Sign in to follow this  
Indingo

Racial Diversity?

I'm not sure if this is in the right place so apologies if not.

I'm really excited about this game but looking at the videos and screenshots, it looks like all the characters that appear in the game are white. Are you planning to improve the racial diversity within the game before its official release?

The devs have addressed this in a different topic :)

Yep, we're planning on having skin colour variation in the game, to line up with the very low population diversity historically in southwest England in the 40s. There are lore factors to consider, but we're not talking about them (it's part of the narrative). We also don't have the budget to do more than skin variation.

http://compulsiongames.com/forum/discussion/660/character-models

There is one guy who has sent a joke to Jack in one of his broadcasts who is "not a real englishman, he's an afrikaan from africa. But he's doing his patriotic duty to fit in!". So there's definitely non-whites in and around the town, even if we can't see them yet.

I can see a character from an area that once belonged to the British Empire ( such as India, parts of Africa, etc), but I don't think we'll be seeing a whole lot of non-British (English? Don't know the right term) people in the game. Wellington Wells is supposed to be a small village in southwestern England. A small population isn't usually diverse. Also, I know a lot of immigration in England happened after WW2, but that's our history, not Wellington's dystopian alternate one. WW2 possibly lasted much longer in WHF, and now they're under an authoritative government, from the looks of it. I'm not sure if anyone would even want to immigrate to WHF England, much less actually go.

So, yeah, I don't know. My guess it's going to be fairly monochromatic. :/

the good thing about games set in AUs is that they don't have to be historically correct

we're in a drugged out dystopia with literal happy pills, i think you can suspend your historical disbelief for a few black people