Sign in to follow this  
StateOfBedlam

Game won't open

Starting yesterday, We Happy Few won't open. If I try to open it (by clicking on the desktop shortcut or by clicking "play" in the Steam client), the pointer animation indicates that it's doing something for one or two seconds and then nothing happens. A Steam window opens for a brief instant but it's too quick for me to hover over it and see what it is.

I don't think this was the result of any recent update. Yesterday I purchased fraps and tested it out on WHF. The resulting video couldn't be deleted. Many problems occurred between then and now as I tried to figure out a way to delete the test video. I don't remember most of the details. Problems such as Chrome and Opera not opening for a while.

Now everything seems to be resolved, except We Happy Few won't open and I can't figure out what the problem is or how to fix it. I've tried uninstalling it and reinstalling a few times but that doesn't fix the issue.

I would try not running Fraps and completely exit out of Steam. Then go to the games .EXE in the steamapps/common folder and run it as admin from there.

We did send out an update on August 10, which you might've received a bit late due to Steam updates sometimes staggering a bit. It was supposed to fix startup issues, though, not introduce them. I don't think FRAPS has anything to do with this... There's been a handful of similar reports of the game not even showing its splash screen, though I wonder if the problem lies with Steam or our game.

Before attempting to start the game, bring up the Task Manager (CTRL+SHIFT+ESC), go to the Processes tab and click on "Image Name" to sort the list by name. Scroll down around where G would be. Then try to start the game while keeping an eye on the task manager. If you see "GlimpseGame.exe" show up, then it's at least trying to start.

Regardless of whether the game shows up in the Task Manager, it might've generated a log file which could help us figure out what's going on. Follow the directives outlined in this thread to reach the logs folder. If you have a fresh log file (i.e.: with a creation time corresponding to when you tried to start the game), do send it along to support@compulsiongames.com and I'll see if we can glean anything useful from it.