Sign in to follow this  
EyeofOnyx

Appearances, appearances...

I've been a bit hesitant to ask about this because in other communities I've seen people attacked for being the "PC police" and whatnot for asking similar questions, but here goes...

I had a friend over the other day and I enthusiastically showed him We Happy Few. After about 20 minutes of playing he looked at me and asked, "Is there anyone in this game who isn't white?" Honestly, it hadn't crossed my mind until he mentioned it. I told him I didn't think there was, and he said he was just curious, not trying to criticise. But nonetheless, I suppose the question is: are there any plans to add characters to the game, whether wastrels, wellies, or other NPCs, who aren't white?

Haha. I asked that question a bit ago, and with the same trepidation. The answer Sam gave was:

"Yep, we're planning on having skin colour variation in the game, to line up with the very low population diversity historically in southwest England in the 40s. There are lore factors to consider, but we're not talking about them (it's part of the narrative). We also don't have the budget to do more than skin variation."

So yeah -- while the game won't be terribly diverse it's for budget/lore reasons, which is a better excuse than most AAA studios have.

No worries, I'm pleased to see other people were wondering as well. Like you, I was actively afraid the topic might start a fight. Fortunately this particular forum and dev team seem pretty chill. :)

"very low population diversity historically in southwest England in the 40s"

There's still low-population with race diversity in some places of the South-West- like, I grew up in a little South-West town and I didn't see a non-white person until I was 14. And then it was only an exchange program. It was a massive culture-shock when I went to London for the first time at 14, lemme tell you. In small villages and towns it's legitimately still really damn white, even in the 2010s. It gets horribly casually racist too, even to our neighbours like the Scots, Irish, Welsh and even some other English folk.

But that's not an excuse, because the cities have a lot of diversity and all-inclusiveness is good; I had noticed this myself and I'm happy that it's being changed in the future. ♥ I was wondering the reasoning behind it.

Historically, there may not have been much population diversity...but then add in an (apparently temporary) Nazi occupation, leading to a drug-addled culture obsessed with stamping out non-conformity, and I could see WHF's world as having even fewer non-whites than its real-world time/geographic analog. ...at least, among the Wellies. If there's an organized resistance of any sort, non-whites might be more present there...

It may not be determined yet for mechanics reasons, but I think it bears asking - given the numerous waterways (and apparent sea exposure) that Wellington Wells has, is it - or would it have been - a port town? I ask because, based on my very-rough search, before WWII, England had a fair number of South Asian/Indian immigrants in port towns/cities (via the East India Company), compared to the rest of England. (After WWII, it looks like the population got more diverse overall, due to post-war labour shortages - but this game's history diverged before that, so who knows.)

@HaloInverse

Due to the geography of the South-West, we have a lot more towns & cities close to the sea, and I believe there were more port towns because of that? I'm just going by what my grandparents told me however, not actual fact.

But if so, that gives it more chance of being such. Especially with the fact it's surrounded by water, I assumed perhaps it was little plots of land just off of one of the coasts.

Well, if you lived there - and your grandparents lived there - and still witnessed relatively few non-whites, that certainly trumps what Wikipedia had led me to believe. :) At the very least, there were clearly largish areas that hardly saw any visible minorities until (our world) post-WWII.