Sign in to follow this  
Naila

Feedback needed: Lady Icon and new water system

Hello!

This week we have some specific questions for those of you who are playing the pre-alpha:

1. In the top left hand corner of the HUD is a lady, who sometimes changes what she looks like. What do you currently understand the purpose of this indicator to be, and how often do you use it?

2. In pre-alpha update 8 we implemented a new way of carrying around water. How do you feel about the new water system?

Let us know!

Just copying @Wilson's comment from another thread, to keep this collated in one place:

You asked two questions about feedback, so I figured I'd answer here.

1. She is an indicator of how others are perceiving you. If she's turned away smiling, nobody is paying attention to you; if she's staring at you then you're under suspicion, and if she's yelling then someone is probably about to attack you. I keep her in my periphery constantly.

2. I like the new container system. Makes more sense to use a canteen for water and a glass bottle for the banger.

1) I understand the lady to be measuring your suspicion level. I tend to watch her most when I'm looting or in other people's houses, as looting especially means you have to remain focused on one thing at the expense of your peripheral vision.

2) I agree, the canteens make a LOT more sense, and furthermore make water more of a premium. Before the switch bottles were so plentiful I was never forced to resort to Joy water to restore my thirst.

Question, though: The bottles have a n indicator for damage like regular weapons, but I can't equip them or quickslot them like a regular weapon or a rock. Is this to be implemented later, or am I being dense? It would be great to be able to use them as distractions (throw off to one side so bobbies are attracted by the sound so you can sneak past them, for example).

@SyAlmans, yes they are equippable in the quickslot, they are throwable objects like the rocks. If you are playing with mouse and keyboard, maybe you are not positioning the mouse correctly over the quickslot? The top spot of the bottle has to be aligned with the quickslot. Or, just right click on it from the inventory while a quickslot is empty.

Hm. Yeah, I'm on mouse and keyboard -- I wasn't paying attention to positioning, since it was never an issue when equipping, say, a First Aid kit. I'll give it a shot later next time I boot up to check on the weird memory leak issue on that file.

1) I only know this because I had started a discussion about the suspicion icon, and one of the devs cleared it up for me. The icon currently represents your "potential" suspicion, i.e. what level of suspicion your current state could arouse should you come into view of an NPC. Before that though, I had assumed it indicated when you were currently being "looked at" by an NPC, and the current level of NPC suspicion, which got confusing when I realized it was being triggered even when NPCs were nowhere around.

Some additional feedback on this; I understand that the change in background music is what indicates the level of NPC suspicion. I hadn't realized this until it was pointed out to me by a dev, and once it was pointed out I realized it to be true and it made sense. However, I think I hadn't realized it to begin with because I don't really pay attention to the music while immersed in the game, and the sudden switch in music isn't very obvious.

My personal take: I think both the music and the suspicion icon should serve as current NPC suspicion level, i.e. the level which NPC's are actually suspicious of you in that moment. Learning what could and/or won't arouse suspicion should be something the player has to learn themselves. That is the fun of the beginning stages of the game, learning through trial and error what is and isn't acceptable behavior. Also, for me personally, most of what causes suspicion is pretty obvious from the get-go (picking locks, jimmying windows), and the rest (running, taking items from dressers in the presence of wastrels) are pretty quickly learned and understood. Once you do learn unacceptable behavior, the suspicion icon in its current state is pretty moot.

2) I think the new canteen/water bottle system is a huge improvement. I think having 1 container for water is much more streamlined and practical. As someone commented on the forum before, since the large and small water bottles were the same size inventory-wise, it made the small ones practically useless once you found a few large ones. Also, it just makes sense to have canteens for water and glass bottles for bangers.

1) Payed little attention to it besides when it lights up in different colors to notify me of my "danger" or stealth levels.

2) the water containers are nice, need something to get food under control now

1) That she shows you how Wellies & Wastrels are perceiving you. It's really handy when stealthing, especially in pacifist runs.

I have seen a lot of lets players going 'Oh, is that who we're playing as? I thought we were a dude? Why do we look like the enemies?' though so perhaps it's not clear enough to others?

2) Agreed on it being an improvement, especially on the canteen side of things.

1. In the top left hand corner of the HUD is a lady, who sometimes changes what she looks like. What do you currently understand the purpose of this indicator to be, and how often do you use it? I've mostly used it as a combat indicator, are there any plans to change how it looks? E.G. Male/Female option or have it be dependent on the character you are playing?

2. In pre-alpha update 8 we implemented a new way of carrying around water. How do you feel about the new water system? I like it! Definitely a convenient aspect to manage thirst

Thanks @Jon1renicus. Nice work on that first dungeon, you asshole.

I think we can close this topic at this point, as we've made a bunch of changes to the lady based on everyone's feedback, and the water system seems to be working well. Thanks everyone!