Sign in to follow this  
Guillaume

FAQ: I'm having trouble launching the game, what should I do? [UPDATED]

For anyone else who had trouble getting the game to start, I had to run the GlimpseGame.exe directly to get an error message. Then I had to rename/remove a DLL file and reinstall DirectX.

Problem: WHF does not start at all. Also, %localappdata%\ has no GlimpseGame\ directory or anything similar, so there was no log file to check for messages.

Status: The game is very slow to start, but it at least now starts.

Troubleshooting actions: Verified that all drivers are updated. Verified that Windows updates are all installed. Updated DirectX. Tried recommended startup options, including -SM4. Uninstalled, cleaned up, and re-installed multiple times. Ran Steam cache verification for WHF. Ran Steam://flushconfig and restarted directly from steam.exe.

Steam\SteamApps\common\Glimpse\ has the following folders: _CommonRedist\, Engine\, and GlimpseGame\. I finally tried running GlimpseGame.exe directly and got the following error: windows\system32\x3dAudio1_7.dll is either not designed to run on Windows or it contains an error. Error status 0xc000012f

As noted above, I reinstalled DirectX and continued to get the error message. I renamed it to x3dAudio1_7.old and ran the DirectX installer again to put down a new version of the .dll file. When I ran, GlimpseGame.exe, the dll error message no longer appeared, and the game finally ran (albeit very slowly).

Computer Specs:

CPU: Intel Core i7 4700MQ 2.40 GHz

RAM: 8 GB

Display Adapter: Nvidia GeForce GT 750M

Hi everyone,

I was wondering if I could find a solution for a very annoying issue I am having with the game. I have two computers, one of which is an Alienware 17, and the other, a Dell XPS 12. I installed We Happy Few on my Alienware, which has Windows 7, and the game worked perfectly. However, when I tried starting up the game on my XPS 12, which has Windows 8.1, an error message popped up, saying: "MSVCP120.dll is missing from your computer. " I am unsure what to do next, and any help will be appreciated!

Thanks,

seislund

@seislund

That's one of Microsoft's redistributable libraries. Normally Steam is supposed to detect when you don't have it and install it before first running the game, but that fails sometimes. You can install the redist manually by downloading it from Microsoft's website. Alternatively, if you'd like to avoid a download, you can navigate to your game folder under your Steam install directory, the SteamApps/Common/Glimpse/Engine/Extras/Redist/en-us and run the UE4PrereqSetup_x64.msi file there, which includes most redistributables including the aforementioned one.

I looked through this, but I'm still not sure how to fix my issue.

I have an Alienware M17x R3 and I'm running Windows 7 ultimate, the computer is about 4 years old but runs well still, despite some minor issues. I can play other games including Contrast, they run fine with minimal to no glitches depending on the game, so I'm fairly certain the problem's not on my end, though there might be a fix on my end certainly. I also have 8 gigs of RAM.

I can open the game window, it takes a very long time to open, but it opens eventually. There's no real indication that it's opening, Steam just tells me it's already running and then after a while of nothing it just pops up, fullscreen. I haven't touched the options, it's all default, fullscreen 16:9 ratio, all that jazz.

The menue isn't particularly slow to respond, the buttons click, the noises the buttons make make their noise right as I click, but the music in the background of the menue is so choppy I can't even tell what the tune is supposed to sound like. It seemed to otherwise work, so I paid it no mind. I started a new game and up popped the loading screen, no issue. It tells me things it's doing at the bottom, it gives me tips and pointers on screen, the loading bar moves, it occasionally animates oddly, but nothing major, just small pauses and running backwards occasionally.

Then it goes black. I'm not sure if it's done loading at this point on that screen, as it has generally been on the screen for a long time. But the whole game just goes black, nothing happens no matter how long I wait and I can't get out of the black screen. I can't cheat my way out of it, I can't find a way to minimize or close it, I have to shut off my entire computer and turn it back on.

I'm at a loss, I'm not sure what to try in order to fix this.

Hi @Pavatti!

I'm sorry you're having trouble. Have you tried the steps at the top of this thread? It would make it easier for us to figure out the problem (and - failing that - sending us your log file).

Thank you!

Guillaume.

I haven't played We Happy Few for a while now, mostly because I was moving across the world, and when I tried to start it up it wouldn't work. I got a notie that Bootstrapper wasn't working, and then the option to wait or close the program. Then Steam crashed.

It doesn't seem to matter where I try to launch from, desktop or Steam, the game won't start.

I've completely uninstalled, reinstalled, and tried again with the same results. I even used the windowed line mentioned here to have the game opened in windowed mode instead of fullscreen.

I'd really like to play this again, can anyone help me please? Thanks!

Hey @Salios,

That sounds more like an issue with Steam than We Happy Few... Seems to be a common issue from a cursory search and randomly happens with other games.

Do you have any other Steam games and do they work properly?

WHF has been waiting to update for a few months now - steam says an update is queued, and when I try to open the game, I get a message that the content is still encrypted. ab74ba0b9e.png

Steam support is entirely unhelpful, which isn't surprising, and it hasn't really been too pressing of an issue until this new patch came out so I haven't said anything before now. Haven't done anything to the game files themselves, but should I verify the game cache? Should I uninstall and reinstall? Any help would be appreciated.

Hey @dash;

It's the first time we encounter this message. The build should not be encrypted in any way. I would try uninstalling and reinstalling. If you're still getting the error after that, I'll parse through the message board and ask Valve if I don't find the issue. In all cases, please accept my personal apologies if you're having trouble running the game!

Guillaume.

Hi, I have a laptop that attempts to run your game. When I start the game, the screen slowly gets black. I press , the game works fine until it tries to load loot, buildings and decorations. Then the game freezes. My graphics card is a Intel® HD Graphics 530 which was 993 on the link Nalia gave when I clicked " here" on your comment.

Any help would be appreciated thanks!

Hey @wehappyfew2u, did you try the steps Guillaume wrote? Just before I call in the big guns ( @Camille )

No I didn't because when the game would crash it told me " video driver crashed and was reset! Make sure your video drivers are up to date." I am not very tech savvy so I didn't really understand if I'd need to change the graphic settings on my whole computer or just for the game in Guillaume's instructions. If that is what I have to do for this issue, could I please have some step by step instructions. Thank you so much.

@wehappyfew2u,

That message is usually displayed by Windows when the graphics driver crashes for some reason and Window does an emergency recovery of sorts. It's an issue in the driver rather than the game and not something we can do much about.

You can try updating your drivers as suggested by the message. You should be able to find the appropriate driver for an Intel HD 530 on Intel's website here. Get the 64-bit .exe version and run it to install an updated driver.

Hi,

I posted this in the general discussion becuse of some confusion. Sorry for that. Can you solve the issue below.

I tried running the game on the two PCs I had, one is extremely low end:

i5-4200, Intel HD 4000, 4 GB RAM, Win-10

On this PC the game ran with a lot of lag, but it worked.

On my better PC (Due to GPU):

i3-2100, AMD HD 7770, 4 GB RAM, Win 8.1, the game isn't opening at all. I click on We Happy Few and it shows for a second that it's running on the Steam Library and then it goes back to normal. No black screen or anything of that sort.

Please help

у меня просто игра не запускается в стиме помогите я обновил уже все умоляю ждал игру

mon jeu se lance meme pas depuis steam je masturbe le bouton play et il ne se passe rien. au moin ca permet de tester la fonction remboursement

Hi -was so super eager to start playing this fun-fest, however when I came to install it wouldn't even let me past the first hurdle stating installer parts are missing - so I abandon set-up and it freezes. I'm Windows 8.1, all up to date with DirectX/Runtime etc CPU @ 2.50 - 64 bit with more than enough space. Any ideas?

@mickalala

Salut,

As tu essayer les étapes dans le poste?

@PrincessD

Hello,

Did you try the steps in the main post?

I need help bad wheni play the game everything alright until I go on the main menu then everything green wtf I but when I start new game every still green I can't see nothing but green