Sign in to follow this  
SoulFuric

Does Future UE4 Updates effect Current Work in We Happy Few?

I have never tried to update my Projects in UE4. So i don't know how updating the Engine would effect We Happy Few and Unreal's 4.16 update has a lot of Lighting effects i would love to see utilized in We Happy Few. Does anyone know how this works? Volumetric Lighting does not make a good game by any means but i think it could be a nice touch rather than using "Sunshafts" Built into the Directional light.

A Side Question

Can the current Unreal Engine Update even do Day/Night Cycles or does it HAVE to be baked into the map in a static manner?

We are currently working with Unreal 4.13 plus a lot of modifications we have made ourselves. Because of that, we aren't going to be completely updating the engine for this game. There are bits and pieces from newer versions of Unreal that we have pulled in as we have needed them.

How hard it is to update the engine is largely based on how much you have changed yourself. If you made few changes, then there's a good chance you can update without too much trouble. However, as your usage of the engine gets more complicated and you add your own features to it, updating can get very expensive. At this point, the time it would take to update our codebase, integrate all of our engine changes and then fix everything that breaks in the process is time that would be better spent working on the game itself.

All our lighting is dynamic - it's hard to do static lighting in a procedural world. (It's not completely impossible - we experimented with it a bit.) So, while the day/night cycle isn't built into the engine, it's not that difficult to modulate the main sun light over time to simulate day and night.

Good question but the answer is: we don't know yet. It will depend a lot on how well the OpenGL path is running in the final version of the game and how much the UE codebase has changed (i.e. how complicated it will be to merge in the Vulkan driver from UE).