Sign in to follow this  
Wilson

Found a female Wastrel curled up next to a lamp

She was out in a field, knees to her chin, beat up. Had the option to "Patch her up", which required a bandage and I was missing an essential element: alcohol.

So I search around town, opening drawers and killing Wastrels left and right. Finally I get some metal bits and run back to the woman because she was next to several locked crates. Pick the first lock, and I get a note. Second one, JACKPOT! I get alcohol, jerky, more metal bits, a rusty key, and a shovel.

So I craft a bandage and apply it. Then it gives the option to feed her, so I give her the jerky. She stands up and walks away, but she's walking toward a water pump so I follow and hope I can "Talk" to her. Nope. She gets water and went back to wandering around mumbling "Why did you take vanilla?" So I took her down.

Maybe if I had been more patient I could have learned some secrets about Welling Wells. If you have success, let me know, or let this serve as a warning not to waste precious food and resources.

You can either pick the boxes, only one of which has loot inside of them.

Or you can patch her up and feed her, and she gives you a key which can unlock all 5 boxes before breaking. It drops on the ground if you don't have the space after feeding her.

When I did it, I didn't get a key. Although, I don't remember if my inventory was full at the time or not. Anyways, when I picked them all I found was notes.

@Wilson Ahah good one. I never thought about helping the Wastrel AFTER the actual chest was looted. Something different could happen in that case, or actually, the Wastrel could be pissed about you lock picking all his/her chests after all... Didn't you feel just good just by helping? :P

@Vercci that's pretty much it! There's also a different outcome if you beat the Wastrel up.

@stewi001 There should always be one of the five chest with the loot in it, if you're lucky enough to open the right one (or all, but that's up to you).

@Vince , I adore the wastrel encounter (it may be my favorite in the game - I vastly prefer these to the combat encounters), but I have to ask, erm.... why's the wastrel need our items when she's sitting on top of chests which usually includes food and sometimes healing items and in possession of a key to open them?

If it's more a matter of having given up on life, maybe you could add a bit of dialogue...

I've only had this event spawn for me once.

Unfortunately it happened in the middle of the village. When I discovered it, three Bobbies were already beating them to death ):