Sign in to follow this  
HaloInverse

Initial Feedback

- Is there, or are there plans to have, a "sticky" topic in this forum for bugs/issues/enhancements the dev team is already aware of? Or some sort of bug-tracker repository, like GitHub's? Such a thing could help with reducing duplicate bug reports as more eyeballs come into play (provided that alpha/beta testers read it before posting).

- The graffiti on the walls in the Garden district looks nice, until you get too close to it. Crouching next to some graffiti (so that your hands are visible) causes it to "project" off the walls and onto your hands, to a limited distance (about 2/3 the width of the player's hand, or so).

- Load times. Oy vey. Brutal. The patch notes mention that generating the world takes a little while - but so does loading a saved game...AND returning to the main menu after death takes about four minutes on my system (which is not uber133T, but still mid-range for 2015 tech). That's the worst part about dying - not having to start over, but having my entire system paralyzed for so long while a menu loads that would allow me to quit the game.

-- Until load times can be reduced (maybe only load assets for the area the player is in, and load more as needed?), maybe add a "Press any key/button to continue" prompt at the end of loading, so that you can SAFELY go and make a cup of tea (as the patch notes suggest) and not have to guess when the game will finish loading and immediately start running.

- I'm getting about 10 FPS on average on "Medium" quality on a GeForce GTX 970. "Low" quality is a bit better, but causes many textures and shadows to flicker and shimmer at a "glad-I'm-not-epileptic" level. The frame rate is quite variable, but seems to get much choppier when sitting in the underground bunker, turning around too quickly on the surface, or encountering/fighting Wastrels. Given how well my system performs on most games I've tried it on, this seems like it needs improvement.

- On the subject of fighting, in a few instances where the frame-rate lag didn't kill me, I was able to punch 2-3 Wastrels at once, repeatedly. As in, I'd punch once, and the single punch would connect with every sufficiently close Wastrel in a fairly wide forward arc (seemed like about the size of my FOV). If the FPS wasn't a problem, most group fights would have been trivial - I just backed off until they all clumped up, then punched them all at once. I'd suggest making punches only connect with whatever single target is closest to the crosshairs, and save that sort of sweeping multi-strike for larger, heavier weapons. As well, I think NPCs could do with a little more aggressive "flanking" behaviour - if the player is aiming at one NPC, the others should at least try to get around the sides/back of the player before charging in - which should make group combat peril-fraught for reasons OTHER than rendering engine issues. :)

- Conversely, if a Wastrel attacked me from the side or behind, it was difficult to tell which direction the attack was coming from. Many games address this by having the "attacked side" flash red or some such - but that seems like it would be stiff and un-immersive in this context. Maybe you could have the player/camera stagger/tilt sideways or stumble forwards/down when attacked from the side/rear, to more organically indicate what direction the blow came from?

1. I agree, this would be a good topic to have on these forums to keep organized.

2. That seems to be a problem with a lot of ground and wall decals right now, especially in the Garden District. Textures will also project onto anything you drop onto leaves or a flag. Many posters on the garden district buildings have the issue too.

3-6. What are your other system specs? I have that same GPU and run about 30-45FPS on High, with 30-45 seconds to load a game. Though I do like the idea of a "press any key to continue" prompt after the loading screen for people who want to get a drink or something while they load.

7. The fists do seem way too powerful at the moment. I've been able to kill Bobbies with just my fists and a decent amount of time. IMO their attack speed and cone of attack should be reduced. Possibly also reduce the stagger chance; the main reason they're so lethal is the ability to stunlock enemies for as long as your stamina bar lasts

8. My speakers are pretty good, so I've been able to tell just by sound where attacks are coming from, but a feature like this would definitely be helpful, especially in combat with multiple enemies.

I've had quite a few issues with lighting. If it is dark, then it is nigh on impossible to see anything except objects, which are too light. Occasionally I can't see anything and I only know something is there because the white interaction outline appears.

I don't know whether this is a problem on the higher graphics settings but mine is on low. This is odd because, while my laptop isn't super recent, it still has more than enough specs to run the game according to their recommended specs and it runs other high graphics games just fine at higher settings. I agree with the load time comment too. If I put the settings any higher, the lag is impossible to deal with.

My load times and terrible framerate turned out to be due to only having 4GB of RAM installed. According to WHF's system requirements, I shouldn't have been able to load or run it at all. I was pretty much constantly churning swapfile. I have 8GB installed now, and it runs much nicer.

With the latest build, the fighting mechanics and AI seem a bit better. While I still get the occasional multi-hit, the Wellies seem less likely to bunch up directly in front of me than they used to, unless they're lined up in a hallway - at which point, I have to watch that I don't accidentally hit walls/furniture/etc. while attacking, as it seems to be murderously bad for my stamina/weapons. It's still not Zeno Clash, but it's better first-person melee than it was.