Sign in to follow this  
Epic

Procedural Generation -> No Story?

Hey folks,

I'm considering backing the game, it seems like a killer concept that I'm eager to enjoy; I just have one question before committing to it.

Since the world is procedurally generated, will there still be a cohesive story? I'm talkin' character buildup, plot twists, false endings, grand reveals... things of that nature.

Thanks for your consideration - hope to hear back soon!

Cheers,

Epic

My understanding is that there will, indeed, be a story. We're not getting to see much of it in the pre-Alpha for spoiler reasons, but it will be part of the full game. I'm really excited to see how the team manages to integrate an overarching narrative with the procedurally generated world and other roguelike aspects - my experience with roguelikes is limited, but I've never really seen that done (or at least done well) before.

Hey Epic, yes, we do. From our Kickstarter:

"In We Happy Few, you play as a Downer - someone off their happy pills. We have three Downers for you to unlock and play:

Our playable characters are not typical video game heroes - they are flawed and not particularly heroic, warped by the trauma their world has been through. They are haunted by terrible things they’ve done in the past, and they each have something they urgently need to accomplish.

Each one has a story to play through. Their stories all interweave, so by playing one character, you can unlock new ones. And, each character has his or her own strengths and weaknesses, which change how you play the game.

Our stories are definitely Not Appropriate For Children, unless your children are already reading Neil Gaiman novels, in which case, good on you. But don’t worry, it’s not all frowns and sadness! It’s also laced with dark humour, hope, and even a spot of redemption."

We've not released any further info on the story, and won't until we're close to the full release. But I can tell you that it'll certainly be something :)