: the work daddy was working wouldn't be something they could experience until they got older.

Faranheit 451 was a fantastic movie, for which we have a lot of respect, which has inspired a few (as of yet undisclosed) elements of the game. So is Clockwork Orange, 1984, Brazil, The Prisoner, even early James Bond movies, or more recent depictions of the era, such as Austin Powers or Tom Hardy's fantastic performance in Legend last year. We spent thousands of hours studying fashion, trends, movies, gender psychology, architecture, and we carefully consider the comments or advice you guys give in the forums, even if I wish we had more time to spend to participate in discussions more actively.

However, in this instance, unfortunately, the story we have to tell is mature in subject. We've kept very quiet about its nature, but there is simply no way the ESRB rating board would ever approve of it for minors... and that is also exactly why it won't be "generic", or attempt to please as many people as possible.

I hope you find my response respectful, and that we can - as a result - close this thread. I also hope that - in light of understanding how much all of your opinions matter to the entire team at Compulsion, that you keep contributing on future projects we might undertake.

Guilaume.

Now that's a response, Guillaume. Thanks for your respect.

I respect your creative liberties and I agree to close the thread.

While I still think this heavy language is innapropriate in any case, your response was wonderful and I'll have to agree to disagree.

Thanks for your consideration!

Best of luck to Compulsion!

-John

I'm just repeating what other people have already said here, but to put it simply, Compulsion does not chose what the rating is going to be beforehand and then tailor the game around that. They chose to tell a story as creatively and well made as possible, and whatever rating the end product falls under is the rating it will get. Because this is the case, to ask them to reduce the rating to include a younger audience would be asking them to change the story, which is something that the Compulsion team cannot do without damaging it.

We Happy Few, along with many other mature rated games and movies, are not matured rated just for the fun of having inappropriate themes. Many are rated mature because very important elements that are necessary to the story are mature, and that cannot be changed without dumbing it down and butchering the intent of the story. :)

I am so in love with the concept of this game! Graphics look great, and seems like a funny/scary/dark twist. It's about time we get something different, and I disagree with everyone here. "NOT EVERY GAME HAS TO BE RATED T". Games are just like movies, the perfect example: "DEADPOOL". Rated R and still way better than many others and made more money than lotssss of movies based on the margin profit (amount spent minus profit). Again, this game I think is going to do great, and since it comes out on my birthday will be my own personal gift. Have a great day and people, BE HAPPY :)