Sign in to follow this  
combatmedic02

Trailer feels Bioshockesque, sign me up!

I was really intrigued by the announcement trailer! The game gives off the same sort of atmosphere as Bioshock, a game I loved and an experience that I have found hard to come by, yet one I yearn to experience again. I hope Compulsion Games has one hell of a story line for this game as I really would look forward to being captured and immersed by a game in such a way again as I am yet to find anything that has come close until of course when I saw this trailer. You have my interest Compulsion Games. I will watch this space. :)

I'm a huge, huge Bioshock fan as well, and that's what caught my eye about We Happy Few. But in an interview at PAX East, they mentioned that the map would randomly generate as you played, which sounds like it could limit storytelling somewhat. I would absolutely love another romp through a retro-dystopian society that critiques human behavior and makes social commentary in the ways Bioshock did, and it would be killer if WHF did something similar, but I think it's important we judge the game on it's own when it's released! Bioshock is a tough act to be compared to haha.

@combatmedic02 Which Bioshock game did you enjoy the most? Everyone seems to like infinite the most and I have to agree, especially the way the DLC brings everything together. Really put the series in a new light for me.

Oh really? I didn't know about the random generation. That's a shame. I mean, a lot of games are adding random generation to their games these days and it doesn't always make the game better. Sure you get replayability but I'd rather have a truly great story experience any day. Randomly generated games are a bit... forgettable? Where as a great story, with well thought out characters and a thick lore will stick in your mind forever. At least that's how I see it?

As for my favorite Bioshock, I liked infinite but I don't think you can beat the original. Though, the following games added in heaps of character development and story. I don't know, I just loved that whole universe. Everything was so interesting and every character had a past to discover.

I don't know but I hope We Happy Few has some form of storyline and isn't just another random level generated survival game. The trailer set a really interesting scene, I'd love to explore this creepy world, meet all kinds of characters and get into tons of freaky scenarios. I think one of the things that grabbed me about Bioshock was how the splicers interacted with each other and their crazed personalities.

I'd like to topple the system in We Happy Few. Play a rich storyline that sees the player cripple the drug production that would plunge everything into chaos or maybe just wake the village's inhabitants up from a corrupt overlord. This kind of game seems like it could have so much potential.

Actually I'm surprised nobody's mentioned this, but the vibe I got from this game was less from Bioshock and more.....like that episode of the Twilight Zone, Eye of the Beholder. For anyone that doesn't know about it, check it out. It's one of the few eps that still throws modern-day audiences for a loop, and also has some decent shock value to accompany it.

To the members of the Compulsion Team, I'm pretty zazzed that someone is actually creating a game like this, and I hope it's every bit as messed up and terrifying and claustrophobic as the trailer suggested. Should you guys need someone to do some Alpha testing, I'll be happy and eager to volunteer. I also think it's genius that you guys are reaching out to the community about this game, early in the development process. I can already tell this is a game that will be relevant, interesting and terrifying for years to come.