Sign in to follow this  
Vercci

Anyone playing on Windows 10?

Friend backed the game on Backerkit, was sent a code and then he keeps crashing when he tries to start a new game. He's on Windows 10, wanted to see if others got it running successfully.

I'm playing it on Windows 10. While I don't know about your friend's case, I very recently upgraded from Windows 7 and have a moderately powerful computer. It's working perfectly for me and seems to be running smoothly.

Here's video of it running on my computer: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=COXO8gH4y50

The game's current build is stable and does not lag. Any pauses in the video are because of me tabbing out of the game occasionally. Any lag or frame skips are due to the recording software, and/or YouTube's filtering.

(forgive the lack of audio, also I'm button happy.)

My only guess your friend may not meet the minimum requirements or is missing crucial files, but again, I don't know the situation. All I can confirm is the game runs fine on Windows 10.

@Vercci Yep, I pulled the trigger and updated my home workstation to Windows 10 over the weekend. I'm not having any issues running the game.

I'm looking into a handful of crash reports at the moment that would occur on startup, right before the main menu shows. If it's the same thing that's happening to your friend, basically the game is trying to detect the desktop resolution to pick the correct one from the list, but the resolution isn't in that list. That should basically be impossible, since the list is the same one that Windows itself uses. The only common thread I can see between the crashes is that they are on laptops... Is this the case here?

I'm putting in a failsafe that will instead pick the first resolution in the list if this occurs. The menu won't have the correct options set, and will behave badly (*sigh*) but at least it won't crash.

Edit: A hotfix was pushed with the aforementioned failsafe. See if it helps! If it still crashes, have your friend either submit the crash reports through the reporter or follow the directives outlined in this thread if the reporter isn't showing up.

Not sure what happened then, he has since performed a clean install of the operating system. He's able to play the game, and even found some motilene puddles, something I haven't seen at all.

So I can't tell you if the hotfix helped, or if whatever was broken was fixed with the clean install.

Possibly both! A clean install might've fixed whatever was causing the resolution issue in the first place, and if not, the hotfix should ensure that it doesn't cause a crash. In any event, glad to know it's working now!