Ever since the last update, my game has been crashing A LOT. It's really hard to say what might be triggering the crashes because it can literally happen any time; it's not consistent. Currently I am working on Sally's "Ex Cathedra" quest and am trying to catch butterflies in the train station. The crashes are making the game almost unplayable - they happen frequently, the game takes FOREVER to reload, and then I've lost butterflies that I just caught so I have to do it all over again.

I'm on build 1.572492 and when the crashes happen the screen freezes, I hear a brief sound like something is stuck, and then it kicks back to the Xbox home screen. Any input is appreciated.

Hi there,

I'm sorry to hear that you are encountering this issue.

Are you encountering crashes on a new game or a game that you have continued from a previous save?

Also, are you using a first generation Xbox One, Xbox One S, or Xbox One X 

We are currently looking into this issue and any extra information would be useful.

Thank you,

- Stephanie

Hi,

This is the only playthrough I have - I started it at the beginning and now I'm roughly halfway through Act II/Sally.  Sometimes it crashes within 1 - 2 minutes of continuing my game (I always select "Continue Game"), sometimes it will let me play for 5 or 10 minutes and then crash. I wish there were an identifiable pattern to it but so far there is not. There's no warning, either... just 1 - 3 seconds of freezing with choppy audio, then being kicked out to the home screen. This happened a handful of times before the 1.5 update; since the update I almost can't continue the game. The last 2 times I've tried playing I wound up quitting in frustration after getting booted out 4 times in a row (and re-catching the same 3 butterflies every time). It's definitely worse now that I'm in the train station catching butterflies, though. It hasn't been this bad in other locations.

I'm playing on an Xbox One S running OS version 10.0.17763.2023. I'll happily provide any other information that might be useful. Thanks for your help.

Actually, are you in the middle of a particular quest by chance?

Also, which quests do you currently have active and which island are you on?

Thanks,

- Stephanie

Yep, like I mentioned I'm working on Sally's "Ex Cathedra" quest - catching butterflies in the train station. Other quests that are currently open: Home Cooking, Peachy's Final Mission, What Have We Buried. I also have 15 completed quests. I am currently in Lud's Holm in the train station and unable to leave until I catch all 10 butterflies (I have 8). Since it's so dark in here I almost always have a torch in use, but I haven't found any relationship between the crashes and using a torch. 

I just submitted a ticket to Gearbox as well. Let me know if you have other questions. Thanks.

• Thanks 1

I just got all 10 butterflies and am about to leave the train station. I've been playing for about 15 minutes so far with no crashes. Now let's see if the crashing stops or improves once I leave this building!

• Thanks 1

Ok, progress, but not without a minor issue. I finished Ex Cathedra and quickly made my way through Home Cooking. I answered my door and the cut scene with the Bobby played, and then the game just kind of froze. It didn't kick me out this time, though. No weird audio or anything, either, it just sat there, frozen, for about a minute or 90 seconds. Then it proceeded with the cut scene in the police building and moved on to the Sally memory flashback and officially completed Home Cooking and started Connect the Dots.

I haven't had another crash since I left the train station (knock on wood) so perhaps the issue is in that location or specific to the Ex Cathedra quest.

• Thanks 1

I heard back from Gearbox. Without asking any questions or for any other information, they told me to uninstall WHF and reinstall it. As I'm not really fond of having my game saves deleted, I'm not going to do that (and I told them that). :) As I continue Sally's story, I'll update here if the crashes continue now that I'm out of the train station. Yesterday's play went well so that's encouraging. That was the first time in several playing sessions that it didn't crash at all.

• Confused 1

Great news! I would hold off on uninstalling for now if your crashes are no longer occurring.

Also, thank you for the additional information, we will take a closer look into this issue.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1