Sign in to follow this  
Guillaume

FAQ: I'm having trouble launching the game, what should I do? [UPDATED]

Ok so I am on Windows 10 and I get stuck at the "Happy is the country with no past" screen. Here is what is happening/I noticed.

It says (for me because I remapped keys) "Right Ctrl - Continue" which does nothing. No keys work at all. If I bring up task manager or Tab out, it will bring up the menu options however. If I look at task manager, the status flips from active to not responding and back again. I tried Windowed mode and lowering the quality but that didn't do anything.

Turns out it just wanted the original jump button to be pressed which was the space bar (The one key I apparently didn't hit) Feel free to move this to the bugs area or just delete it out right.

I'm not sure if this is the best place for my comment or if there's a better forum/thread to put it in. The system requirements as listed on the Compulsion Games website and the Kickstarter page do not mention that a 64bit version of Windows is required to run the game.

Whilst a 64bit requirement is mentioned on the Steam and GoG store pages, that information wasn't available when I bought the game as a Kickstarter backer. It was therefore an unpleasant surprise to discover that my 32bit Windows 7 computer isn't capable of running the game, when the only information that had been available to me said nothing about needing the 64bit version. Fortunately I have a Windows 10 laptop as well so I'm able to install and play it there instead, but the lack of information available could easily have resulted in having bought a game that won't run on my computer despite it meeting all the listed required specs at the time I bought it.

Might I suggest updating your website to specify that a 64bit operating system is required?

@Haethel thanks for this, you're absolutely right. 64 bit was listed in French, but not in English. We have updated the specs.

@Gemma123 I'm assuming you are playing on PC. Can you confirm that with the most recent update, this issue is still occuring for you?

Cannot get the game to launch. Ive seen a lot of comments above and in other discussions but all going back to 2015 whereas it now Dec 2016 and I'm running Win 10 with 16GB and Radion RX 470 Phenom x6. The links to update things go back to win 7 issues in 2015 and clearly my system is more up to date. Its there a suggestion as to how I can try to make it run? Thanks

@peter2055

We are currently looking for a fix for this issue, would you mind emailing us at support@compulsiongames.com with some more information?

Your dxdiag:

Press Windows + R

Type dxdiag and press enter

'Save All Information…'

Attach dxdiag.txt to email

And your saved file:

1. From your Windows desktop, press the Windows key + R together. This will bring up the “Run” dialog. Type in %LOCALAPPDATA%\GlimpseGame and press Ok.

2. This will bring up a File Explorer window showing the directory where the game stores its local data. You should see a folder called Saved.

3. Right-click on the Saved folder, select Send to and then Compressed (zipped) folder.

4. This will create a zip file called Saved. On your system it may be called Saved or Saved.zip depending upon your settings. If you can’t tell the two apart, look at the “Type” column and note the zipper on the icon of the compressed folder.

5. Attach compressed folder to email

Thank you!

Cannot get the game to launch. Ive seen a lot of comments above and in other discussions but all going back to 2015 whereas it now Dec 2016 and I'm running Win 10 with 16GB and Radion RX 470 Phenom x6. The links to update things go back to win 7 issues in 2015 and clearly my system is more up to date. Its there a suggestion as to how I can try to make it run? Thanks

The information might be older, but it's still relevant for Windows 7.

One thing you could try which might give us more information is to launch the game directly. First shut down Steam, then navigate to steamapps\common\WeHappyFew\GlimpseGame\Binaries\Win64 and run GlimpseGame.exe.

Sometimes, for whatever reason, launching through Steam hides error dialog boxes which would otherwise tell us what's going on. If there's no error and the game advances far enough to create log files, then the Saved directory will have these logs as per Stephanie's directions.

Thanks very much for your helpful comments, I did get the game to launch but by a round about route which doesn't help people using win 10. I reinstalled Win7 Home Premium on an unused SSD drive and I intend using a hot swap caddy to hold my ssds. One booting win 10 and the other win 7 so I can play this game. The installation was straight forward once I had re-installed steam. It was very gratifying when I began to realize that it would run but I did use up a fair amount of time and exasperation in trying to make windows 10 work. Im very pleased that I can now play the game. My hardware appears fine. Graphics being maxed out so it certainly wasn't a hardware issue.