Sign in to follow this  
Hidude

Wellington Wells Real?! - Theory

So I was walking along, fighting a few Wastrels, when one said "Remember November 5th" (Or something like that). So it made me wonder. Which led to my research. At first, I found a few Back to the Future references, and I thought "Huh, well maybe the devs just like Back to the Future" and stopped there. But I didn't like that answer, so I kept digging.

November 5: General Dwight Eisenhower opens the operational headquarters for the Allied invasion of North Africa on the British island of Gibraltar.

Now, that's more like it. A British island? Sounds familiar. So I did more research on this "Gibraltar".

November 20th, 1942: Air-raid practice on Gibraltar eeqD8UB.jpg

Later, I found that a film was made called "Gibraltar" was made about the place in 1964, which HAPPENS to be the year the game takes place.

I also found a documentary on "Operation Felix" which is a "Highly recommended documentary About Hitlers failing to capture Gibraltar". The trailer to this can be found here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3hwXPHh7uaM

Well, guys. All I got so far, if you find anything else please comment below. From what I found, I believe Wellington Wells is based off of Gibraltar, and the story could lead to it's history. It's all coming together ;)

• Like 1

I'm guessing the 5th of November refers to Guy Fawkes Night. The celebration is based on a failed plot to assassinate King James I (Guy Fawkes being the guy they caught with a bunch of explosives under the House of Lords).

Interestingly, it looks like tradition that kids used to build and display the effigies of Guy Fawkes that were later burned - part of a celebratory event with bonfires and fireworks. So it's got the family/community significance on top of the political resonance as a foiled usurpation of the (Protestant) sovereign of England.

@SyAlmans Yeah, I guess that could be. But the thing is, it's kind of a holiday. Why would the wastrels even bother with that, considering they've basically gone mad, and their whole town was bombed. How would King James relate to the story, and what's going on? I think the link to the Germans really gives this one out. But still, It could even be the Back to the Future reference for all we know.

I didn't realize this about Gibraltar. Thanks for looking beyond "Always remember the fifth of November" phrase. I had assumed it was a Guy Fawkes reference, too, because it's so well known in Britain. Interesting!

My first visit to London, by happenstance, was on Guy Fawkes night and my hotel window overlooked a park where an effigy was up, and, of course, fireworks were lit off.

The direct WWII link to Nov. 5 is really intriguing, and I am curious, too, if the story team was influenced by it!

I assumed the Wastrel fellow to be shouting about fighting off (and wasn't Guy Fawkes executed?) the would-be intentions to overturn the regime, since it's his battle cry, so the context made sense to Guy Fawkes Day.

Maybe it's both! :)

Remember, remember the 5th of November,

The Gun Powder Treason and plot.

I see no reason Gun Powder Treason

should ever be forgot.

That's interesting -- the Guy Fawkes reference is well known, and I could see Wastrels as "down with the government" types. It's not like they're treated very well.

But Nov 5th in WW2, then, is when Eisenhower arrived. The Americans.

That's interesting because I don't think I've seen any other references to Americans in WW2 in We Happy Few. It's not clear if they were even involved. So if it's a reference to that, there's more story coming about it.

What @Ghretto quoted. Everyone in England knows the Guy Fawkes poem, so if a Wastrel is using it as a metaphor for some sort of 'overturn the government' plot, or something of the sort I wouldn't be surprised. Perhaps something big in the plot went down then? It could just be references.

However this is all super cool. Not even I knew about the Gibraltar thing- I mean, other than the fact that Gibraltar is a magical English-but-not-England land that spits citizens into England occasionally- but we learnt about WW2 as one of the two subjects (seriously, all we ever learnt about was WW2 and Jack the Ripper) and I'd never heard of it. Then again British history lessons really like to focus on Hitler.

The more you know! I hope it does turn out to be more, I love intricate real-life related history things.

This may be a reach, but Guy Fawkes is also known for the mask he wears. It's a mask with a forever smile. Sounds familiar to me!

I never knew about the whole "Guy Fawkes" thing. That most likely is it, but the date back to Gibraltar is interesting. I'm just surprised I didn't see the Guy Fawkes on google when "November 5th" is searched.

I spent several hours last night watching a documentary entitled "Hitler's Britain" which depicts a "what if" based on the strategy war notes if the Germans, and also some factual programs explaining the unoppsed (nothing could have stopped it) occupation of a couple southern villages. The Germans had a strategy of charming the populous over (initially to have least resistance), and purchased goods as anyone else would have. The narrator went on to comment that stock would soon run very short and eventually out. The Germans were ruthless from the outset in Poland, more charming in France.

WWII was not covered heavily when I was in grammar and high school in the 70s and 80s, and I learned quite a lot from these documentaries. I had not realized just how quickly the Nazis had moved, and very unprepared Europe was to handle the onslaught, as would be the US. So much good luck gave the Allies precious time, from bad weather to a lucky depth charge drop in US waters, to gain the upper hand.

The RAF held out barely long enough; a surrender had been broadcast, but thanks to the RAF keeping presence enough to disrupt the Nazi's air space dominance, and risky waters of the channel, the surrender to begin at midnight never took effect. The Germans couldn't safely cross with their war machines due to very choppy water, and instead diverted their efforts to the Americas.

The Enigma code was cracked by a Brit, and this was huge! Supply ships could intercept German plans. The Germans caught on the code gad been deciphered, and adapted, but the Allies captured another vessel and was able to again crack the Enigma code. The US was able to advance their planes to be able to fly into the dead zone, and the milk cows of gas and torpedo supplies to German U boats was negated.

Had the Royal Air Force not held that one last day, and the weather had not turned stormy, this world would indeed be so very different. Enigma likely would not have been decoded in time, and that was a huge factor.

The British had about 3500-5000 secret auxiliary forces, comprised of select citizens across Britain, whose purpose would have been to slow, by distraction and nuisances, the occupying forces. They were told they could expect to live for about 2 weeks once they 'activated'. It had to be terrifying.

In the occupied villages, Bobbies acted as chauffers/drivers and generally were told by the Nazis that by keeping the people calm and unopposing, that they were helping to protect their citizens. Resistance was punishable by immediate death.

In the known strategy guides for Germany's domination of the British people, controlling the police force was critical, and the occupied village proved just how simply that could be done.

It was a really interesting night of YouTube watching! It really hit home for me just how close the Axis came toward their goal.

Despite Ambassador Kennedy's blunt and urgent reports that Britain was in no way prepared, and would be overtaken, it amazes me how very unresponsive the US was (until we got attacked, of course). I have a new appreciation for united international fronts against such world domination attempts, now, as well.

Well, that was quite the ramble! Sorry! If you didn't make it this far, I don't blame ya! #coffeeshopramblings

@guyfawkes

Oh my gosh Mr Fawkes I'm your BIGGEST fan! I love the part where you send the tube train carriage with the bomb and- wait no.

I swear to god I laughed too much at the account and the pun. Who IS Guy Fawkes?!

Wellington wells is supposed to be "Located in the southwest of England", according to the kickstarter info. Which makes sense since Wellington and Wells are a town and city respectively in Somerset in SW England. Less than an hour down the road from me. :)

Interesting stuff about Gibraltar though.

@airraid Southwest hype. ♥ (i say that but it's not like there's much here to be hype about. ;) )

I was wondering if it was meant to be set in Wells itself, but Wells is quite small isn't it? I've never been there but having had a friend who lived there, he told me it wasn't the biggest of places. And I figured it was one of those towns that had the tiny villages in it and it becomes a subset of the area through the years and towns joining up.

Wells is actually a city, so defined because it has it's own cathedral. It's easily the smallest city in England though, and yeah its pretty small in general - you'd think it was a medium sized town if there weren't signs everywhere calling it "The cathedral city of Wells" :P It's a nice place though.

Fun fact: the majority of Hot Fuzz was filmed in Wells, and that was supposed to be set in a small village.