Sign in to follow this  
SyAlmans

Canteens, Bottles, & Combustibles

I had some thoughts about these particular items. For the record I love the logical reusability (there is no earthly reason drinking water should cause the bottle to self-destruct, as with some games), so this is strictly a balance/usefulness issue.

1) Canteens are uncommon, which is theoretically good because they're used to make bangers . However, while they can be integral to how a less combat-savvy player like myself tempts bobbies away from key areas, bangers do not appear to yield much damage. This means the inventory space to usefulness ratio is on the low side. I'd suggest keep canteens rare, but make bangers more effective and allow canteens to store water in a pinch. (Right now you could make a drinking game out of every WHF Let's Play I've seen where the streamer stands at a pump trying to figure out How To Canteen.)

2) Large and small bottles take up the same number of inventory slots, making the latter functionally useless. Unless my brain is lying to me alcohol also yields a large bottle when used (good!). I'm sure you're going to adjust the scarcity on these items, but since alcohol bottles are reusable I wonder if it may not be a better idea to reassign it to a small bottle.

3) I would love the option to make a molotov cocktail out of alcohol and cloth. Because the items are more common it shouldn't deal nearly as much damage as an explosive like a banger, but it would be great to have an item that could act as a distraction in aid of the stealth aspect. Maybe it causes a small localized fire that attracts the attention of NPCs while it burns. It would also force the player to choose between crafting a one-off offensive item and a healing item with resuable bottle.

As do many, it seems.

(Also, tonight's playthrough indicates that apparently my brain was indeed lying to me and using alcohol does not yield an empty bottle, though this begs the question of why nothing is left behind...)

Another thing I have repeatedly done is try to make purified water when my inventory is full. The purified water is going to take up the joy water space, so why do I need an extra two slots open? I imagine it's a logic question, first the code checks for space, then it makes the thing but it's a little silly when the sum of the parts is smaller than the whole. It's not like water bottles stack (which is good for realism but painful for space. Where AM I carrying all of this in my suit anyway?)

Space is a global problem when crafting items -- right now the game insists you have enough open slots for the new item even if the ones you use to craft it should disappear. (Especially painful with the inventory-hog that is the various suits.)

FYI, drinking a bottle of Alcohol will give a large glass bottle, if you don't have two vertical spaces in your inventory, it drops at your feet. Making a bandage does not leave a empty bottle behind.

Okay, thanks Vercci -- I thought for sure it did, but I rarely have many free slots in my inventory and I'm pretty sure it got forced out of my UI.

Chiming in on the "Tried to fill a canteen with water" crowd. I think they should be usable for water, i cant think of a reason they wouldn't be, and it's one of those glaring silly things that sticks in your head.

Also on the inventory space purifying water issue, consider this - Where are you pouring the water to? You pour it out of the bottle it's in, through the cloth/charcoal combo into.... the bottle it's in? Technically you should be required to have a spare empty container to do this.

Haha, fair enough on the purified water part, @AirRaid (I don't usually bother, choosing to suckle from the tap or regularly run into Wastrelville for refills). That's more of a crafting recipe thing though, I think (bottle of water + empty bottle, you functionally get one empty bottle back). For me the suits remain the biggest embuggerance, however. Having to drop six slots worth of items for an empty space is a hassle.

Agreed - canteens seem like they to be fillable with water. They could be replaced with some other item which is less glaringly "sensible-people-would-put-water-in-this" but could still be used for bangers (maybe "Empty Pesticide Bottle"?).

Alternatively, they could be fillable with water, but reduce the availability of bottles - so that the player has to choose between using a canteen for a single-use weapon or for longer-term survival.

Alternatively alternatively, remove canteens entirely and make bangers craftable out of regular bottles. Same guns-or-butter choice as above.