Sign in to follow this  
Frost

Balancing Joy Question

I understand that once youre in the inner cities you need your joy to be up for the others around you to not be hostile. Some questions I've been wondering though is what makes it go up and down and how much of the bar should be filled to be considered safe? I understand that a lot of pills and consumables (especially water and the booths) raise it greatly and that it lowers slowly over time. My big problem is that my bar will literally drop to nothing out of no where and it has nothing to do with those glowy yellow particle wave things. I'll be just running around outside with full joy and, BAM!, zero joy and everyone kills me and its over.

Does anyone know why this happens or can answer how much joy is needed to pass the hostility threshold of citizens and/or guards. I'm just sick of having to start over because I cant balance joy with knowledge.

Thanks

You don't need to be on Joy in order to avoid attacks, it just helps. And seeing you "coming down" when the Joy wears off alerts Wellies, so try to get out of sight when things start going grey and blurry.

If you're just walking through the town, occasionally talking to Wellies, there may be some suspicion of you but they won't attack unless you draw too much attention, e.g. running, jumping, breaking in, attacking someone. The Criers are more sensitive, but a wave and Talk can often allay their suspicions. Oh, and crafting a Fancy Suit will allow you to do almost anything without drawing suspicion, from Wellies and even the Downers in the Garden District.

@Frost, @Wilson is correct. The crash itself draws suspicion more than just being off Joy, so you have to be careful about your timing. It doesn't actually lower over time, however -- there's a single crash and that's it.

As for the threshold itself, if the world looks happy and bright, then you're good to go. It's a binary state, there's no "partially on Joy". I did notice while playtesting the update that the bridge Joy detector seems to go off even if you're on Joy but with a low amount of drug -- that's a bug I will need to address.

But the current Joy effect is a quick and dirty prototype we crunched together very fast as a proof of concept... It's not up to par for what is supposed to be one of our core mechanics. We do have an improved design in the works and I'm hoping to get it in sooner than later so we can balance and experiment with it, but other priorities might push it back a little bit.