Sign in to follow this  
Naila

Pre-Alpha Build 10: Filler Buildings and Alleys

Season’s greetings!

We hope you’re all settling into December, enjoying a bit of festive cheer, maybe some drunken and awkward/inappropriate work parties, as well as being assaulted on all sides by incessant Christmas music.

If you’d like to delve into a bit of happy person bashing, we’d like to present Pre-alpha Build 10, which is a major tech update that introduces our new filler building system and alleyways. These are big, complicated systems that Matt has been tearing his hair out over for some time, and should significantly change the game.

The new filler system means that houses will be packed tightly up against one another in the Village and the third biome, which will restrict the methods you have to resolve conflict - it won’t always be as easy as running for the proverbial hills any more. The filler system also improves the appearance of these areas a huge amount - so make sure you check out our artists’ hard work. Alleyways tie into the filler system, by providing additional places to hide and move throughout the world. We’ll leave you guys to discover their uses - we’d love to hear your feedback on our forums.

As always, we have implemented a bunch of other changes, which combined with the filler/alley systems should have a large impact on how the game is played. So, without further ado, here are the changes we have implemented this month:

Environment

• New filler system! The streets are now bordered by our new filler system. Don’t worry, all your favourite shops remain, just in a different form; be on the lookout for new signs.

• Massive art update for both the Village and the third biome.

• Alleyways now implemented! Escape, prowl or just chill out at your leisure. They are a bit empty right now, but are functional.

• Cars! What’s up with their wheels, though?

• New decorations in the Village!

• We have improved the distribution of the main interactable houses - take a look on our new map.

• Intersection tiles are a known issue. It’s cosmetic only, and we will fix this in time.

• Updated ground leaves.

• World map size has been reduced; density of interactable buildings increased.

• Fuses no longer blind you in An Odd End.

Gameplay

• Joy revamp: Joy intake is much more controllable now. Any amount of Joy will activate the effect and it is easier to keep it active by taking more as you need. Longer periods of time on Joy will result in a stronger and longer withdrawal.

• You can now sleep in NPC houses, but remember what happened to Goldilocks.

• Combat updates: you can now break NPC’s weapons if you’re wielding a more powerful weapon than they are.

• Combat updates: minor improvements to hand to hand combat (collisions/reactions).

• Combat animation updates: NPCs now move based on the root motion of their own animations (rather than adjusting the animation to match their move speed). Several new animations added to provide for more interesting combat - NPCs can now strafe diagonally. Should lead to better looking NPC combat.

• Needy NPCs: NPCs who want/need something will now spawn throughout the world. If you give them stuff, they might give you different stuff.

• Mantling changes: there are now low mantle and high mantle animations.

• New item: torch! The torch from An Odd End scenario is now craftable, and useable everywhere. Low quality settings can not use this yet, so An Odd End has been modified in Low quality settings to account for this. Still not as cool as a sonic screwdriver, but we’re working on it.

• New item: stealth shoes! They’re like slippers, but more home made.

• New item: brick! It’s… a brick. Think of it as an upgraded rock.

• You may now choose to enjoy scenic river views while on a bench, without having to peer over the newspaper.

• Houses are now open, as opposed to locked by default.

UI

• Improved map! Lootable houses and other interesting tidbits now spawn inside the map, and there is a legend to help you.

• The new notification system is in. This is only used occasionally right now - you will see a lot more of it in the next update.

Audio

• Lots of new NPC barks.

• Arthur shouldn’t be self-reflective quite so often now, and occasionally says other things too.

Under the Hood

• Fixed crash on looting certain NPCs.

• Significant improvements to memory usage. If you were memory limited on a 4GB machine before and moved to Low settings to compensate (even though your graphics card can do more), feel free to try a higher quality setting. Also lowers generation time.

Just updated and tried to play it. All the details and notes look awesome! However, every time I try to start a new game it is crashing pretty shortly into the loading screen consistently. Windows 10 for reference

Edit: Just randomly worked. Not sure why it kept crashing, but I submitted reports in the prompt. Going to try out the build now!

Hey @Jon1renicus! did it produce a crash report?

It can happen when you try to continue from a previous update instead of selecting New Game.

@Naila,

It didn't give any info, it was the prompt that allowed me to enter in the circumstances during the crash and send a report. Admittedly it was a little vague since it was just during the initial load screen. For reference, it was starting a brand new game and not continuing a save from a past update. I'm not sure what was causing it, but it started up a few minutes after my post and several attempts

@Jon1renicus Feel free to send the report when this happens, it will help us narrow it down.

Are you saying it works now?

@Naila

I definitely send the reports anytime I get a crash, I know how helpful it can be vs just saying "it crashed". It does seem to working fine now after I kept trying it repeatedly it decided to launch for me. Enjoying this build a lot! It seems the wellies are particularly mean to me and like to fight

I've run into a glitch where I can't leave the shelter. It prompts to hold E in order to exit and fades out after holding down the correct key. After a second it reloads the shelter.

Hello! Just got done playing the new build for a bit. I enjoy the new aesthetic of the filler building system but I noticed a lot of issues with the build.

First off, I'm still encountering AI issues where the AI will randomly get angry with me, and then proceed to chase me...for a very, very long time. No matter how many times I weave between buildings in the Garden District they never stop chasing me until I manage to get into a house with a jump-only area. It's worse in the Village since I can't just run through the streets to escape. Random aggro is also an issue, as I was randomly targeted by 3 Bobbies, on the top floor of a house, who proceeded to break into the house and beat me down in the bedroom. Also, the torch never spawned in my An Odd End scenario, and I'm playing in medium settings.

Another issue I noticed is the Village had a very small number of enterable houses for me. I think I only saw around 5 or 6 in my run, and walked an entire stretch of a road from the back and only found one house I could get into. Also, I found an event spawned way out back behind the village near the edge of island, I guess it was a barbecue? The Wellies disappeared overnight and when I went back the next day to loot the steak, they all were there as ghosts and pulled out weapons. (I have a screenshot of this.) The houses in the Garden District are having some colliding errors, as well. Top floors of some houses are inaccessible because of invisible obstacles blocking things. I'm also still encountering bridges that are flipped, with the Garden sides being on the Village sides.

I'm going to try again in the next day or so since I'm typing this up rather late in the evening, but those were the biggest issues I could see. Performance-wise, it is a huge improvement. The 45 minutes or so I played I didn't have any lag spikes or performance drops so that's fantastic. And some of the new barks from the Bobbies freaked me out. ("Surrender now and I won't beat your face in!") I hope all that makes sense and if you need clarity I plan to do some recording sometime this week so I can point out issues I found. Cheers!

Also, the torch never pawned in my An Odd End scenario, and I'm playing in medium settings.

Try looking in your crafting menu. ;)

It's true the amount of houses has been adjusted a bit but it's mostly layout making them seem scarce. Between the more uniform distribution and the alleyways making it harder to reach the back door of houses, it can seem like there aren't many houses reachable. This is a work in progress, we'll definitely tune it.Iin the meantime, houses are unlocked to mitigate this somewhat.

Thanks for reporting the aggro issues and invisible wellies, they're a recurring issue with many different causes. I think I know what caused the aggro in your case -- do you remember if it was night time when it happened?

I think it had just gotten dark. I don't even know what happened, I had performed a stealth takedown and then I heard the front door being busted open followed by an angry Bobby cornering me in the upper bedroom.

Is it possible the bobby I angered the previous night was still locked onto me?

No, probably not, but we identified an issue with the TVs, at night they switch on and turn towards you (as during the day) when you're close, and attract bobbies. The bug is that they do that even if you're inside the house. It was probably what caused the aggro in your case. It will be fixed in the next update.

Ah, that is quite odd. I never would have known that, either, since TVs don't seem to be working for me. I hear radio just fine, but all the tellies are just grey screens. Oh, and I did forget to mention a sound bug I encountered. It seems that any time a Wellie within my line of sight opens or closes a newspaper, no matter how far away, I hear the audio of the paper as if I was the one opening and closing it.

And so you have to craft the torch? That would make more sense, I was under the impression one of the corpses would have one on him. thanks for clearing that up!

Yeah. The scripted light that was used in the Odds and Ends for so long was unstable and finnicky. Since we were supposed to make a craftable torch anyway, it seemed like the easier fix.

Also, I just submitted a hotfix that addresses the crash on savegame load.

Hello, again! Just got finished with a play session and I noticed a model issue with Arthur. When you charge up a large weapon, like a cricket bat or pipe-hammer, you can see the ends of his arms. It's nothing major, but just thought I should let you all know just in case it's been overlooked.

C848F2D1AD3A1E7DE290548CC9596B0486130AEE

Also, I assume this is just a placeholder object, but I found it rather odd when I picked it from the lone Wastrel's stash.

D3E449B1DA4FFFE2D175BCEB6EBD79D549BF6A82

@Iris_Lockspur, It seems that seeing the end of the arms like that only happens because your FOV is set so high, it's quite difficult for us to makes animations that looks good for any value, and at the same time we don't want to restrict you if you really want to play with such a "fish eye" FOV.

The axe problem is a bug with the object itself, will fix soon.