Sign in to follow this  
MudLark

The unofficial WHF soundtrack thread

Lots of games have great soundtracks - be it GTA: Vice City's 1980s retro binge or Fallout 3's perpetual jukebox. With that in mind, what would a WHF mixtape consist of?

Well, we can ignore anything released from the mid 60s onwards as you're talking about a period of time where London was swinging, but heading in a different direction. (Also, the game is set in 1964.) Psychedelic rock, doom metal and hauntology are out of the window because they're channelling the 70s (though Scarfolk - the game raises intriguing possibilities). Secondly, the music needs to reflect the unease and retro futurism of the game, so anything too happy and poppy is verboten (hurh!) too. Anything which provides an ironic counterpoint to the game's content, however, is welcome.

With that in mind, here are my first three tracks:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7dRBseHcvwg

Oh, and:

Over to you...

I haven't made mine yet (I'm working on it) but I suggest putting together mixes on 8Tracks.com if you guys have the time.

You say too happy and poppy is forbidden, but the whole aesthetic of the Wellies and Wellington Wells is to be extremely too happy. It's a common trope that things that are too chirpy and perfect make for extremely creepy things. Not with WHF related lyrics, but imagine someone being battered to death with a rolling pin to Sandie Shaw's Puppet on a String.

@ Otherbuttons

Please don't get me wrong - I'm not saying pop songs per se are bad, but only the ones that are completely guileless and innocent and don't have anything creepy (or, indeed, too jolly) about them. (As Martin Gore of Depeche Mode once pointed out, you can get away with a hell of a lot more if you're writing pop songs.) By that yardstick, Puppet on a String would be an ideal addition to the mixtape- but it's disqualified as it came out after 1964.

Unlike these ostensibly benign little numbers:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AD-M_sWs-x8

Hey guys!

These songs are great! I'm so happy see some Delia Derbyshire in here. For me, aesthetics and design are more inspired by audio than anything else. That Electronsonik's song is really really interesting!! It's definitely the right combination of optimistic, futuristic and off-putting.

While I can't talk about our real soundtrack, I will give you some songs that I've used as personal inspiration for the visuals and atmosphere. I'm usually listening to something while I work to stay in the mood;)

--

For me, the sounds of dystopia in the sixties was in the soundtrack to Fahrenheit 451. Bernard Hermann was an amazing composer, and he did an amazing job on the soundtrack.

The intro sequence is amazing. Alex Scott's narration of the titles over the multcoloured TV aerials is uneasy and reassuring at the same time. Just like our Uncle Jack.

The ending music is great as well. The last two minutes of this:

And if you want to see the television of the future as seen from 1964...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QAFGUEUVweU

I guess I'll throw Tiny Tim in here. Seems fairly appropriate.

I've looked up several different guides but I can't figure out how to embed youtube videos, so here's a

I'm probably thinking more in terms of something Uncle Jack might play for us.

StateofBedlam : Oh, that's easy - Lots of Uncle Jack style BBC themes out there. :D

As a classic British person, I love all this stuff :)

Eric Coates : "Sound and Vision" - by far the best way to start your day in Wellington Wells!

Eric Coates : Knightsbridge March

Eric Coates : Calling all workers

Eric Coates : By the Sleepy Lagoon (Desert Island Discs theme)

BBC Sailing By Shipping Forecast theme

In The Party Mood - Housewives Choice

I was listening to this last night whilst I was laying the Bobbies out in a running fight with me and some Wastrel allies with the hammer pipe on the new build. (P.S Devs, great build..it's a real challenge now! WHF is getting better and better. Miss the larger 5-island area, but I guess you needed a demo for the press that didn't take minutes before it could be played!)

I love the Acker Bilk styled jazz version in the end credits. Second part of this one:

I tell you, it's great finding music to play to this. Although the 60s equivalent of the MP3 player would probably fill a backpack! :D

I know this thread is kind of dead, but I've been working on making an 8tracks mix for We Happy Few for a while, and I finally finished it, so I hope it's ok to post it here!

Playlist

Tracklist

I know some of the songs are from after 1964, but I was having a hard time finding enough songs from before 1964. Again, I hope this is ok to post!