Sign in to follow this  
lucigen

New Build Feedback

Awesome awesome improvement. Love seeing wellies do things other than lay around, world just feels more alive. Streamed a bunch as usual twitch.tv/lucigen, heres my notes

Love:

- no crafting during combat!

Good:

- Arthur's comments add a bit more mystery, feels better

- love the new gardens, and general movement of the people

- doors work again for them! \o/

- new encounters are cool, again adding to the alive feeling of the city (only saw bobby investigation)

- woo on 5 islands :)

- safe adds much needed dedicated storage (instead of using an old locker)

- sploosh sounds continue to sound awesome <3

Bad:

- Arthur's comments got a bit old even in the 2 hours I played

- Encountered a visible yellow cage around a guy at one point, kinda awkward

- had a life where all the jack screens were black

- i still think its rather easy to just run away

- jumping on top of beds is a sure way to win every fight

- doors in tier 2/3 bridge dont seem to open with anything :( note: i got like 1 but i had a sec card, adv shock lock, multitool and still nothing?

- method of cuttys of stealing hp pack thru wall, walking right in and up stairs, killing shopkeep safely, and then killing brother needs nerf. Maybe lock door behind counter? also if he aggros, immediate call for brother? or siren? something!

yeah, I always thought escaping was too easy, but i hope they will decrease the running speed a little or increase the stamina drainage faster. OR stamina bar will regen slower.

Thanks for the feedback!

yes running away is still a bit easy, we increased the persistence of the NPC but it's true they are not sprint runners. Tuning the player speed or the stamina is tricky though because it affects the whole experience. We'll keep thinking about solutions for that.

I personally found the new level of run-away difficulty to be pretty spot on, or at least more in line with how it should be. It was too easy before, but I definitely noticed the increase in persistence. The first time I went into the game since the new update, I was running away from a few wastrels and was shocked when I turned around to see them still chasing me, when before they would have been long gone. I agree that if you make it too difficult, you could create a never-ending chase where, continually running aggros every new NPC you come across, and you can never actually get away since new NPCs are around every corner. This is mostly true in the village, and I think running away in the garden district -should- be easier since it's mostly a big open space, and wastrels would be more inclined to let it go/give up, in terms of the story.

For me, running away is just about perfect where it is - generally speaking, if I find myself in a situation where I end up needing to run away and hide, I've already paid a price in resources and been unable to come out ahead. When Wellies and Wastrels decide to bash my head in, 90% of the time it's because I'm trying to steal their stuff and/or murder them. Because of this, an aggro situation for me almost always means I've already laid out some resources (lockpicks, weapon stamina, time on the hunger and thirst meters). If I end up in over my head and have to run away, I'm almost always in the hole resource-wise - especially if combat was involved.

I think adding additional resource strain could work well, perhaps in the form of sprinting adversely affecting the hunger and thirst meters (I'm not certain, but it seems like this might already be a thing), but I don't know that the chase itself needs to be harder than it currently is. Maybe scarier, maybe longer, but not necessarily more difficult.