Sign in to follow this  
Iris_Lockspur

New Patch, New Bugs

Hello there, WHF forums! I've done a few hours worth of adventuring in Wellington Wells since the latest patch and I am now going to compile a list of issues I seem to have found. I've even got some video clips of a few things.

> Butcher shops are haunted. Okay, they're not actually haunted, but there seems to be an issue with the Butcher Brothers that I've had occur twice now. In two runs I've started by taking out the brother on the top floor, so that in an emergency situation on the main floor I have a place to retreat to and hide. Seems fine, until I move into the main shop area to find that the second butcher is now ragdolled, lootable and able to be picked up and moved. But he is still sentient, and can even block the player from moving and even hit the alarm. He is otherwise harmless, but this poses an issue.

Video:

> Citizens of Wellington Wells have forgotten how doors work. I'm serious. Every house I have entered, a Wellie has always been standing with their nose to the front door, unmoving and silent. And on an upper floor another Wellie will be behind a random door, and won't move until the door has been opened. I have some images of this occurrence in a link towards the end of this post.

> This brings me to my next point, that due to NPCs no longer knowing how to operate doors, You simply have to run into a room, shut a door, and your pursuer will eventually give up the chase. I did some faffing about in a house by setting the alarm off numerous times to test this, and the results can be seen below.

Video:

> Another issue involves corpses. I've had some corpses appear standing up after loading into a saved game. They pose no threat, of course, but it can be a bit freaky waling into an already cleared house to find the bodies of your past victims standing up like statues. and Bobby corpses had a tendency to...explode a bit when loading in. An example of the Bobby is in the Imgur link below.

> Last bit is not so much a bug, but rather a tweak that needs to be made. Food poisoning damage needs to be tweaked a bit. One rotten mushroom in the Garden District sent me on a wild goose chase to find enough healthy plants to keep me alive. It took me down to a quarter of my full health, and that was after using some healing balm to keep from keeling over.

Imgur Link of Wellies: http://imgur.com/gallery/7S2kz/new

Overall I think the new update has added a lot of very nice things (that new bridge crossing into the Emerald City is stressful but fantastic), and starting to shape up for a game that's only been in pre-alpha for a couple of months. You might take a look at balancing out food loot tables, since going through three houses before finding even a piece of bread in some runs seems a bit unfair. Other than that, this is a solid update. Excited to see more narrative elements added in, as well as new events and scenarios to find in the world.

Looking forward to the next update. Cheers!

IrisLockspur

I've also came across the corpse bug and the haunted butcher shop. I also still see the building collisions that block me from going onto the second floor.

When I torment the wellies in their own home and they try to run out of the house they just stand there leaving me with an easy target.

You should tone down the number of bobbies on the street, the number is overkill right now.

Another annoying bug I came across, when I tried to continue where my old game left off. The game became buggy and when I tried to close it, it wouldn't close. I tried to kill it from the task manager the game stood over my other programs forcing me to kill it from the command line with task kill. You might want erase the old game in the update or give a warning to start a new game. I've noticed when the game becomes unstabilized this is the only way to kill the game without powering off since you can't use the task manager. I had to do this once before the last update when the game didn't want to start for me. I try to load in and it didn't load.

I had an old save that I checked to see if it would still work that just crashed to desktop after attempting to load. I didn't expect it to work anyway, so I didn't find it to be a huge issue. Most games like this you have to start fresh after a patch.

@Iris_Lockspur

If it was a simple crash to desktop, I would not have even brought it up. Trying to minimize the program would sometimes result it in flashing between white and the loading page. (Makes me appreciate not being prone to seizers.) Something destabelized and it would not stop running even when I clicked on close program at the bottom and I was not given the option to click on end program. I was unable to kill it from the task manager because the window stood over all other programs I had running (firefox, word, taskmanager, steam). This window issue meant I was unable to click on anything in the other programs, but typing in them still worked hence using the command line.

This happened once before when I first got the game and it would not load into the game. The point is when the program becomes unstable on my machine it is a pain to end the program.

@Iris_Lockspur

If it was a simple crash to desktop, I would not have even brought it up. Trying to minimize the program would sometimes result it in flashing between white and the loading page. (Makes me appreciate not being prone to seizers.) Something destabelized and it would not stop running even when I clicked on close program at the bottom and I was not given the option to click on end program. I was unable to kill it from the task manager because the window stood over all other programs I had running (firefox, word, taskmanager, steam). This window issue meant I was unable to click on anything in the other programs, but typing in them still worked hence using the command line.

This happened once before when I first got the game and it would not load into the game. The point is when the program becomes unstable on my machine it is a pain to end the program.

My apologies if I sounded dismissive of your issue. T'was not my intention in the slightest. But now that you describe it more in-detail, that does seem like quite the fickle issue there. I've had some pretty nasty crashes before, one that even locked my mouse in the corner of the screen and the only way to resolve it was to force-reset my entire computer, but nothing like that before. That sounds like something with your machine causing the problem and not so much the game.

The game also uses a large portion of RAM, so if you have other programs up while playing you could be stretching the limits of your memory which causes your computer to go into chaos. It did that for me the other day when trying to record some footage, but it was doing so in all games because I'd maxed out my memory and hadn't realised it.

Yeah, updates don't always break save games, which is why we don't delete them outright... But their versioning could be better, so that if we do introduce breaking changes, they get deleted beforehand. (Fun fact: For a brief period of time, there was a check for "corrupted" saves before the title screen which attempted to determine if a game was corrupted by running some checks on it which requires... loading it. I had to kill that check pretty quickly when I found out.)

Food poisoning doing damage is a temporary thing -- I wanted to remove it instead of changing it to this, since doing damage over time means it's basically just the same as bleeding. The actual design involves progressive incapacitation (puking your guts out!) if left untreated but until that functionality gets implemented, it's damage.

@CryptoMoon

This window issue meant I was unable to click on anything in the other programs, but typing in them still worked hence using the command line.

Unfortunately, that's always been a fundamental issue with games running in fullscreen mode on Windows. Under the hood, it's called "exclusive fullscreen" which, as the name says, reserves the use of the desktop for the game. It's also the source of the consistent crashes and issues from alt-tabbing out of games, something which has been thankfully massively improved since Windows Vista.

One way to work around this is to run the game instead in fullscreen windowed mode (aka "borderless window"). Barring that, I've had some luck jogging applications out of fullscreen by invoking the secure screen with CTRL+ALT+DEL.

Sorry for the double post, feel free to delete the duplicate post, mods.

@Camille

That is pretty informative, I didn't know the term for that before. That is most likely the problem, the ctrl-alt-delete trick didn't work with the "exclusive fullscreen" feature getting in the way once I try to bring up the task manager. I think with new patches I'm better off using Windowed mode until I know the game is going to be stable. It seems to be more of an issue when I try a new game and it hangs. My laptop specs

Asus ROG G751JL

Windows 8.1

NVIDIA GeForce GTX 965M 2GB GDDR5 Discrete Graphics.

Intel Core i7-4720HQ 2.6GHz (turbo to 3.6GHz). 16 GB RAM

For anyone else who may have this trouble this is what I did to get out of it. Open up the command prompt and type in Tasklist to show the list of processes running on your machine. What you want to look for is the process id of "Glimpse game." Once you know what the game's process id is use "taskkill /pid /f [process number] to get the game to close. The /pid tag designates to taskkill you are trying to kill a process by the id and the /f tells it to force the program to close. You may have alt-shift over to the command prompt a few times to see what you are doing.

https://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/Bb491009.aspx