Sign in to follow this  
SirSims

Memory usage

Yes, i have 4GB of ram and the game takes 3.5 and goes terribly laggy, even with everything on low

How can this game on low need more resources than skyrim in high?

I dont have any knowledge of programation, but it doesnt make sense for me.......

@pants, @sirsims - Thanks for bringing this to our attention. The game is quite memory hungry right now, but the numbers should never climb over 4gb. Is this both happening when loading a save-game only? We'll put it on the high-priority investigation list if that's the case.

Guillaume.

@Rorgfist - the main reason the game is memory hungry at the moment is that it is entirely generated from scratch, and that certain structures (the navigation mesh AIs use to find their way around the world, for example) need to be in a format that we can generate in real-time. We'll likely look at the memory footprint over the next few weeks and see if we can reduce the load.

Guillaume.

@Guillaume

After starting a new game I noticed that it would stay in the 3.2 - 3.6gb range normally.

However its only when trying to continue a game for more than 30 secpnds that I've witnessed the game exceed 4gb and reach up to 6/7.

In the middle of typing this, it successfully loaded a save after 5 or so minutes. Unfortunately it is still taking up close to 7gb of ram and is in an unplayable state (it's really laggy).

If there's anything else you'd like to know, please let me know (:

I've seen that the game runs with 3.6 or 3.7GB of RAM for me. I haven't tested if that number is higher when loading a save, but so far after the 6.1 and 6.2 patch it's been fairly smooth around 20fps.

I'm running with 16GB of RAM though, so that might be part of that.

@Rorgfist

The game is also on the UnrealEngine 4, so it's going to have more memory requirements and features than Skyrim would have. It looks beautiful already, but the cost is high system resource allotment.

@Scot_G_Russian, @Rorgfist -

We looked into RAM a bit today. There was indeed a leak on savegames, which we have fixed in 6.2. There's also a leak between games (so if you quit to the menu, it's better to quit the game before launching a new game). We'll likely fix that before the next patch. Finally - running in High or Ultra quality does consume more RAM (4.2-4.4 gigs versus 3.2-3.6 gigs in low resolution).

We'll play on tweaking the values of our different buffers to see if we can get the RAM footprint down in the next build update.

Guillaume.