Sign in to follow this  
Vercci

Any chance of saving the game on crash?

I've been trying to play this game for a while, I stopped ages ago when the inventory crashes came about because of how frequent they were. After a couple of months, I read how lots of them seemed to be fixed, and Indeed I didn't crash within the first 5 minutes. However, not long after I made my way into the main areas of Wellington Wells I had a random crash and lost about 30 minutes of work and two particularly hard bridges.

I can appreciate how this is an actual "alpha" and not just a marketing stunt, but could a concession be made here? Even if it's taken out later once the game's pretty stable.

The thing about crashes is they just happen, with no warnings to accommodate them. Trying to add a system that saves on crashes would be incredibly difficult.

Unless, of course, an autosave system was added that saved the game every 5-10 minutes or so in the background. Wouldn't save all your progress but would prevent having to redo a long stretch of progress.

Trust me, I know your struggle. Last build I crashed in the same area probably 5 times, and it would really put me off of playing for a few days.

@Vercci: Look at it this way -- a program crashes when its software or hardware encounters something it isn't able to handle and cannot resume normally. Even if we were able to escape this situation and long enough to save the game state, it is entirely possible that saving at that point would also save whatever invalid state that caused the crash in the first place. To put it simply, it'd be a lot of work and I'd rather just fix crashes so they don't happen!

Do you remember anything about the moments leading up to the crash? If you get a crash again, feel free to tag it with @Vercci or something to that effect in the report comment and I'll take a closer look at it.

On the other hand, an autosave option would be nice, it's just that saves currently hitch the game for a short while on most machines so I'll have to take the time to give proper feedback that the game is saving.