Sign in to follow this  
Skuggington

Wellies too likable.

So, I got this game today and while on my adventures around Wellington Wells I noticed that whenever I take a Joy pill, all the people seem to become extremely nice. So nice, in fact, that I pretty much just forgot to do anything awful to them and I wanted to be one of them. Whenever I was filled with Joy, they would cheer me on and give me encouragement. I didn't want to hurt them, they were too nice to me. I understand the whole "You're a Downer, do Downer things and kill people" but, with all the niceness, I didn't want to be a Downer nor did I want to hurt people.

Does anyone else feel this way? I'd love to know and if someone could get me help, I would greatly appreciate it.

I haven't played a demo, but I've watched others, so here's my opinion:

Actually, the Wellies do come across as a teensy bit like "Designated Villains". The only thing that seems really evil about them is the fact that they have an irrational hatred of Downers. Their irrational hatred is partially justified by the fact that Downers do things rather unpleasant things like rob their homes and murder them in cold blood (of course, the wellies quite brought this on themselves). The Bobbies are probably evil, though.

Personally, I think there should be non-lethal options for dealing with them, such as having certain weaker weapons only KO them rather than kill them.

Also, I think it'd be an interesting plot point to see a few more sympathetic Wellies who, though on Joy themselves, don't have the typical hatred of Downers. It'd be an interesting occurrence to run into.

@Protagonist

Antagonists and enemies don't have to be evil though? I personally think the whole thing is a bit of a dubious hit, since they're on forced drugs; they're not exactly in their right mind and off of them, who knows, but they're probably lovely people. I imagine same for the Bobbies too?

'Evil' is a very subjective term and without story to proove, I don't think you could call any of them evil really. I mean, the protag is- as you said- robbing houses and murdering them in cold blood, that right there could be considered as 'evil' by the Wellies.

With the bobbies they might be more likely to be evil than the average wellie since they're the enforcers rather than civilians, though it's entirely possible that I'm wrong now that I think about it.

Though, to answer your question: While not all stories should have black and white morality, this feels a bit more accidental, if you will? I think we're supposed to root for the protagonist here and against the wellies. I think that, the inclusion of non-lethal combat of some sort would make so the player can be more justified when opposing them.

You can take them down stealthily, or just simply avoid them. It's totally possible to not kill anybody in the game, though it's obviously harder. Violence is often the easy way out...

But yes we intend to add more gadgets that will make the stealth and conformity approaches more interesting.

@djkid probably not, but I think you can craft an advanced electro-lock shocker that would do the job. We want to stick to the idea of being able to approach problems with different solutions, it may not be perfect right now but it will be :)