Sign in to follow this  
CynicalDowner

Initial thoughts about WHF Pre-alpha

I'll preface this by saying that I am enjoying the game very much. With that said , there were two occasions where the main character got stuck in the scenery and was unable to move, even deliberately provoking wastrels/wellies would not free the character, the only solution was to quit and reload the save.

Additionally there are some wellies who seem to be able to detect me extremely quickly. I appear to be successfully blending in, and then with little to no warning or opportunity to defuse the situation , one wellie shouts downer and alerts all the others of my presence. This occurs when I am obeying all rules and actively blending in.

Also the moniors that display the Uncle Jack TV shows were all switched off in one playthrough, though if I recall correctly, I could still hear his voice.

Apologies if this has been mentioned before, but the suspicion indicator in the top left is confusing, it seems that it changes state when you perform a suspicious action, not when you are actually detected. This confused me as I began to flee the scene of a theft, or killing of a wellie or wastrel, as I thought I had been detected. I then ended up alerting suspicion by running through the streets, and promptly received a "jolly good thrashing".

One more comment and a question to close; after playing on one of the rides, a yellow grid appeared over one of the wellies and remained there ever since. And the question is: When travelling from the wastelands to the main area, when the map is seperated by the door, not the joy detector or the police guard. The wellies and the police shout downer at other wastrels that come through the door with you and proceed to beat them, before they beat the main character. This is confusing as both the wastrels and the wellies, call you a downer, implying that both groups are taking joy. As that is the case, why do the wellies treat the wastrels as if they are downers? Or is it simply that there are other downers amongst the wastrels apart from the player character?

I hope this doesn't make me sound like too much of a downer, as I am greatly enjoying playing, and I am impressed with the quality of the game, especially considering the fact that it is pre-alpha. Thank you for making great innovative titles, and I look forward to seeing what changes and improvements you make towards the final release.

@CynicalDowner Thanks for the feedback!

If you or anyone else gets stuck, it's really helpful for us to get screenshots of each situation. With a screenshot we can review and try and address the situation, but otherwise we're flying a bit blind. In the meantime, if you open the console with ~, and type "ghost" you will be able to fly out of the situation. Type "walk" to walk as normal.

Re the Wellie situation, thank you. I've heard about this a bit on the forums and just experienced it yesterday in testing - we don't yet know what it's randomly happening but we'll look to address it before the next update. No promises though, it's extremely sporadic and these things usually take time to nail down.

Suspicion indicator: thanks. We've changed this internally, it'll change with the next update.

Wastrels: Wastrels are people who Joy does not work for. They're outcasts from society, and the Wellies beat them up because they bring them down. Hope that makes sense.

We'll keep working on things - next update we're focusing on night time, so it'll change the way you play a great deal. There will also be some interesting combat and suspicion changes!

@Sam You're welcome. Thanks for your response.

I actually have video of both occasions when I got stuck, I'll edit them and post them here ASAP. Is a YouTube link permitted in the forum?

Thank you I understand that the game is pre-alpha, just glad to help where I can :) looking forward to seeing what you have done with suspicion indicator, night time play and combat and suspicion.

Thanks for information on Wastrels, that helps me understand that better - I was confused by that.

@CynicalDowner yep absolutely, Youtube is fine :) No rush, we might not be able to address the issues before the next update, depending on how complicated the fixes are. But I'll take a look and let you know.

@Sam Great, thanks. I'll get them posted as soon as I can. No worries, just hope they are helpful :) Another weird event happened when I was playing, a wastrel just attacked me unprovoked with no indication or warning that I was detected as a downer. I killed the wastrel but no other wastrels reacted, and things just carried on as normal afterwards. There weren't many around, but I thought at least one would have seen it. I have video of this too.

@CynicalDowner Thank you! I'm just adding time codes to help the team review these.

1:25 wow, that's weird. Genuinely surprised you are stuck there.

3:06 equally surprised.

The random Downer cries etc are potentially due to a bug we have where suspicion shooting from 0 to 100 far too rapidly. It's rare, but we haven't narrowed it down yet. However, we do have a fix for when you're fighting Wastrels alongside Wellies - the specific example you showed at the bridge shouldn't occur next time around.

8:35 thanks for pointing this out - it looks like collision debug information.

9:30 not necessarily a bug. We're going to redesign the Crier (the little old lady) but at this stage she is a HYPER suspicious character. She's basically a walking "avoid at all costs" NPC, and is extremely dangerous because she tags you as a Downer for all to see. We used to have a "Tagged as a Downer" status effect, but we took it out in the hope that it would be more immersive. We may review that, we will see.

10:20 the best thing to do with crashes is to submit a crash report - if the game crashes it should bring up a window that allows you to submit a crash report, along with a box to describe what you were doing at the time. If the crash reporter isn't coming up, make sure you have the latest version of the game and up-to-date drivers. If it still happens, and no box comes up, let us know here and we'll take a look (because the crash reporter not coming up is something we need to address).

12:40 yup, you drew his attention. The mistake you made was sticking around after jumping through the window - they really don't like it when you loiter :)

13:20 thanks for this, definite bug!

15:40 also looks like a bug, thank you.

And finally thank you for the shout out :)

We'll be looking at some of these before the next update.

You're welcome, glad the video has been helpful :)

Yeah played a bit more today, the Crier is definitely very suspicious and dangerous, nearly ended my playthrough on multiple occasions. Pretty much as soon as I had managed to defuse the situation, she was getting suspicious again.

Thanks I don't get the option to submit the crash report, but an update that I missed became available for my GPU driver on the 22nd. Just applied it now, so I'll have a look and see what happens the next time it crashes. The game is up to date, my Steam updates are set to automatic. I can post the event viewer log for the crashes if that would help.

Thanks, on watching the video again, I can see that more clearly than I could at the time.

You're welcome for the video and the shout out, thank you for making such a cool game :)