Sign in to follow this  
Sam

PAX East 2015 - half way through

Hey everyone!

We'll post a full update on the blog once PAX is finished (and we're back after our inevitable run in with Canadian customs), but I wanted to give you a quick update on how PAX is going.

We're kind of blown away. Lines have been 2-3 deep, with four different lines, all day, erry day. We've had so many wonderful people come and play the game, say hello, and just ask "what the hell is this?", and the feedback has been really, really interesting. Sometimes really good - ideas about the game that we really like. Sometimes completely insane (see: "things people want to do with bodies"). Very little that has been bad - although we've got a really good idea about how to improve some of the current mechanics. We've had people come in and talk about how they loved Contrast (thank you guys!), others who are drawn in by the art, people who have seen the trailer, and people who have been asked by other people who are not attending PAX to come see us. To all of you, I say, THANK YOU!

In terms of "things people want to do with bodies", we have:

- throw bodies out the window (most popular feature request of PAX, I shit you not)

- throw bodies into the bath tub

- throw bodies onto the couch

- throw bodies

- create a body throwing catapult

- make it so throwing bodies hurts the Wellies

- throwing bodies should set off traps

- how can I kill everyone so that I can make a giant smiley face with people's bodies

I mean, I don't even know what to say about that. You people have some sick ideas, I love it.

Also, people love getting high on Joy. Did not expect that.

We're very pleased with the feedback, and, we have a bunch of new pre-alpha players to come join us in the coming weeks. We've had quite a few people figure out the hidden scenarios in the build, and we're looking forward to bringing them all on board.

AWESOMESAUCE. Thanks for reading, you magical people.

Sam the man

Sam the man indeed (he literally wrote this update in between 2 beers at the bar in Boston)

- create a body throwing catapult

- throwing bodies should set off traps

I love it. Now I wanna throw bodies everywhere too.

Anyone wanna take some joy and throw bodies with me?

Sounds fun, hopefully the game has good ragdoll physics.Will there be cars added? If so add throw bodies into the trunk/boot.

I was thinking a multipayer element might be fun, more specifically asynchronous multiplayer.Kind of a mash-up of Evolve and the hacking games in Watchdogs, one person would play the role of the downer and a group of people could try to hunt that person down who would try to act "normal" and blend in with the AI while given simple missions to do but would be a tell for the other players if seen doing them.

I don't know if I explained that very well just thought it could be fun.

@DrBeardface Wow what an intriguing idea, kind of like Assassin's Creed and how you can blend in to hide/assassinate. I never even thought of the game being Multiplayer but now that you bring it up I think it would really work to the games benefit. There's already two clearly defined sides and from that I can imagine a few different multiplayer game types: Destroy the Others, Don't Get Caught, Hack the System/Turn the Village...

Personally, I love games where I have to find things so I would even enjoy a lighter action/darker themed Scavenger Hunt for multi.

This reminds me a bit of a game called "Bloody Good Time," where the object of the game was to kill one of the other players, while avoiding the player who was trying to kill you, but you didn't know who that was, and would be punished for killing the player who wasn't your "assassin."

I would like to see a multi-player element emerge from We Happy Few. Maybe Downers vs Wellies, where Wellies have to subdue and force Joy into all the Downers before a set of specific tasks were completed. Wellies have to always keep their joy up otherwise they lose, maybe.