Sign in to follow this  
Danymaster20

Two players local co-op split-screen?

Hi @Danymaster20,

There are a few reasons why we don't intent to do co-op at the moment, in my opinion (doesn't imply the rest of the team agrees with me). One is that it doesn't really fit the world or the story. Being with someone else would remove a lot of the intended feeling of survival in the city. The player is alone in a city of crazy people, being with a companion would kind of break the spell.

But the main reason is technical: multiplayer is hard to do, lots of thing that are very simple in single player become problematic when several players are involved (for instance we need to add third person versions of all the first person animation so you can see what your partner is doing), and we don't have the workforce to support all the gameplay features in multiplayer, for the moment at least.

Split screen is also its own beast, lots of studios have dropped it in recent years (even though I agree it's a really cool feature in some games) because the performance suffers a lot and the game doesn't look very good, and it also requires specific effort (the HUD elements for instance: some need to be shared, some need to be split. Music and sound also have elements that are sometimes split and sometimes shared), etc. Simply put it's not just adding an extra player and an extra camera.

It's not something that is totally ruled out, but it's definitely not planned for the moment.

I love Co-Op and multiplayer games, but some games just wouldn't suit it, I would love to go around with my boyfriend and beat wellies todeath with cricket bats, but I wouldn't think it would suit the ton and feel of the game, for that reason I'm happy that there will be no co-op/online mode to WHF, I've seen too many single player experience games kindof get the tone of the game ruined because of tacked on Online mode (Fear 3 and Dead Space 3 jumps to mind).