Sign in to follow this  
AirRaid

Playthrough on the new update

I purposefully didn't play for a little while, then booted up the new update a few daays ago to give it a whirl with a fresh perspective.

I saved a recording of the whole thing, if you want to watch ~3 hours of gameplay. Quite a lot of that is me getting lost and confused though. There's 2 videos -

http://www.twitch.tv/aiziril/v/10490962 - 1st session (2h12min) (I think there might be a death toward the start, I forget if I recorded that part)

http://www.twitch.tv/aiziril/v/10539142 - 2nd session (49min)

Some feedback - The new stuff is good! I like the increased island size, it feels more sprawling and a but more adventurous when exploring. It also feels harder, which is nice. Combat with the average wastrel is harder, and having to find/craft the specific things to escape gives a nice structure.

I like the change to rotten foods, but I feel the health loss from food poisoning is far too harsh. I ate a thing to see how bad it was and it killed me in really short order.

Also, with the new island sizes, I resorted late on to trying to map out all the streets to find the fuses scenario because that was the only place left that I thoought I could get a multi-tool. And even with 99% of the Village mapped I still somehow missed it until really late on. This had unfortunate consequences. :P Also it makes running back and forth to the garden district a little bit of a chore if you want some clean water. I got a really nice roll on the Garden-Village bridge though, so that helped. That new Future-Joy-Bridge is a pain in the butt though. And I think the joy detector bugged the first time I went in, I had over 50% Joy but the siren went off anyway?

Love the new map widget, feels better and looks better.

The new suit crafting system feels better. I've definitely noticed an increase in sewing kit drops, and the different types of linen is a good touch. Having said that I tried the thick suit after a while of using a dark suit and instantly swapped back because it made everyone suspicious riught away. This kinda makes it useless because i doubt the protection is enough to hold off that many wellies.

I ran into several small bugs, most of which I can't remember now or have already been noted in previous threads.

One thing I have noticed, is that the female Wastrels will sometimes snap "Back off!" at you, and sometimes it can kind of sound like they're telling you to F off. While this is technically pretty accurate for annoyed english people I'm not sure that's the effect you were going for. ;)

Overall really good progress, looking forward to the future.

Thanks for the feedback! And thanks for putting your playthrough online, that'll be really helpful for us as a reference.

Rotten food: chances are this will change. We just added the debuff and the expiration so that it actually did something.

Island sizes: agreed. The island size will revert in a couple of updates, and we'll go back to more islands. This is a temporary thing for us to figure out some performance improvements, which will benefit low-mid end PCs (including Mac and Linux, once we get there) and consoles - basically the world is so big that it's taking a long time to generate. PCs with lower end CPU/GPUs take way too long to generate the world. The water system is changing - I'm a little surprised that people aren't using the water purification system, but that's good feedback.

Joy detector and joy booths both need more testing - they're not robust enough right now.

Padded suit: feedback noted, thanks. These are mostly tests to see what we and you guys find useful, and I think the padded suit is the least useful of the higher tier armours right now.

@Sam

The water system is changing - I'm a little surprised that people aren't using the water purification system, but that's good feedback.

I do use the purification system when I can, just, charcoal can be kinda scarce sometimes, and you need a bunch of it if you want to carry large bottles. And then if you decide you need to craft some bangers, there goes any charcoal you might find.

The purification system as is is pretty good, although the way it uses bottles is a bit weird (logic to me says you'd need a spare empty bottle, but maybe thats just too complex), and how it wont let you purify a bottle if your inventory is full (probably because it checks to see if there's room for the new bottle before it takes the old one out?)

Overall I found it easier to just run back to the garden district and use a pump to fill up. You tend to go through a lot of water if you need to keep taking joy then going through withdrawl to get over a bridge.

watching the first part of your playthrough right now - thanks so much for uploading it! i love seeing how other people play the game. i will admit, i was pulling my hair out a bit when you walked out of the butcher, looked dead at the pawn shop scenario, and then turned the other way :P i also got a chuckle when you found the first building-in-building glitch and shook the camera at it.

thanks again for uploading :)

eta: you actually had just crashed from using the psychotropic syringe and had zero joy in you before you went through the joy detector, that's why it went off. i think taking some while in the process of going through might have messed it up