Sign in to follow this  
octo

my thoughts on the new update (repost from reddit)

like the title says, I originally posted this on the WHF sub buuuuuuut it occurred to me that this would be the more appropriate place for this. sorry if anyone ends up seeing it twice.

just wanted to share some first impressions after ~10 hours playing with the life in technicolor update

Quests

• As always, the encounters were fantastic and I am really enjoying the larger scale of the encounters we’ve seen over the last few updates

• I died of thirst a couple times in “The Big Stink” underground encounter because I didn’t think it would be such a lengthy encounter and I didn’t bring enough canteens. A tooltip to the effect of “I might be stuck under there for a long time…” or something like that would have been appreciated

• I have mixed feelings about the ability to turn down the butcher’s quest permanently. I had invested about 10 hours into playing through the update (lost one save to a crashing bug) and FINALLY got to this quest, accidently turned it down, and was unable to reaccept it. So I actually haven’t played this one yet! I’ve heard it’s fantastic and I’m sure it will be worth the wait, but I was really salty for a little bit there. It would be nice if you could take the butcher up on his offer at a later date or something

• The “HAWORTH LAB TOP SECRET- redacted until 1.0” thing was the most a game has ever teased me in my entire life :)

• Overall, all the quests seem a lot more stable and less buggy than before. In the previous build of the game, there were several quests that if I didn’t do an exact, specific way, it would ruin the quest forever and I haven’t encountered that yet (expect for the butcher’s quest, which is obviously intentional)

• The cub reporter quest is my new favorite quest in gam

• I don’t get a dick the naughty duck for completing the “everybody must get stoned” quest anymore, and that makes me sad

• Speaking of “everybody must get stoned”, nobody comes to fight me once the guy rings the bell anymore, which I think is a bug?

• where the fuck is the rubber ducky in the campfire quest?!

The inventory stuff

• Weight-based is much easier to manage. In my entire play through, the only time I ever ran into a inventory issue was when I accidently picked up 15 lead pipes from the underground quest

• The way that the inventory is sorted is awkward to me. I love all the tabs (like a clothes tab, weapon tap, etc.) but a bunch of shit seems to be sorted in the health inventory section when it isn’t health related. It’s annoying when I really need a band-aid and am sorting through screws and metal bits and shit

• I dislike that I can’t change the healing item in the top quickslot. It seems to always equip the lowest quality healing item. My old strategy was to have the most powerful healing item in a quickslot so I could heal to 100% in an emergency but the game doesn’t let me do that anymore unless I don’t have any shitty healing items in my inventory at all

• Although inventory expansion kits don’t feel as necessary anymore, they’re still really hard to find. I know of a couple that I can snag every time I play but for new players this might be kind of discouraging

The UI

• The new hallucinagic mushroom visuals are fantastic

• I really, really don’t like the new way quests are organized in the “secondary quests” part of the journal. Before, all the uncompleted quests are on top, and completed quests were moved to the bottom. Now, it lists the quests by location, and I end up scrolling through a bunch of random quests ive already completed to try and find the one I just got 30 seconds ago, which is annoying

• The in-game tips REALLY left me with the impression that taking joy in the garden district is a good way to reduce downer suspicion, which did not turn out to be the case.

as a final note, while this build is easily the best build I've played of WHF so far, it seems to be the most unstable. I rarely crashed before this and now I lost one save to some bug where it crashes every five minutes without fail, and my other save works but crashes pretty consistently about once per hour. I've heard that a hot fix is coming for this so hopefully that fixes the problem :)

ill play more as soon as the hot fix comes out and will share more thoughts then. I would love to hear anyone elses thoughts :)

Thanks for the feedback, I've shared your post with the team.

Cheers,

Lee