Sign in to follow this  
afrat240

Small thought on suspicion icon

So I don't know the intention for the suspicion icon mechanics for the final game, but in the current version it seems the suspicion icon goes red/yellow whenever you are doing something that would trigger suspicion, regardless of whether there is an NPC around to see it. I find this to be a little distracting, as there have been a few times where I go to pick a lock, etc. see the red icon, and immediately stop to look around for what wellie has spotted me, only to see that I'm still alone and start picking again. I think I would like it better if the suspicion icon only went off when there is an NPC actually being agro-ed.

I could see the argument that this could lessen the difficulty of the game in that, when the coast is clear you would know it, and the moment it's not you would immediately be able to tell. However, I personally see the icon as a warning for when you are being looked at questioningly by an NPC, and the red/yellow indicating the level, obviously. I don't like that it is currently an indicator of the "potential" suspicion, and would argue that having it that way actually decreases the difficulty, as it removes the initial learning curve for suspicious activity. Early in the game, a player should have to learn along with the character what is/isn't acceptable behavior, and learn this through trial and error, that's the fun of it! But when the icon shows your behavior is suspicious right off the bat, you don't get that "Oh crap...guess I can't do that after all" experience, if that makes any sense? Also, once you've played for a short while, you pretty easily gather what is/isn't suspicious behavior, so the icon triggering suspicion no matter the circumstance is a little pointless, as the player already knows what they are doing could cause suspicion.

I honestly love this game already, and the fact that I've gotten hours and hours of fun from it and it's only at the pre-alpha level makes me so excited for what's to come. I also really appreciate how you guys are involving the community during development and am really impressed with the level of response from the team. Great work, guys!

@afrat240 Right now, it tells you how much suspicion your actions would generate, if someone were around to see you. Basically, it's a teaching tool. However, I agree that it's not really working as is - it's confusing and even if it was helpful initially it isn't necessarily that useful once you know what causes suspicion and what doesn't.

The thing is, you already know your current "global" suspicion level by listening to the music. We have both suspicion and combat music that tell you what your current suspicion is, so it seems to me that converting it to reflect the global suspicion level really doesn't give you any more information than you already have.

We'll look into this, as I think we can agree that it needs to be reworked.

The indicator is in fact a "conformity" indicator, it changes depending where you are, what you're wearing and what you're doing. It is true that once you "know" the game it may not be necessary anymore, but we are concerned that some players have major issues understanding the rules.