Sign in to follow this  
GBH

First Impressions Feedback (Very Wordy)

@AirRaid Haha, you know, you're right? They do say "When the Germans invaded". I don't think I saw the Kickstarter vid more than once (it wasn't what made me back it) so that obvious truth fell RIGHT off the radar.

Hahah, I explained some of the game's premise to my husband and he immediately went full-on War History Nerd and started outlining various battles and events which if handled differently by the Germans might have led to a successful invasion of Britain via France, most of them seeming to center around Scapa Flow and the destruction of the RAF. I guess the main thing is that Britain's navy would have needed to have been crippled in some way, and that Hitler must have chosen to largely ignore Russia in favour of attacking the Western powers instead. So presumably once they'd secured Britain the German imperialist onslaught must have swung round to focus on the USSR.

Kind of still doesn't explain the Churchill-sounding Piper or how he could have gotten rid of the rats. Honestly I think I've just ended up far more confused than I was when I started.

@GBH Since AirRaid helpfully reminded us of the

, I was looking at it again and there seems to be an interesting conversation between Glasses Bloke and Ginger Army Man.

"You came back from the station...the only one. ...The Germans aren't animals, you know. They just wanted to make sure we stayed quiet. And we did."

So if nothing else, I'm guessing Glasses is the equivalent of the lame child who couldn't follow the rest.

As for the deal, it sounds as if surrendering the children was meant to be a form of leverage to ensure the citizens didn't make trouble. The deal may have been brokered by Churchill or his equivalent to have the Nazis withdraw from the country (which would have taxed the citizens' resources and possibly resulted in various abuses, as the story indicates).

The thing I'm sticking on is what "bad thing" the Wellies could have done. Surrendering the children to keep the town safe is pretty cold, but it feels like something more. The element of trying to cheat the piper seems important. To go way out on a limb here, I almost wonder if they didn't try to offer other peoples' children in lieu of their own -- orphans and other undesirables, children who may have been sent out of London due to the Blitz (like the premise to the Chronicles of Narnia). Maybe even by killing their neighbors and passing off their kids as their own while hiding their own children. The bunkers you start in look to be maintenance tunnels, but maybe they served another purpose once. Especially since there are often several mattresses. If this was the case, it looks like they were found out -- and that their children were taken anyway.

I'll grant you that this is pretty wild speculation, but stealing someone else's children is the only explanation I could think of that would be classified as "horrible" rather than "citizens resisting invaders". I'm sure we'll get more clues as the lore is added, but for now it's fun to speculate.

(Incidentally, there's a nice collection of various Pied Piper stories here.)