Sign in to follow this  
octo

My (excessively detailed) thoughts about the encounters currently in game.

AKA: more of my thoughts than anyone ever asked for or wanted :)

What inspired this post was the video that compulsion posted the other day about the whole process of creating encounters. I love the vast majority of the encounters currently in game, and since we are presumably going to be seeing a lot more of them, I thought they might be interested in some thoughts what I love about them, and what ones I would change.

TLDR; I like quests that provide personality and humanity to the wellies and wastrels.

SORRY FOR THE LONG POST! I WOULD LOVE TO HEAR EVERYONE ELSES THOUGHTS!

Awkward Courtship, If You Give a Pig a Pancake, Duck Soup, Everybody Must Get Stoned, Wild Picnic, Biological Hazard, & First Marriage I enjoy all these quest. I think it’s a good introduction to the world and is an excellent way of showcasing some of the extremes of the Wastrel population. I think, for the most part, the loot rewards make sense (much more so with this current update) I appreciated these quests more on subsequent play-through because they did such a good job of highlighting the differences between the Wellie and Wastrel population. Duck Soup is one of my favorite quests on the first island. The lore in “If You Give a Pig a Pancake” is incredible and if we don’t get to meet Dr. Verloc at some point I am going to be sad.

Mine Mine All Mine: I think the logic of this quest makes a lot more sense now than it did pre-update. The biggest issue I have currently is I have no desire to play stealthy. It’s relatively easy to kill or take down everybody in the quest, and this is HUGELY beneficial because it gives me tons of high-quality weapons that I otherwise wouldn’t find until I hit Hamlyn. Since there is nothing positive shown about this group of Wastrels, I don’t feel guilty about doing this. They’re just a bunch of assholes hoarding all the goodies. Maybe some lore or a cut scene showing them in a more positive light or adding some personality to them would change this.

Crazy Legs: I didn’t care about this one at all until the cut scene was added. I always feel like shit after Eric calls Arthur out for changing, and Arthur says “what have I become?” I genuinely felt conflicted about completing this a few times, because the recipe was super useful but I didn’t want to attack Eric. Excellent job on this one.

The Treehouse Quest Line: Johnny Bolton is hilarious. Love him and his dolls. I defiantly got the sense that there was some truth behind his madness. I really hope this quest line goes further in future updates/1.0.

Hallucinogenic Salad: I love the introduction with shit flying out of the windows and someone jumping to their death andthe “nonsensical” ramblings of the drugies that actually adds a lot to the story. The one thing I would change is that, by the time I get to this quest I usually have more mushrooms than I could use and have unlocked the hallucinogen formula long ago. The quest would be more meaningful to me personally if there was a bigger benefit to exploring the house, such as the mushrooms being rarer in the outside world, or the quest being the only way to get the formula.

Sweets: I feel like I’m missing something with this one. I do appreciate the setting and was interested in the idea of Wastrels auctioning off their stuff but that was never addressed outside the signs in the house, and I couldn’t make anything useful with the sugar.

Flower Picking: This is the most disappointing quest in game for me. I was SUPER intrigued by the setup with the wastrels dancing with shovels and shrubbery hats, and I loved the trippy music, and that if you talked to any of the people dancing they gave you some weird-ass dialogue about how YOU made them feel better that I haven’t heard anywhere else in game. But then the only objective was to pick flowers, and the people kept dancing and nothing else happened.

Based off the notes in the quest journal, it seems like this is quest is supposed to educate the player about harvestables? But by Lud’s Holm you have harvested everything a million times. I guess I would fix this by moving this to the first island to be an educational quest about harvesting, or add some sort of story to the set up.

I Yam What I Yam: By far my favorite quest on the second island. Atmosphere is intriguing as hell. It provided just enough detail about the yam worshipers so I felt satisfied but still intrigued when the quest ended. The “blessing” the yam gets you and the phytosteorid formula are solid rewards. I wish I could do something special with the holy yam.

Feels Like Rain, Tits Up Downer, House of Curious Behaviors, Madame’s Magic Wand, Popped Popper, & Public Works: These quests are an awesome intro to Wellington Wells. The changes made to House of Curious Behaviors were perfect, and I love that quest for being both interesting and giving me choice in how to handle it (do I get an invitation? Do I climb in the vents?) with both options being plausible and rewarding in their own way. Really, all of these quests showcase the delusion of the Wellies really well and it’s a stark contrast to the quests in the garden districts where the people seem like they’re doing what they do to survive or cope.

OD Wellie (I think the name on that one is wrong): Love this quest. This should appear in every play through. Seeing her go from Wellie to Downer, and have her friends and family instantly turn on her, was fucking sad and really eye opening. Based on in-game lore, I kind of figured that’s what happene but SEEING it made me hate the Wellies. But then all the other quests showed how completely delusional they were so that made it harder to hate them because they don’t know any better. Ugh. This quest changed the way I look at Wellies (for better AND worse) and it’s really well done.

Super Meat Boy & The Butcher Quest Line: holy shit the implications of the last part of this quest...add more! The whole ‘Possibly Henious Package’ segment blew my mind. THERE’S NO WAY THE WELLIES ARE DOING WHAT I THINK THEY’RE DOING...right? They probably are. God damn this quest was good.

I noticed some hints in the weekly updates that there’s more coming for Cutty’s story which makes me scared and delighted at the same time.

Also, fuck the plough boys.

Mother’s Little Helper: this is one of my favorite quests from the new update. The atmosphere and tone in that house is gruesome and terrifying and perfect. I would love more of this quest or more quests similar to it, but that’s just me being greedy.

Moon Juice Leach, The Things We Buried, & Speakers Corner: Maybe these quests are still in their development cycle, but it feels like something is missing from all of them. Is the whole dealing contraband moteline thing important (because it’s interesting! I want to come with the bobbies when they pay pawn shop guy a visit!) or is it just banter between the bobbies? The treasure quest feels like 99% complete to me; what threw me off the most was the reward at the end because it made no sense considering the dialogue between Arthur and Annie earlier. Perhaps a lore entry, or a child’s toy (like one of those random dolls you find in the hoarder house)?

Church of Simon Says & Sympathy For The Devil: I’ve had some bugs with these two, but when they work, they are great. The challenge of getting into Nick’s house is awesome. More stuff like that! I also appreciated that you took gave Arthur a reason for wanting to get involved in the Simon Says game. I don’t have any meaningful feedback for these two but I defiantly have fun with them. I love that they are different than a lot of the other quests in game and really enjoyed what they added to the story.

Thanks for reading :) Would love to here others opinions :)

Flower Picking: This is the most disappointing quest in game for me. I was SUPER intrigued by the setup with the wastrels dancing with shovels and shrubbery hats, and I loved the trippy music, and that if you talked to any of the people dancing they gave you some weird-ass dialogue about how YOU made them feel better that I haven’t heard anywhere else in game. But then the only objective was to pick flowers, and the people kept dancing and nothing else happened.

I think it's a bit bugged or unfinished. Because in the gameplay trailer there's a shot of "flower Wastrels" attacking you. Also, not sure how useful it is, because I've encountered this quest only once, but in my case there were some other lines: one guy said something along the lines of "Stop rummaging through my things" and another said something about a ghost (a hint at Walkabout quest, I assume).

I Think You Should Get A Special Cutscene For When You Kill The Pack Leader, Because It's Just You Looking At The Corpse For About 15 Seconds (Yes I Used Dev Cheats To Get A Powerful Weapon)

Everytime I have done it im immediately attacked upon picking them.

Its a fine way to acquire a s*** load of shovels tbh :o