Sign in to follow this  
ericbomb

Speed running!

Yes folks that time already, upon looking at a beautiful piece of art that is We Happy Few I said "I wonder how fast I can get this over with." And that time was? About one day for me!

http://tinypic.com/r/64o420/8

I got to the escape door with the option to unlock it by 9:20 am day 2.

Some thoughts on how to make the game more difficult without changing up too many things

1. Remove the hammer pipe from the Butchers shop. It's way too easy to get and makes fighting bobbies a joke.

2. Make the Scenarios harder to do. They offer the Key, a good weapon, and enough supplies to last the rest of the game. Make them not easy! The butchers shop you need to kill just one lowly Wellie, and the pawn shop is even easier.

3. If you just run away and turn lots of corners you'll lose all pursuit in about 10 seconds. I bolted right through every check point, sure I had 4 bobbies on me, but after making two turns into alleys while running I lost them. Make it so that the bobbies have a chance to catch you, right now they lose aggro before you run out of stamina it seems.

4. Make it so that it takes a minute to apply healing, I assume this is planned, but right now with an inventory full of meds (that I got from the scenario) you won't die. With a few med kits (3) and a hammer pipe, I had no issue killing he bobbies. So yeah, make it so it takes a second to apply.

5. More stuff like the happy bridges! This one was my second attempt at speed running, my first one got wrecked by od'ing in a joy bridge. Making us have to sprint past a few Bobbies isn't much of a challenge.

6. Alcohol should have Joy in it. I lived off it and victory meat during the speed runs, because I picked up enough alcohol from garbage cans and victory meat just restores a lot of food.

7. Entrance into the city should have a real check point more often.

Things that did slow me down

1. The joy bridge.

2. In the speed run I'm posting about the Scenario (the butcher shop) wasn't connected to the City, I had to back track through the waste to get to the City, which meant two more check points to get by. So that was good.

3. Since I left the waste without doing anything I didn't have the needed mechanical parts to make the electro lock shocker, and it took me about 3 minutes to find a bobby by themselves that I could brain with my Hammer Pipe to get the key card. I personally think it'd be a good idea to need an electro shock zapper AND a key card. That would have slowed me down considerably.

Anyway I could have done quite a bit better, not only did I mess up dealing with the bobbies guarding the exit (I kept getting stuck on invisible walls while trying to drop aggro of a few) and I didn't get super lucky with placement, but I think two attempts are good for one day.

In total for this speed run I robbed only 1 house (the butchers house) and killed 3 people (the Butcher and 2 bobbies at the escape hatch entrance) and I don't think I crafted anything since I got the key card.

So what do you guys think? Anyone beat my time? And anyone else have ideas on how to make the game take a bit more chewing without making it grindy?

1 For some people who have a terrible lag when playing the game, combat is considerably difficult

An option to make it harder? sure, why not

Force everyone to play harder? not, harder combat should be an option, not mandatory

2 I think the same, more or less, thats the reason i dont go into the butcher shop, but i think its a really good idea to keep it like it is, because some people may want to use it, i dont wan to, so i dont use it, but having the choice its always nice removing something that you dont have to use if you dont want to its always a bad idea, i think, except in hard mode, of course.

3 Bobbys shouldnt lost you in a straight line, true, i agree with you, but turning a lot of corners quicky out of their visual range should make them lost you, after all, its also what happens in the real world, with the real people

6 alcohol is strong and can act as a dissolvent, maybe joy is destroyed or dissolved when put in alcohol.

thats what i think, if i didnt say anything about a point, its because i think like you

Now, could you please comment on my suggestions?

http://compulsiongames.com/forum/discussion/618/fist-impressions-questions-i-want-to-ask-suggestions-i-want-to-make#latest

Hmm fair enough, but I'm just always a stickler about the whole "self regulating" thing when it comes to unbalanced items. If they don't fit in with the rest of the game they shouldn't be there.

Oh and I tried speed running again and got an even better time (had better luck)

http://tinypic.com/r/14e42kn/8

Day 1, 11:05 PM

Only one note here,

If the check point requires an elctro shock zapper or key card, the bobbies on the other side shouldn't open the door if they see you're a downer. In this run through I just went up and punched the bobby on my side, the bobbies on the other side opened the door to get me, and I ran right past them.

So yeah bobbies shouldn't open doors for you that are suppose to be part of a challenge.

Managed to win this run through without killing anyone, having to use any healing items, eating, drinking, ect. I basically just ran straight to the Scenario, grabbed what I needed, ran through the next check point (after tricking bobbies to open it) jumped into a hide out to make a lock shocker, and then I punched the two guarding bobbies and ran around the block back tot he hatch and opened it.

I do wonder what their plan is to extend the time it takes to win. I'm guessing more things you have to collect to get through, but can't know for sure atm.

As far as I am concerned, it's fine if you can speedrun it that fast. Here's me a week in (game time), still exploring, lol